IGNORED

Congressional Medal of Honor Awarded TODAY - April 8

Firefight911

Firefight911

Regardless of your political views, regardless of your understanding of the ongoing war . . .

Today, April 8, President Bush will be awarding the Congressional Medal of Honor Posthumously for a Navy SEAL who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

Here's a link to an article about it - LINKY

If you have a flag, fly it. If you served in ANY of the Armed Services, thank you. If you are the parent or family member of a service member, thank you. If you know someone in the Armed Services, thank THEM.

As a former Sergeant in the U.S. Marine Corps (1985 - 1991), allow me to say Thank You to PO2 Mansoor, his family, his friends, and his fellow service men and women for his sacrifice.

NBC Nightly news will be running a story on his life and sacrifice tonight on NBC Nightly News.

I could not agree more. Having served in the Army 69-71, I understand this has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with service.

Thanks Phil for bringing this to our attention.

russell_bynum

Thanks for letting us know.

The Stars and Stripes is flying proudly on our house today, same as every day.

Allow me to say thank you as well.

I just relayed this (via IM) to my son-in-law who is serving as a Special Forces Green Beret in Iraq as we speak. (It's about the only way to communicate with him on a day to day basis). Jordan heard about this as well but wasn't aware it happened today.

God Bless all our troops over there.

Mike O

(kinda puts things into perspective when we're battling over nationalized health care and oil doesn't it?)

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." -- George S. Patton

Petty Officer 2nd Class Michael A. Monsoor I raise my glass and salute you!

The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war.

Gen Douglas MacArthur

Godspeed Petty Officer 2nd Class Michael A. Monsoor.

Your sacrifice was not in vain nor has it gone unnoticed. Your valor is the best demonstration of patriotism there can ever be.

Slyder_Steve

Thanks Phil, you're a great friend and patriot!

PO2 Monsoor, I lift my glass to your courage under fire and hope that, given the circumstance, I'd have the guts to do the same.

Slyder

xbubblehead
Thanks for letting us know.

The Stars and Stripes is flying proudly on our house today, same as every day.

+1 thumbsup.gif

388_detail.jpg

My father was killed in Korea on Dec. 24, 1950. Do I qualify for thanks ? Just kidding, I well know that it is my father that earned the thanks. I just got his benefits which put me through college. Talk about guilt. No way I deserved that money.

Firefight911
My father was killed in Korea on Dec. 24, 1950. Do I qualify for thanks ? Just kidding, I well know that it is my father that earned the thanks. I just got his benefits which put me through college. Talk about guilt. No way I deserved that money.

Yes, you deserve the thanks for it is not just those that face the fire of bullets and mortar that endure the ravages of war.

Thank You!

The only guilt you should endure is having been provided the opportunity and squandering it.

Firefight911
Woah, how did I squander it ? You do not know me or my life.

Not what I was implying AT ALL!!!! I think it goes without saying that you did NOT squander it. Hence your post and its content.

My apology if your take on my statement was one of implication of impropriety or lack or applying one's self in their life's endeavor.

too old to care
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." -- George S. Patton

Petty Officer 2nd Class Michael A. Monsoor I raise my glass and salute you!

The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war.

Gen Douglas MacArthur

Amen!

Sorry Phil, I did misinterpret your post. Not your fault at all. Just a sensitive spot for me. When I reflect on my life it is a constant that I ask myself if I did enough to honor the gift that my father and the VA gave to me. I believe I did. Whenever I read about a Medal of Honor being rewarded I pull out my father's medals and reflect on his sacrifice and my obligation. I am so thankful to all the men and women that serve.

I reflected a lot on this newspiece in the last few days. I began to consider human attributes that I hold most dear, and certainly at the very top are bravery, patriotism, and love for one's fellow man. Honor. That whole diving on a grenade thing is such classic war imagery - I'm sure many of us have run the scenario through our minds. Would you have done it? Tough question for some, easy for others, but only those silent few who have done it really knew the answer. What goes through one's mind before diving on a grenade? Here's my chance to be a hero? I don't think so, no time for that. I'm guessing that after you endure difficult training and begin your mission, working alongside men and women as a team and always at personal risk, accepting the obligation to protect one another by pledging your life, that jumping on a grenade becomes almost a natural act. Instinctive preservation of life at any cost with no forethought. There are people wired like this. These people are in your workplace, they are among you in restaurants, and they are on this board.

I have the utmost respect for those who serve. It doesn't matter if you haven't jumped on a grenade. It doesn't matter if you dove from one either. The fact that you pledged a chunk of your breathing days in service of this country (or other liberty and freedom loving countries) is certainly enough.

So very many of us are fortunate to be born into our existences. The men and women who serve in armed forces understand this at a unique level, if not at first then they get it as they become soldiers. It grows within you. Honor, Pride, Service. People who give. Pretty cool.

Regardless of your political views, regardless of your understanding of the ongoing war . . .

Absolutely. I caught this on the news last night, and was both saddened and humbled. An honor well deserved.

One of my partners just finished a 30 day stint at the hospital in Kandahar. Most of the injured brought in were Afghans, a few Canadians. Another just did 3 months with a Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors without borders) hospital in Sudan. Makes my previous experience in a regional Level 1 Trauma Center seem like a picnic.

Mike Cassidy

A tragic story, but a great act of bravery.

I spent a lot of time in the military, and it was truly humbling. The sense of patriotism, allegiance to one's comrades, and willingness to sacrifice were common virtues, and not the exception.

Thank you, Petty Officer Monsoor.

Archived