IGNORED

Musical empires

GelStra

My kids & I heard "Margaritaville" on the radio this AM on the way to school and it got me commenting on what a business empire had been based off that one song. Frozen foods, restaurants, margarita makers & mixes, Sirius radio channel.....I mean, we've been talking about the space shuttle a bit here, but, wow, what a launch pad!

Can you think of any other comparable...brand name (?) created from just one song? I couldn't.

Sez you?

cabowabo.jpg

cabo_wabo2.jpg

Sammy Hagar took a song he wrote with Van Halen, "Cabo Wabo," and turned it into a multimillion dollar brand name, first as a cantina in Cabo San Lucas and then a tequila (good stuff too!), products, etc. It is arguably not as widespread a brand as "Margaritaville," but selling off 80% of his interest in the tequila business/distribution for around 80 million after putting nearly twenty years between 1990-2007 into the business isn't too bad of an investment payoff.

pp2.jpg

I think his musical career has suffered a bit because of it since he has focused on making the brand synonymous with his name and persona, the consequence being that he comes off more as a businessman/salesman than a musician rock star, but it's difficult to argue with his lifestyle the last 15 years or so since quitting and/or being fired (depends on who's telling the story) from Van Halen.

livin_cover_final300.jpg

I wonder how much the NFL and other sports leagues paid Gary Glitter in royalties for "Rock and Roll (Part 2)." That is, until his child abuse convictions poisoned the well. Maybe not comparable, but its gotta be a lotta coin.

It brings to my mind the Beach Boys. I can't peg a single product, but they launched a "culture". In fact one could argue that they helped "create" Jimmy Buffet since they embodied a beach feel well before his time.

Some other notables:

Lawrence Welk: inventor of the champaign bubble.

Liberace: inventor of the sequin.

Elvis: inventor of the pelvis.

dopeslap.giflmao.gif

Archived