IGNORED

Teleportation as transportation

leikam

Is teleportation an ideal mode of transportation?  

177 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Assume teleportation were possible and worked flawlessly however you imagine that to be. It's safe, reliable, effective, efficient, fast, secure, affordable, private, etc. Think of going to work or running errands or just to visit a friend. What about intercontinental travel? For lunch?

In your vision of the world, would it be an ideal mode of transportation?

Depends on... your reason for travel... to experience the journey, or to simply arrive. Sometimes I want one and sometimes the other.

russell_bynum

Absolutely.

I want to keep my bikes and a car for fun, but for 95% of my travel, that would be ideal.

Lone_RT_rider
Absolutely.

I want to keep my bikes and a car for fun, but for 95% of my travel, that would be ideal.

Can you imagine the reduction in traffic in that sitation? Riding a motorcycle would take on a completely different perspective. smile.gif

Shawn

Yeah, but if transporters were safe, reliable, effective, efficient, fast, secure, affordable, private, etc., then there probably wouldn't be any roads.

Yup, beam me up Scotty.

I can't even begin to tell you how great that transporter would be during the winter driving season. smile.gif

And when all roads are gone, well we can have transporter racing...I'll bet I can beat ya to ........

Ready?

3-2-1 TRANSPORT!

Yeah, but if transporters were safe, reliable, effective, efficient, fast, secure, affordable, private, etc., then there probably wouldn't be any roads.

Not a problem! Get a GS! grin.gif

Dave McReynolds

Depends on whether it's really me that gets assembled from random molecules at the other end, or some new person who just looks and acts like me.

Dave McReynolds

Depends on whether it's really me that gets assembled from random molecules at the other end, or some new person who just looks and acts like me.

Which might be okay, if they could do a little maintenance during the re-assembly and get a few of my parts working a little better than they do now.

Assume teleportation were possible and worked flawlessly however you imagine that to be. It's safe, reliable, effective, efficient, fast, secure, affordable, private, etc. Think of going to work or running errands or just to visit a friend. What about intercontinental travel? For lunch?

In your vision of the world, would it be an ideal mode of transportation?

I prefer astral projection unless I need to be somewhere in the flesh. grin.gif

Assuming everyone has one in their home, it would be ideal if it were the latest technology at the time. I also assume there is some cost associated with it much like filling your vehicle w. gasoline now. At some point, everything is eclipsed by a newer/better method. Maybe someday, green advocates will be griping that teleporting is too wasteful.

Dave McReynolds

That was enjoyable. I followed the path followed by 15% of about 130 thousand or so people who took the journey. From past discussions on this board, I think I could reasonably predict who would be in the 15% with me, and who would take some other path.

They missed the obvious solution to the second problem. Use the blueprint from the teletransporter to reconstruct the pre-viral me.

Can you imagine the reduction in traffic in that situation?

Shawn

Except for the lines a the teleporters, especially during rush hour teleportation time...

And if you had one at home, how would you keep people from 'popping in' uninvited, so to speak?

Regardless of how (and where) you move from A to B, there will be traffic somewhere... frown.gif

-Killjoy smirk.gif

They missed the obvious solution to the second problem. Use the blueprint from the teletransporter to reconstruct the pre-viral me.

Yep - there's the rub - but if it's the pre-viral you, then perhaps it isn't really you at all, since you will have 'lost' all the time/experience/memory of the intervening time.

And what about that backup of you? What should happen if, through no fault of your own, you are inadvertently recreated twice? Who gets the retirement account, house and the R2500RT? (Which is really a 3 liter bike, but called a 2500 for retro, marketing purposes...) :D

And if someone were to kill (one of) you, would it really be murder, since it/you were only a copy? (And would it even be a serious crime, since another 'you' could be could be recreated to replace the 'dead' copy, anyway?)

Way too many science fiction novels to contemplate...

Archived