IGNORED

R.I.P. Charlton Heston

RichEdwards

RichEdwards

Charlton Heston has died at 84. An interesting American and winner of the Academy Award for best actor, I prefer to remember him in "Will Penney" rather than "Planet of the Apes" and as an early Hollywood proponent of civil rights rather than the spokesman for the National Rifle Association. He gave a moving speech in 2002, really a goodbye speech, when he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. Link to story

I prefer to remember him in "Will Penney"

Agreed thumbsup.gif......Not a big production but I really enjoy that movie....Filmed in the Sierra's near Mammoth Lakes......

Phil.........Redbrick

I confess my first thought was in response to Mr Heston's "They can have my gun when they pry it out of my cold dead hands", yet while typing I recall the advice of a Roman poet (Plinius ?), namely, "Of the dead nothing but good should be said". Certainly Charlton Heston is beyond my dubious attempt at satire. So OK Rest in Peace.

Wooster

I confess my first thought was in response to Mr Heston's "They can have my gun when they pry it out of my cold dead hands", yet while typing I recall the advice of a Roman poet (Plinius ?), namely, "Of the dead nothing but good should be said". Certainly Charlton Heston is beyond my dubious attempt at satire. So OK Rest in Peace.

Wooster

I was trying to figure out how to say basically the same thing, but you came up with it better than I could.

To me there were two Charlton Hestons: The movie star whom I greatly liked, and the activist whom I greatly disliked. RIP.

Wooster

I was trying to figure out how to say basically the same thing, but you came up with it better than I could.

To me there were two Charlton Hestons: The movie star whom I greatly liked, and the activist whom I greatly disliked. RIP.

You don't mean you dislike him, do ya????????

Ya disagree with him??????????

I like you Ken.

grin.gif

"Take Your Stinking Hands Off Of Me You Damn Dirty Ape!"

Whip

AdventurePoser

Wooster

Oh, oh...here it comes... lmao.gif

lurker.gif

Steve in So Cal

"To me there were two Charlton Hestons: The movie star whom I greatly liked, and the activist whom I greatly disliked. RIP."

Ok Ken,

Let's see. Liked Heston as a movie star. +1. As an activist, you disliked him. -1. Wait a minute, we need a recount. "He (Heston) began as a liberal and aside from his film appearances, Heston was a civil rights activist in the 1960s, marching beside Martin Luther King, served as president of the Screen Actors Guild from 1966-1971, sat on the National Council of the Arts during those same years."

Which activist were you referring to?

Jerry_75_Guy
One my favs.....

bncry.gif

Mine too. He'll be missed.

I shudder at the prospect of contracting Alzheimers, but he had a long and very accomplished life; I can only hope to have a life one tenth as productive as his.

I liked his films a lot and respected him for taking a stand even if I didn't agree. You knew where he stood on stuff. A quality that is in itself worthy. I just wish I could keep from getting him confused with Burt Lancaster.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

IMHO he was a very accomplished actor and I enjoyed his work. I remember watching Ben Hur when I was very young. The chariot race was one of my favorite scenes of course. RIP Mr. Heston.

Rich, thanks for mentioning Heston's involvement in the civil rights struggle

A few facts:

As part of a Hollywood contingent, Heston marched at Selma along side of Dr. King. At other marches too.

He was known for physically joining protests and pickets of restaurants and businesses that discriminated against non-whites.

He was also known for using his clout to demand that African Americans be hired on his films, not only as actors, but as technicians as such.

Later on, he committed the ostensibly egregious sin of changing parties, suggesting that affirmative action was also discrimination, and taking sides with pro-lifers.

Oh yeah, he became president of the NRA and a spokesman for 2nd amendment rights.

A few years ago, a certain documentary filmmaker slandered him with dishonest editing, making him look like a heartless and subtly racist gun-nut.

Then, a Hollywood know-it-all (GC) publicly made fun of his Alzheimer's disease. When criticized for it, he said that Heston deserved it for being a despicable person.

Those of you who think that Heston changed his mind about civil rights and turned into the aforementioned bad person, well, you have a right to your opinion.

I respectfully disagree.

RIP Charlton Heston.

(Sorry for getting a bit political, but it has bothered me ever since the MM movie and GC's snide comments)

You don't mean you dislike him, do ya????????

Ya disagree with him??????????

No, actually, dislike was the correct word. There are people whom I disagree with, but like, mostly when they can intelligently and articulately defend their position on the subject at hand.

Then there are people I disagree with and dislike. People who are obnoxious about their position and are often insulting to those who disagree with them. In his activist roles, in particular with the NRA, I thought him to be the latter.

Then there are people I disagree with and dislike. People who are obnoxious about their position and are often insulting to those who disagree with them. In his activist roles, in particular with the NRA, I thought him to be the latter.

Where's that :bite's my tongue: icon...? tongue.gif

Where's that :bite's my tongue: icon...? tongue.gif

I was thinking the same thing tongue.gif . Gees glass houses , huh . oops it slipped .

I did not see the icon and if I had I would not have used it.

Dang it, now I can't find the "shocked" one either!

wave.gif Hi Keith!

Hi Matt

You have a great evening. Not much of it left for you being on the right coast and all. I am off to BBQ some salmon. Later.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ben Hur. Very memorable.

The news today mentioned Ben Hur and Planet of the Apes, but very little mention was made of his role in The Ten Commandments. I guess he had a number of memorable movies, didn't he? thumbsup.gif

They showed some clips from the last interview he gave, shortly after he announced he was suffering from Alzheimer's. He seemed very dignified, resolved to accept whatever comes: "what cannot be cured must be endured," he said at the time.

RIP, Mr. Heston. You will be missed.

beemerman2k

Those of you who think that Heston changed his mind about civil rights and turned into the aforementioned bad person, well, you have a right to your opinion.

I respectfully disagree.

RIP Charlton Heston.

I'm with you on this one Ron. I respectfully disagree with such criticisms as well. Heston didn't just take a position, he took a strong position on a matter! But I personally think he was right on both counts. He certainly has my respect and honor as a Great American, that's for sure.

steve.foote

I respectfully disagree.

RIP Charlton Heston.

I'm with you on this one Ron. I respectfully disagree with such criticisms as well. Heston didn't just take a position, he took a strong position on a matter! But I personally think he was right on both counts. He certainly has my respect and honor as a Great American, that's for sure.

+1

Other notable movies which I remember well growing up were Soylent Green and The Omega Man.

I enjoyed reading this speech he delivered.

http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~marcsulf/heston.html

Wow!!!!

Could be the best speech of our time.

thumbsup.gif

I wish I coulda been in the room..

Whip

beemerman2k

I knew and always regarded this man as a Great American, but I had no idea! Absolutely the greatest speech I have ever read, I just wish I could have heard it.

In many ways, long after the warriors of the Civil Rights Movement have laid down their arms, Heston has continued to fight for the ultimate, underlying, and original cause of that movement -- FREEDOM for ALL Americans! thumbsup.gif

I'm sure that many of those who disagreed - or agreed! - with his NRA association never knew of the Time Warner / Ice-T episode. I know I didn't.

Another interesting insight from the speech ...

You simply ... disobey. Peaceably, yes. Respectfully, of course. Nonviolently, absolutely. But when told how to think or what to say or how to behave, we don't. We disobey social protocol that stifles and stigmatizes personal freedom.

I will always remember the feelings that ran through me when I first read the speach that is linked above...I would have paid BIG money to see the reaction of the others in the room at that shareholder conference.

Like him or hate him Charlton Heston was his own man, a compasionate and principled man, and for that alone he deserves respect.

Godspeed, Charlton.

Classy move David. I live 125 miles from Fess's winery and actually stopped in there with some riding buddies and purchased a few bottles back in October.

Archived