IGNORED

Are you being tracked???

velomoto

Probably, not that I really care much or could do anything about it.

If I wish to travel in a spirited fashion I'll pay for the service when asked to.

The problem, for most of us, isn't really that we're being tracked. Being tracked implies that there's some active effort exerted to follow. Instead, our tracks are being recorded in many different ways. Then, at some later date, some thing will sift through that data and maybe flag something it notes as anomalous, or maybe just something that is later considered bad. Or worse, can simply be used against you in some proceeding.

Being watched is bad, but is unlikely because of the manpower required. Being lost in a morass of bureaucracy a la Josef K is a very real, ongoing problem. For a real life example of that happening today, see this.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Not to mention, that in the Bay Area, every time you pass through a toll plaza your license plate is recored. Use Fastrak (electronic toll tag)? Recorded! Oh, and all tha fun stuff telling you the traffic speeds in the bay area? (www.511.org) They read your Fastrak tag then see how long it takes you to get to point "b". They could write you a ticket if you get there too fast- it's just that they haven't allowed it (yet!)

Oh, and we better all stop using credit/debit cards. Pay with cash. The non-trackable kind preferably.

Not to mention, that in the Bay Area, every time you pass through a toll plaza your license plate is recored. Use Fastrak (electronic toll tag)? Recorded! Oh, and all tha fun stuff telling you the traffic speeds in the bay area? (www.511.org) They read your Fastrak tag then see how long it takes you to get to point "b". They could write you a ticket if you get there too fast- it's just that they haven't allowed it (yet!)

Oh, and we better all stop using credit/debit cards. Pay with cash. The non-trackable kind preferably.

The PA turnpike used to do that if you went station to statoin too fast. They had big signs that read "How fast can you afford to go?" with different amounts listed.

Plus, if you work for the city, you've got to worry about the local paper posting your income on its website.

The PA turnpike used to do that if you went station to statoin too fast. They had big signs that read "How fast can you afford to go?" with different amounts listed.
Hmmmm, perhaps it's best I moved as I really used to "enjoy" that road! clap.gif
Being watched is bad, but is unlikely because of the manpower required. Being lost in a morass of bureaucracy a la Josef K is a very real, ongoing problem. For a real life example of that happening today, see this.

Greg - that truly is scary. I've read countless stories of innocent people being caught up in the current airline "watch list" also known as the "terrorist list". It's all funny until you or someone in your family somehow ends up on that list and your life gets turned upside down. eek.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
Plus, if you work for the city, you've got to worry about the local paper posting your income on its website.

Not just the city. Several years ago the Washington Post used the FOIA to collect salary information on federal employees. I don't have the link anymore, but for a time the info was available on their website: type in a name, find out how much money that person makes.

Is it time to line my helmet with aluminim foil? eek.gif

When I still worked for a living, and commuted in the bay area, I had to wrap my fastpass to avoid being charged during the "Free" times with the bike on the bridge. Mylar seemed most effective......

Not just the city. Several years ago the Washington Post used the FOIA to collect salary information on federal employees. I don't have the link anymore, but for a time the info was available on their website: type in a name, find out how much money that person makes.

It's all easy enough to get, as it probably should be. The Chronicle published the top earners from my employer (which sadly didn't include me) and just last week, a much larger portion of the City of SF (and Oakland and San Jose) employees. So, it was more of a timely response to Tom, since he made the SF list.

It's apparently requested often enough at my workplace that they keep copies of all earnings at the ready.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

!

skinny_tom (aka boney)

When I still worked for a living, and commuted in the bay area, I had to wrap my fastpass to avoid being charged during the "Free" times with the bike on the bridge. Mylar seemed most effective......

I don't put the toll tag on the motorcycles. I just register the plates with 'em and I only get charged when I ride through the fastrak lanes. (the rest of the time I'm a carpool.)

I don't put the toll tag on the motorcycles. I just register the plates with 'em and I only get charged when I ride through the fastrak lanes. (the rest of the time I'm a carpool.)

It has been a while, (I am not complaining!), but I don't believe registering plates was an option back then. And the carpool lanes were fastrak optional, and you could even trigger the next lane. So I wrapped. It worked.

Not just the city. Several years ago the Washington Post used the FOIA to collect salary information on federal employees.

I wonder what they wanted that they had to file a FOIA request. Basic salary schedules and adjustments are public record. It never bothered me that the taxpayer knew how much he was shelling out to keep me in motorcycles and gas, etc. He has that right, and he should have it.

Pilgrim

Archived