IGNORED

Watch the Oil Executives?

Rob_Mayes

Just like someone here (Steve I think) predicted: a slap on the hand, waggling of fingers, veiled threats ("The consumer is going to revolt" is one quote I think I heard. Yeah, how?). And then they walked out, got in their limos and were whisked back to their mansions, $140B in profits and $18B in tax breaks firmly in hand.

For the kind of money just one of those guys gets in just a week, I think I could sit in the hot seat for 6 hours every few years and fake sympathy for my customers too.

Just like someone here (Steve I think) predicted: a slap on the hand, waggling of fingers, veiled threats ("The consumer is going to revolt" is one quote I think I heard. Yeah, how?). And then they walked out, got in their limos and were whisked back to their mansions, $140B in profits and $18B in tax breaks firmly in hand.

For the kind of money just one of those guys gets in just a week, I think I could sit in the hot seat for 6 hours every few years and fake sympathy for my customers too.

I'm glad to see nobody's bitter about this...

Paul_Burkett

Not bitter here, I was filling my diesel Sprinter van today and got help from the pump. It stopped its self when it got to $100.00. What a friendly pump. lmao.gif

Jerry_75_Guy

I'm glad to see nobody's bitter about this...

Exactly!

In fact, the nearly incestious relationship between the people I've elected to represent My needs and interests, and the corporations/people whose only moral guidance, and in fact their very raison d'tre, is to make profit from me by the sale of energy dense hydrocarbons (read: 'current energy life blood of modern society'), is a source of warmth and comfort to my very soul (and cardiovascular system) not unlike a big plate of chicken fried steak or deep fried twinkies!! (if they were my only source of calories and nutirtion) wink.gifthumbsup.gif

I mean, Geez! ; where's the 'Ken H' guy get off anyway!? wink.gifgrin.gif

Not bitter here, I was filling my diesel Sprinter van today and got help from the pump. It stopped its self when it got to $100.00. What a friendly pump. lmao.gif
Lucky you!!! dopeslap.gif
Jerry_75_Guy
I think they think we are stupid.

I was about to agree, but upon reflection, I don't think our intellect or cogizance of these particular issues is a large variable in 'their' equations: until other large scale, cost effective options are readily available, they know they have us by the 'short hairs', ie what we think/know is of little consequence to 'them'.

Jerry_75_Guy
Excellent troll. Big Business, Politics and Oil all in one topic!

Yep! wink.gif

And, therefore, by it's very definition, has the makings of both entertainment, and the beginnings of a worthwhile (and completely nonproductive wink.gif) debate grin.gif

With politicians and oil industry execs in the same room, the oil industry execs look like the GOOD guys to me. I see that exercise as nothing more than election-year grandstanding. YMMV.

I see that exercise as nothing more than election-year grandstanding. YMMV.
Given that every single participant knew quite well that there was absolutely nothing that could be said that would affect public policy in any way whatsoever, yes. Dog and pony show.
steve.foote
Anyone watch the grilling of the Oil Executives by congress last night on Cspan? What did you think?

I'm so pleased that they were sternly reprimanded by our representatives. In fact, if I recall correctly, I think one even received the (reserved only for the most vilified witnesses) angry look combined with a pointed finger. There is no doubt that they got the message and fuel prices should return to normal by the end of the week if not sooner.

I'm so glad we have these people looking out for us. cool.gif

Do we have any Fortune 2500 CEO's in here?

steve.foote
I see that exercise as nothing more than election-year grandstanding. YMMV.

Bingo.

Noooooo! Say it isn't so. ooo.gif

There is no doubt that they got the message and fuel prices should return to normal by the end of the week if not sooner.
grin.gif You're on a roll today...
Rider1200RT

The 'grilling' on the Hill is just the usual BS to pacify the masses. The real culprits are the commodity traders who take any oppertunity to drive the price up fueled by hype, hysteria and greed. Fact is that there is plenty of oil and gasoline reserves worldwide. Do a little research....

On a lighter note, if you have stock in an oilcompany than you just watch your 401K go up. smile.gif

...The real culprits are the commodity traders who take any oppertunity to drive the price up fueled by hype, hysteria and greed...

It's almost like a job with those guys!!! dopeslap.gif

AdventurePoser
With politicians and oil industry execs in the same room, the oil industry execs look like the GOOD guys to me. I see that exercise as nothing more than election-year grandstanding. YMMV.

+1 from where I sit...

It's all supply and demand. With a billion plus people on this planet living the wasteful lifestyle we enjoy, and prolly 3-4 billion more who would like to, the situation will only get worse. I wonder at what price point people will actually change their vehicle choice/driving habits?

Cheers,

Steve in So Cal

While many talk the talk about mass transit as if it is just another pill that can be dispensed by a participating physician and/or pharmacist (here, take this commuter rail pill after the Prozac but before the Ambien) ... some of us are actually walking the walk.

Most of them don't even bother to post here. Because for those of us who live in the most densely populated parts of the nation, we look at the rest of you out in the provinces as dimwits of low intellect who can't walk the walk.

Here's the news flash folks ... you can't live in spread-out Suburbia and expect mass transit to come to you. You really do need to increase your effective density enough to warrant the construction of the system. Cars are just that much more efficient at moving people through soulless subdivisions. That efficiency, coupled with insurance and liability concerns, is the nail-in-the-coffin for mass transit systems for all but the most densely concentrated markets.

Those markets are (everybody, now): Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, Chicago and San Francisco. There are others that have nominal transit systems (Minneapolis and Seattle come to mind), but they tend to serve exclusively those who already live in the city center (rather than commuters).

Hey bubby, you want the big house and the two-car garage and separation from your neighbors? Then suck it up and stop complaining. You give all that crap up, and you can do all of your moving around on electrically-powered (cheap, Canadian hydroelectricity in the Northeast) mass transit.

I'm not going to lie to you though (since I'm walking the walk at the moment, the memories are fresh) ... people are pigs, they talk loudly on their cell phones ("I'm on the bus. THE BUS!"), spill coffee, talk badly, dress poorly, are stupid, are ugly ... and sometimes they, eek, smell.

If you think the mass-transit-powers-that-be are going to beat a path to your lily-white door ... forget it. You're going to have to go to it. If that means giving up the accoutrements of the "good life", then that's the price you'll have to pay.

Having done both to extremes (inner-city life in and around New York and the rural bliss of Tennessee), I certainly prefer the latter. But the former is more economically sound. As a result of my lifestyle choices, at the moment, I am well-entitled to call "Hypocrite!" to those of you who will challenge the rest of the nation to meet your call to arms and reduce energy-dependency, while still yourselves continuing to conduct your own affairs in a less than conserving fashion.

Sucks that you can't walk the walk or talk the talk. It's less everybody else's problem and entirely your own. G'luck with that, k?

So, when do we get to complain about the people who said they were going to fix this?
How would you go about that in a non-political manner?
Couchrocket

Yeah.... I did see that... but, I must have missed the hearings where they called all the sub-prime lenders to task, and the banks, and... when was that?

steve.foote
So, when do we get to complain about the people who said they were going to fix this?

Stand by, I'm working out an elaborate system taps and hand signals.

Jerry_75_Guy

Stand by, I'm working out an elaborate system taps and hand signals.

grin.gif My first laugh of the day! Thanks Steve thumbsup.gif

While many talk the talk about mass transit as if it is just another pill that can be dispensed by a participating physician and/or pharmacist (here, take this commuter rail pill after the Prozac but before the Ambien) ... some of us are actually walking the walk.

If you think the mass-transit-powers-that-be are going to beat a path to your lily-white door ... forget it. You're going to have to go to it. If that means giving up the accoutrements of the "good life", then that's the price you'll have to pay.

Sucks that you can't walk the walk or talk the talk. It's less everybody else's problem and entirely your own. G'luck with that, k?

One of the transit agencies in the bay area has announced that it is restricting ridership to people who rode their system before gas prices got to be so high (or a prime motivation, take your pick) because they cannot adequately serve the swell in ridership. WTF! eek.gif

Anyone watch the grilling of the Oil Executives by congress last night on Cspan? What did you think?

I've got a question. I mean, since so many of the participants here seem to think they are being screwed by big oil companies: Just who do you think sets the price of oil? Hint: it ain't the oil company executives.

Pilgrim

I have no sympathy for oil company executives but it's a mystery that they don't question the federal and state tax component on each Gallon of gas sold.

It's not like the total price goes to the oil companies is it?

In addition, you guys and gals in the USA have had cheap gas for years. We in OZ have been mauled, gouged and ripped off for years. You still are a long way behind us in what we pay per litre (as worked out in US Gallons).

You need to come here to become desensitized by paying *our* prices for a while. When you start getting used to the horror that is filling up at one our our service stations, go to the UK for the full treatment.

Those poor bastards can't afford to have a petrol sniffing addiction...

Linz smile.gif

Here's the news flash folks ... you can't live in spread-out Suburbia and expect mass transit to come to you. You really do need to increase your effective density enough to warrant the construction of the system.

Bingo. And for what it's worth, folks who take the train downtown around here don't do so to save gas, they do so to keep them from needing to pay $20 a day parking and spend four hours of their lives in the car every day.

Archived