IGNORED

Tax exemptions for hybrids

tonyla

I just learned that my State does not charge sales tax on the purchase of hybrids providing they get at least 40mpg. I checked out the list, of course just Honda civic and toyota.

A couple things here really burn me up: 1- haven't we all been driving fuel efficient motorcycles for oh lets say the last 80 years or so.2- who's to say the car actually gets that millage after a couple years?

your thoughts?

Don't get me started. crazy.gif

Yes, fuel efficient, less road impact.

Too bad there isn't a tax credit for being so environmentally friendly.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

They ought to tax them more! Burning less gas means that they pay less in taxes to maintain our roads! wink.gif

They ought to tax them more! Burning less gas means that they pay less in taxes to maintain our roads! wink.gif

Or tax them as we do in Minnesota.....mostly by VALUE when buying tabs.

We all know it is VALUE of a vehicle that wears on the roads.

A rusty old 4x4 pickup truck weighing in at 3 tons does a lot more damage to the roads than say a 2008 Civic, but that new Civic gets socked in registration tax.

Afa tax breaks for M/C's. I am sure your legislators were not thinking beyond the mpg rating of cars. Bikes in most northern states are not thought of as commuting vehicles, as they are "put away" 3-6 months of the year. Mostly they are thought of as recreational vehicles....or worse yet, fun little toys.

Bring it up to to your legislators, see if they have time to listen.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
2- who's to say the car actually gets that millage after a couple years?
Our 2002 Prius has gotten an average of 40 mpg for the life of the car or 132,000 miles. In the last year, the mpg has dropped a little, to 39, and we've seen a high of 50 on a trip from Denver to Seattle. I think that the other fuel efficient vehicles, including the late model diesels should get this bonus too, if it's really all about fuel efficiency. OTOH, if it's also about clean-air, then maybe the other current SULEVs (super ultra low emission vehicle) should also be exempt. Linky

Archived