IGNORED

Snapper riding mower and engine failure

too old to care

too old to care

I bought a Snapper riding mower last year. They type that Forrest Gump drove. The mower has a 12 ½ HP Brigs engine. I love the mower, but with the first oil change I noticed an unusual amount of silver in the oil. Seemed almost like brown aluminum paint.

Second oil change the same thing, but to a lesser extent. Third was better, but still had a silver tint to it.

Snapper says that you can run straight 30 weight or 10w 30 synthetic. I ran 10w 30 Mobile 1.

I am now afraid that the engine may not last as long as I hope. The engine does not have an oil filter. I am wondering if anyone else with the same engine has noticed this. If this is normal than I will not worry about it. If is not, than I need to make an issue with Snapper before the warranty expires.

Thanks,

Calvin  (no socks)

I used to work on golf-course commercial equipment. We had a snapper used for a residence that we maintained. It was old when I got there... Never was a problem. Don't loose sleep over the color unless you can feel shards in it... It is normal to include color until it is well broken in..

I have a walk behind 52" with a 16hp on it...I run synthetic and a 52" Gravely ZTR with a 25hp Kawasaki.. synthetic as well....change it once every 2 years (Non-commercial use).

too old to care

Thanks Calvin for the fast answer. There is nothing in the oil other than the color. I guess the engine is not broken in fully. Too early to cut grass now, so I will have to wait for a few more weeks to break it in more.

It's been a long time since I've owned anything with a briggs. But same feedback, new small engines tend to make silver oil for a bit. I'd keep an eye on it, but not worry too much.

My 19 yr old 3.5 hp Briggs mounted on my 19yr old Snapper Self propelled walk behind,still has glitter in the oil at changes.

Doesn't blow any blue smoke,uses very little comsumption between changes and usually starts on the first or second pull.

Last of the "Good One's" till Snapper sold to some other's who cheapened the product.

Last I heard they "Snapper", have had as many as 3 owners since I bought into the Snapper Line back in the late '80's.

too old to care

I have a 23 year old Toro with a Suzuki 2-cycle engine. It also will not die, although we may from all the smoke in the air from it. I bought the Snapper because I have seen many of them 20 years old, or more. I hope the new owners (who ever they are), has put some quality back in. I like the mower, it is Ford Model A simple, not much to go wrong.

I am glad that the silver in the oil is normal. I want this thing to be in the family for a long time. It replaced a 7 year old riding Toro that was only one year old when the first transmission went bad, followed by the second one a couple years later.

I had a Snapper rear engine rider, bought new in 1993 with a B&S 10 hp. Ran nothing but 30W, changed the oil once every two years. The only way this motor was ever run was with the throttle wide open. Traded it in 2006. They are strong motors.

I'm not sure what the oil looks like in my 88 craftsman/B&S engine. I've never changed it!! I do occasionally top it off though. Same original spark plug, also. I'm not sure I could get it out, now! dopeslap.gif

Unfortunately, it looks like I'll have to look for a new one this year, as parts are starting to rust/break/fall off it! cool.gif

Bought a new 8 horse Snapper in 89. Briggs motor died about 95. Replaced the 8 horse with a 10 horse Briggs. It died in 06. Bolted on another industrial Briggs in 07. All called for straight 30wt. Always had the silver flakes.

This new motor I am using ofishul Briggs motor oil. We'll see.

I really can't complain about the longevity. Especially when I consider the cost of a new riding mower.

I can't recommend the rebuild your existing tired motor option unless you do the work yourself. I won't go into detail, but I tried it. A freaking nightmare.

Archived