IGNORED

Seattle to San Anonio with a stop at Miller Motorsports

K2R1150RS

I'm riding from Seattle to San Antonio April 25th to May 6th - my daughter is graduating from UTSA. I was going to leave a few days later, but I found this and I decided it looked like a good opportunity to hone my skills. So I'm going to have a couple of extra days to explore the section from Salt Lake City to San Antonio. My intent is to stay off the slab, but on pavement. I've been to all the national parks in Utah, Colorado and Arizona, but never to Monument Valley or Canyon de Chelly. I am definitely going to stop at Carlsbad and the CAF in Midland, Texas, but I am looking for other suggestions.

My wife will be riding back with me. It will be her first time back on for any distance since we crashed last May in Nevada. She has never been to Colorado, so I would love to take her through part of it. My two concerns are weather at the beginning of May and time available; we'll have either six or seven days to get back, and she doesn't like 500+ mile days. I would appreciate insights regarding the ride back.

Keith

Twisties and I took the START last fall. I thought it was fun, although I was pretty tired by the end of the day. You will likely have slightly cooler weather than we had in early September.

Send one of us a PM if you want to get together or need a place to stay. I am pretty sure we will be in town that week.

Twisties and I took the START last fall. I thought it was fun, although I was pretty tired by the end of the day. You will likely have slightly cooler weather than we had in early September.

Send one of us a PM if you want to get together or need a place to stay. I am pretty sure we will be in town that week.

Excellent! Will do.

Keith

You owe it to yourself to make a stop at Big Bend National park. This is consistent with your plan to stay away from the interstates (IH10 is a pain anyway, with crosswinds that will keep you edgy from El Paso to San Antonio).

I have been in Texas for 22 years. It took me 20 to get to Big Bend. I definitely waited too long. It is motorcycle heaven. No night riding, too many deer and other wildlife. I was slapping my face all the way to Big Bend when I saw all the bloody spots on the pavement. However, I had no choice but night riding due to schedule.

Then, after Big Bend, 90 all the way to San Antonio through Del Rio. If you have time after your daughter’s graduation there is always the beautiful Hill Country, another motorcycle heaven.

I have a strong connection with UTSA to put it lightly. What is your daughter’s degree on, congratulations?

Send me email and I will join for dinner or lunch.

Big Bend does sound like a good possibility and the Hill Country is something I would like to go through on the way back home...

Kate's degree will be in psychology. She has plans to be a substance abuse counselor.

I'll have to see how our time shapes up as the itinerary firms up, but I would enjoy getting together with some of the SA brethren.

Keith

Archived