IGNORED

Ski Report - Part 1

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

Things invariably take more time than anticipated these days, with so many different things to tend to..... so here is our belated Ski Report..... with tons of pictures.

As I already mentioned in my eye-witness report made on my notebook two weeks ago, we had some trouble with the skibox.... to begin with.

There were more problems. When we arrived in Meribel, Saturday night, traffic was hell, with apparently all of France flocking to the ski regions. So the last hour driving actually took us 3 hours !

Then Sunday morning we had to get our skis adapted to our shoes first (I took some hardly used skis from a friend, Menno, Vivian's boyfriend, was going to use my old skis, etc.). Sunday weather was okay, but the day went by being lazy and doing chores.

Then Monday weather turned bad.... think fog (see pictures).

Now I HATE skiing in fog or with bad visibility, just no fun in my book. And gone are the days we got o a bus at 8 am, in the rain, to go skiing until the last lift would close at 5:30 !!!

No Sirree..... I ski when the sun is out !!!! :-)

Then, what, Tuesday ? he clouds broke in the morning and we headed for the slopes. Only to find that Vivian had problems with her new ski boots !!! Dang !! After a couple of hours she gave up.

Next day she tried for an hour and gave up again, sitting in a chair at a bar the rest of the day. The third (sunny) day it turned out that her shoes were too BIG (instead of too small as she thought). We rented new shoes for her and she skied all day..... only to discover she now has a freight of heights and didn't want to get into the chair lifts anymore....

...... never a dull moment when you have kids, eh?

Anyway, we DID have fun, had some good days on the slopes, my third day skiing I was flying down the slopes on my new Elan skis and we had a good times in the evenings.

Weather deteriorated fast after Thursday, and forecasts were bad the next FIVE DAYS !. So all of a sudden on Friday mid-morning we decided to head for Geneva (where Viv and Menno wanted to meet a friend), then sleep in a hotel somewhere and head home on Saturday, instead of Monday.

Here's the photo show of the 'event'......

The Jeep with the offending ski-box on top... weather not too great on Sunday....

271481421_z5Xza-L.jpg

Snow line is at 1300 meters..... not looking good for skiing. It has been marvelous sunny weather three weeks in a row.... just our luck !!

271481445_Nkjs9-XL.jpg

So on Monday we drive up to the little 'altiport' to walk in the forest, bordering the beginners ski slope....

271481471_fcmhC-XL.jpg

271481493_mcQib-XL.jpg

The chair lift disappears into the clouds... brrrrr...

271481513_2x5Wn-XL.jpg

Daughter Vivian and her mom...... no shoe problems here yet.

271481528_AbjDj-XL.jpg

Menno was having a good time, in spite of not skiing ...... yet..

271481543_csf5f-L.jpg

The Navman Family.....

271481568_6VNHY-L.jpg

Walking makes hungry ! Father and daughter in our cozy little apartment....

271481555_YjUAp-L.jpg

Tuesday, finally, the SUN.... so 'dad' goes skiing... (and since I am the one with the car keys..... *grin* ).

271481584_wrwzm-L.jpg

In the drag lift, one of my favorite pictures of our 'Dent de Burgin' local mountain peak.

271481610_JSsdd-L.jpg

Looking north towards Moutiers and Albertville, weather still not stable....

271481627_J7qSF-L.jpg

At 9000+ feet the world somehow looks different. This is as high as we can get in this area.....

271481636_2QDkd-L.jpg

Menno trying to break his leg, I think....

271481646_2F3Vb-L.jpg

Looking down into our valley.........

271481665_Kduo7-L.jpg

Skiing TOO makes hungry.... so we had some 'crepes' with chestnut cream inside ..... YUMMY !!!

271481676_MDnE9-L.jpg

Since the French make 'crepes' and not pancakes like we're used to..... i.e. they are some 3 millimeters thin, we just HAD to get a few 'tostis' as well (grilled bread with cheese and ham)

271481692_ihgzB-L.jpg

Back on the top of the 'Saulire' once more. Looking on to the valley of Courchevel, eastwards.

271481710_TCQ8T-L.jpg

The antenna in the clouds is the summit of the Saulire, the mountain peak we look at from our balcony....

271481726_GdtJz-L.jpg

This was with the rented shoes on already..... good smile eh?

271481742_SE88Y-L.jpg

I'll put the rest of the pictures in a second post, so it won't take so long to load...... be right back !

Archived