IGNORED

radiator options

wolcott

On my '98 toyota avalon xls with 3.0 liter V6, I noticed some red coolant on garage floor today. Got it up on the ramps and it looked like it was leaking from the bottom on the right hand side. Took out 2 bolts for the fan shroud, and tilted the shroud outwards and with my headlamp and a maglite could not see anyplace where it was obviously leaking from. Backed it off ramps and got car halfway out of garage (so wouldn't fill garage with fumes) and got it hot again. Back up on ramps. Found small area on bottom right hand side where it appears to be leaking. Marked with yellow lumber crayon. The bottom tank is plastic and is crimped (like the top tank) to an aluminum radiator core.

1)Should I pull fans and radiator and have radiator repaired at radiator shop?

2)Or should I purchase a new one? Just made a phone call to Advance Auto Parts and I can get a new one for $170.

I am thinking that the labor at the radiator shop-even for a carry-in- might approach that of the new one.

russell_bynum

If it's anything like the radiator in Lisa's 5-series (which, from your description, it sounds similar), replace it. If the leak is in the plastic, they can't really do anything about it.

finallyabeemer

I do not bother to repair aluminum/plastic radiators after they are about 5 years old as the plastic degrades and weakens as it ages.

Calvin  (no socks)

Time to replace the radiator. I replace them everyday. The tank and "o"ring seal at the end expand and contract with every heat cycle. The o ring looses flexibility and causes the leaks... To repair it is folly. Heat causes the plastic to become brittle and break easily.. very possibly letting you down at a very inopportune time. DAMHIK dopeslap.gif

Thanks for the info, guys. I bought this Toyota right before I made my trip up North to my old neighborhood in Massachusetts. I'm glad it did not blow up on me when I was hot-rodding up and down I-95. They are always telling us how the newer cars are better- the damn radiators aren't. I had the last big Pontiac Bonneville (1979 with the big,chrome bumpers and a 301 V-8). Had the original radiator in it when I sold it-big,brass monster. The retired guy I bought it off of maintained it well, as did I. Wierd- the radiator in there now has a GM, Harrison radiator symbol embossed in the top plastic tank along with a white sticker that says Feb. of 1998.

The interesting thing to me is that, at least with Hondas and Toyotas, the hoses are still good when the radiator goes.

I really don't think 10 years is anything to complain about for a radiator.

ProductUser

I recently replaced the radiator on my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee at a cost of $$$$.$$ I was surprised to notice that the sides of the radiator are plastic. I guess they're trying to save weight to increase fuel economy lmao.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

That is actually a little tiny bit of it. Lower production costs are the real reason.

Back when I still had cages, when the radiator would die on them, I just bought a radiator with more or less matching hose configurations from a racing shop. They tend to be much more rugged and a good deal cheaper than an OEM replacement. I'm handy at making mounting adapters and finding hoses that will work if the stockers don't quite do the job.

I recently replaced the radiator on my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee at a cost of $$$$.$$ I was surprised to notice that the sides of the radiator are plastic. I guess they're trying to save weight to increase fuel economy lmao.gif

ProductUser, most radiators as well as heater cores are now plastic side tanks with some sort of alloy core are (usually aluminum).. The aluminum core is a weight savings but the tanks actually weigh more.. There is usually a large “O” ring between the tanks & the core..

A couple of reasons for the plastic tanks.. First is the ability to mould in the mounting pins & brackets (saves many parts & saves assembly labor) .. Second is the ability to mould many convoluted designs to fit around other pieces in the radiator area.. Easy to mould in sensor bungs & plastic drain valves.. Also can mould in mounting tabs for other things that attach to the radiator (like electric cooling fans).. In a lot of production radiators there is also baffling actually molded into the inner tanks to turbulate the coolant flow or force the fluids to flow through the cross flow core..

Twisty

Archived