IGNORED

Calling All Handymen!

pbbeck

I have a stripped screw that I don't know how to fix. I know the usual way to fix a stripped screw hole is to fill the hole with a material that matches the hardness of the surrounded material, but this screw holds a towel bar onto an aluminum shower door and is threaded into a piece of molded acrylic or plastic or some such material.

I would love some ideas on what I can use to fill in the hole.

duct tape!

grin.gif

Can you drill through the frame and attach a nut on the other side? If so you could epoxy a stud into the acrylic and use a couple washer to spread the load and match the finish of the alluminum.

Is there aluminum for the shower door as well? Or just the plastic?

I had some screws strip out on my shower door hinge (just over time the weight pulled the screws out. I replaced them with pop rivets and it's holding quite well.

A picture would be really helpful.

If you want to stay threaded, there are tons of threaded inserts. Either from a place like mcmaster, or some woodwoorking ones with some epoxy?

Jerry Johnston
My wife has a suggestion. Make the husband remodel the entire bathroom.
grin.gifgrin.gif

Don't know the thickness of your shower door but you might be able to use a threaded pop rivet. They also make rubber pop rivets - they're 3/8" wide (hole size x 27/64" deep and use a 8/32" threaded bolt. I've used the rubber rivets to hold on roof racks on a car where I didn't want the roof to leak. They squeeze up nice and solid.

Archived