IGNORED

Good movie: Sweet Land

Joe Frickin' Friday

Careful Mitch, you're Minnesota bias is showing! wave.gif

Barb and I saw it when it was first out in theaters, and really liked it as well. In fact thanks for bringing it up, I had forgotten about it, and will now need to go buy the thing for our collection.

[hijack] We tend to view a LOT of movies during non-riding season....like 4-5 months this year. We just got done shoveling our 10" Easter celebration snowfall.... UFF_DA [/hijack grin.gif]

My wife and I loved this movie.

It is indeed a very sweet story. I have Norwegian roots and have relatives who farm in North Dakota. My Great Grandfather probably came to the US in about that time frame.

Joe Frickin' Friday
My wife and I loved this movie.

It is indeed a very sweet story. I have Norwegian roots and have relatives who farm in North Dakota. My Great Grandfather probably came to the US in about that time frame.

The movie (in particular, the importance of the photograph) reminded me of a website I found about a year ago. I've posted links here before to some extremely humorous material there, but after exploring some more I found another part of the site where the author posts pictures of North Dakota farm life from his grandma's camera along with captions - sometimes humorous, sometimes sincere - telling what he knows of the photograph's circumstances.

Grandma's Camera

It's a series of web pages; on each page you can scroll down to find the "back/next" links.

Thanks for the link Mitch. I'm looking forward to seeing a good movie I can appreciate. And as for the 10" of snow Jeff, I drove through that storm (in a cage) to spend this week in Atlanta. 35 degrees in the morning but 70's in the afternoon......hmmmmm, I can take that kind of winter riding! Wish I had my bike. dopeslap.gif

Very cool look at the past.

Let's hope the fellow suing JOhn Deere doesn't get hold of this photo showing their persistent, reckless conduct in building these dangerous products.

thresher.jpg

I have huge trunk full of photographs from Fargo and the surrounding area from the same time periods - late 1800s to the 1960s or so. Many of them aren't even printed on paper, but are on tin or some other metal. We don't know the story of the vast majority, but I've been meaning to go through them and get them all scanned for quite some time now so that we can point the older folks in the family at them and hopefully get some context from them.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the recommendation--we watched it last night, with another couple. Really good story. The cinematography was stunning.

Jerry_75_Guy
Just watched Sweet Land. Berry berry good movie, I highly recommend it. thumbsup.gif

My wife and I saw this one when it came to the local art cinema. Another positive vote from us; we really enjoyed it.

Archived