IGNORED

Spring has sprung.... photography....

Couchrocket

Let's see the EXIF data on that first one. The flowers promise me that you obviously weren't panning, so I'd be curiious about that shutter speed. Just beautiful.

Couchrocket

First shot was with the ZD 50-200 SWD lens, plus the EC20 2x entender... so I was at about an equivalent 632 mm in FF 35mm, where I was zoomed. ISO 400, 1/500th sec. f/6.8 About 12' from the plant. This sort of thing is where, IMO, the 4/3 system really shines. Superb glass, even w/ Olympus' "extender" (which ain't cheap). Can get "really out there" in focal length and still be portable, and have reasonable aperture. I continue to be amazed at Olympus ZD glass... very sharp corner to corner, good contrast and color.

I've played with shutter speed on humming birds in the past and find that 1/400th +/- a little bit gives enough blur to not make the birds look "stuffed and mounted" yet enough "stop action" to give some detail in the wing structure. Another edit: I had the camera on "burst" mode at 5 fps.

Olympus finally has a handle on higher ISO up to about 1600. In fact, in tests, I can't tell 100 from 400. 800 is easily useable w/o noise post processing, and even 1600 is very usable with Noise Ninja, or Neat Image.

I went back and looked at EXIF and corrected my "memory" on settings!

Couchrocket

In this case, tripod, but only because I was pre-focused on the flower. Remote shutter release cord, so I could sit back w/ the eyepiece shutter closed and just watch and wait. Post processing included the crop, and some sharpening (my in camera defaults are set soft on purpose). I almost always hit the "clarity" slider a bit in Lightroom to induce some local contrast enhancement too, but again that is because my in camera settings are intentionally broad. Other than that, the color, etc., is straight out of the camera, no levels, no color balance or added saturation, or anything. Another reason I use the 4/3 system and "live" with its few limitations is the image quality "right out of the camera"....

That first one is a very nice shot Scott!

Did you use a tripod? Do much in the way of post processing?

Couchrocket

Thanks, Tom!

I understand you and Killer have been out stalking the wild spring posey as well... show us!!!!!

Uber Worthy

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

Killer is here at the house and he just ask a very valuable question. Do you still have the RT? If not STOP POSTING PICTURES THAT WE CAN NEVER LIVE UP TO!!!! I mean this is a moto board! If I wanted to see this I would go to the Art Museum! I now have about 100 shots from yesterday that I don't want to even download. Keep it up and I will send the Englishman to your house grin.gif

You print the top shot yet?

Couchrocket

blush.gif Thanks...

Still have the RT "for the moment." So, technically, I'm still legal to post! grin.gifgrin.gif

I've made prints. I'm experimenting with the new baryta papers, and think I'm in love. The color depth and black density are amazing. When you guys coming over to spend some time making prints? My mom-in-law will be adiós in another couple of weeks, so the guest room will be open for a "print tech day or two."

Killer is here at the house and he just ask a very valuable question. Do you still have the RT? If not STOP POSTING PICTURES THAT WE CAN NEVER LIVE UP TO!!!! I mean this is a moto board! If I wanted to see this I would go to the Art Museum! I now have about 100 shots from yesterday that I don't want to even download. Keep it up and I will send the Englishman to your house grin.gif

You print the top shot yet?

Archived