IGNORED

Some thoughts about Riding and The Gunnison Experience.

John_Hendriksen

John_Hendriksen

I’ve been reading the reports on the Gunnison Rally, and spending an inordinate amount of time reflecting on what it meant – and means - to me. Fernando’s beautifully crafted and accurate report, Kris’ heartfelt thank-you, Pat Allaire’s wonderful observations on long distance riding and many other e-mails and phone conversations have kept it alive for quite awhile now.

This, however, is not a “ride report” in the basic sense of the phrase and I hope I’m not being too presumptuous in sharing a few of these scattered, and no doubt, rambling thoughts. Forgive me.

Like many, many others this bike was my re-entry to the sport ( all blame/credit goes to Snod ) and I was completely taken by surprise by how deeply this activity has affected me. Garri Garripoli expresses’ it beautifully in the "Tao of The Ride", “…I know that when I ride, I face my ability to be “present” in the moment. Maybe it’s second nature by now, but I like to feel it for a second, sitting on the bike as it’s warming up, feeling how exposed I am, how sensitive the controls are, how close I am to the pavement. It wakes me up and brings to a place of sheer connection with everything about who I am, my mood, my fragility and my incredible sensory system that even allows me to ride this 600-pound beast. This is the Ride. That split second sensation that brings you into the present moment, a moment that goes by in a flash…yet is eternal. That’s what a bike does for me”.

But, does anyone else feel this? Who cares if they do? If I was going to find out, what better place to look, to inquire, than Gunnison. One thousand twelve hundred miles of peace between my home and Gunnison and when I get there I am going to find out what others feel! I’ve met them on the BBS, I’ve heard them speak of their trips and their problems and their triumphs. Got to be somebody who feels these things and we’ll share. Well…I never asked. Not once. But I found out.

I went over to the KOA Sunday and checked in, everybody seemed a little nervous, a little anxious, but it was probably just me. Dinner at Garlic Mikes that night with Snod and Jackie. The Chianti and the sound of the Gunnison River in the background calmed me a bit. Monday morning and Snod, Airtire and I decide to ride to Creede. Group riding, gulp…..hey, it’s only three of us – no sweat! About halfway to Creede we meet up with Hannabone, Mike Cortes, Pat Allaire and others and were greeted like long lost friends. Everyone takes off and I ride sweep, which seems to be a nice way of saying…last. I fell behind, I caught up, I watched, learned and my fears melted away. At lunch, I listened to others talk of the ride, the Rally and I started to find out.

A shorter ride with Airtire Tuesday……Crawford, Paonia and 30 miles of dirt road over Kebler Pass. Lunch with Steve in Crested Butte, a town as cute as a bug and a short dash back to Gunnison. - An interesting side note – I rode, sans helmet and gloves ( horrors! ) over to Western State College to snap a few photos for my son, the soon to be college freshman. I have never ridden without a helmet…I heard noises I’d never heard before, not bad necessarily, just new and louder.

Barbecue dinner Tuesday night with the Mennonite family, and as Fernando and others have explained so beautifully, it was an evening to feel proud and to feel thankful. A few of us finished quickly and wandered outside to chat in the marvelous evening air. As I listened to conversations among the more experienced riders, I heard words I had been thinking about……..smoothness, flow, letting go, awareness, seeing, focus, fear and…fun.

I found out.

One thousand twelve hundred miles of peace between Gunnison and my home and it was a stunning ride. 100 degrees in Delta, UT….Thunder, lightning, rain and hail one hundred miles to the west . As I rode home I could hear the big voices of the landscape, and I looked for the deep resonance’s that call to the heart and shape the spirit and now I know where to find them.

Thanks

In reply to:

As I rode home I could hear the big voices of the landscape, and I looked for the deep resonance’s that call to the heart and shape the spirit and now I know where to find them.

John, I get a few kudos (and some chiding) for my long, detailed writing. But when I hear SO much summarized in so few words, it fills me. I read it over and over and over again, and I couldn't stop.

Thank you.

In reply to:

As I rode home I could hear the big noises of the OldRider, and I looked for the deep resonance’s that warn of the fart and shape the wind, and now I know where to find him.

Sorry guys, still having fun, can't turn it off...maybe by Torrey

Love to all laugh.gif

John: All I can say is wow! What a great way to relate the Gunnison event. Thanks. Man, wow! I know you've attended the FB school of writing, haven't you? tongue.gif I just had to Fernando. smile.gif

Yeeha! Stephen

"Big voices of the landscape."

Profound words for what I felt. Wish they were mine.

FLIronButtRider

John, thank you for expressing what I'm sure many of us feel but lack the eloquence to express to others. It was wonderful meeting you over lunch in Creed and I look forward to seeing you at the next Un-Rally...but this time, we all owe you lunch!

John:

You are a prince. Strangers meet along well traveled paths and you step up after brief introductions and pick up lunch. We were honored to be with you. Come out east and I will recipricate and take you on many beautiful albeit more sane rides.

That split second sensation that brings you into the present moment, a moment that goes by in a flash…yet is eternal. That’s what a bike does for me”.

Yes. there it is. Thanks for the words.

John,

I did not know you had all that in you! Whew. I guess that college did something for you. I guess you don't need a radio after all (inside joke, John radioless, Steve...radio all the way up).

You want to elope?

In reply to:

In reply to:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I rode home I could hear the big noises of the OldRider, and I looked for the deep resonance’s that warn of the fart and shape the wind, and now I know where to find him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry guys, still having fun, can't turn it off...maybe by Torrey

Love to all

BigMak.... I AM ROLLING ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING!!!! -- Thanks for making my day...

kris

Archived