IGNORED

give me an update on Bill Janklow; is he serving time?

jwg122843

I am curious to know what happened on the deal where the SD congressman killed the motorcyclist when he ran a stop sign. Can someone give us an update? Is he in a gubmit-run country club or free as a bird?

steve.foote

Interesting. I wasn't aware that he was also a motorcycle rider. The Wiki article is the first place I have read that.

100 days in jail and lost his job..

... but deemed fit by the S.D. Supreme Court to be reinstated to the practice law despite his felony conviction. frown.gif Apparently, dude still has some pull. tongue.gif

30 days in jail, then out doing community service, and back to work now.

Although, supposedly a lot of pro bono work.

... but deemed fit by the S.D. Supreme Court to be reinstated to the practice law despite his felony conviction. frown.gif Apparently, dude still has some pull. tongue.gif

It helps to have appointed many of them....plus it was determined he was on "official" duty when he killed the rider so he was no able to be sued personally for his actions, only the state....

HairyCannonball

He was Governor of the State of South Dakota for a total of 16 years, and by most peoples opinion did a good job. It was hard to get any kind of real public outcry locally against someone whose leadership served the state well in most peoples mind.

That said, in my opinion, he should have paid more for his mistake. His arrogant disregard for the law caused a grievous loss for the Scott family.

Thats why I wish bikers and groups like ABATE would use their political power in pushing for more strict sentences for folks like him that take out fellow bikers through their negligence. Instead, it seems like ABATE and a significant number of bikers want to push forward an agenda of no helmets(at least here in Florida). I live in SW Florida and we have a high rate of vehicles plowing into motorcycles- it makes me sick to pick up the paper and read about the carnage that goes on in the motorcycling community. Usually the dead biker rates a little paragraph in the local section. So sad.

That said, in my opinion, he should have paid more for his mistake. His arrogant disregard for the law caused a grievous loss for the Scott family.

Had that been you or me WE would have paid a larger price.

It helps to have appointed many of them....plus it was determined he was on "official" duty when he killed the rider so he was no able to be sued personally for his actions, only the state....

Not the state, the federal government is on the hook. He said he was en route to visit constituents, and federal law proclaims that in such instances the government is liable for the negligent acts of its officers, without any ability to collect indemnification from the negligent party himself.

So, bottom line:

-he was in a county lockup for 3 weeks

-he can practice law again

-he will not pay one cent in tort compensation for the two lives he destroyed.

Archived