IGNORED

Steve and The Lovely Flame Try NYC

AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser

Well, I'm finally getting to visit NYC. I've been back East, which was pretty nice, on a four corners moto trip a few years ago, but I did not ride into NYC.

On Thursday, The Flame and I, plus a few other chaperones, will take our 8th grade Orchestra to play at Carnegie Hall. (Chaparral Middle School has what is considered to be one of the best middle school orchestras in the United States) thumbsup.gif

During our three day stay, we'll do some sight seeing, eat a couple of big meals, see Phantom of the Opera, and generally do the tourist thing.

Of course while the orchestra is practicing, J and I will have some time to sight see on our own. I wanna see the Statue of Liberty and stand on the steps of the court building. Maybe I'll see the cast of "Law and Order." Oh, and I wanna eat some food from one of those kiosks they show around the streets. thumbsup.gif

Of course, if any of you all happen to live in NYC or surrounding areas shoot me a PM for a phone number. Would love to put some names to faces....

Cheers,

Steve

Don't let the cabs eat ya blush.gif

Have a ball Steve.

Remember...... it didn't happen if there are no images lurker.gif

AdventurePoser

I think we'll be safe from the cabs as we'll be walking pretty much everywhere we go. However, I may PM Whip for advice if we go near those things!

Steve in So Cal

I find the bus or boat tours very useful in cities...they give your feet a break! Many of them have the hop on/off option too.

In NYC, things to do/see:

Statue of Liberty (with the Ellis Island museum, if that interests you at all) Take the boat from Battery Park.

Ground Zero (It's still a construction site, last I knew)

Carnegie Hall (oh wait, that's already on your list!)

FAO Schwartz at 5th and Central Park (huge toy store)

There are a number of other boutiques on 5th, heading south from there. American Girl, Disney, Warner Bros, etc...

Many, many restaurants. Small, tables/chairs all crowded together. It's the experience!

It will be colder than you expect. The city creates concrete canyons, which become wind tunnels!

Wear good walking shoes, you'll do a lot of it.

Take the subway rather than taxis. It's really not that scary, and MUCH faster.

I won't be anywhere near the city, otherwise I'd love to hook up w/ you.

Have fun!

All the neat stuff is above your head. The building architecture is fantastic.

You'll definitely look like a tourist, but take time to look up at the buildings (keep a good grip on your stuff while you do).

The best way to have a good time as a tourist ... is to act like a native.

That means avoiding the tourist traps. What I would do if I were visiting New York:

Walk around Chinatown. Look for Mott Street, it's a good walk all through Chinatown. Check out Doyers Street off of Pell, the supposed meeting place of the Chinese gangs when they have to "work something out."

Nearby to that, you've got the walk over the Brooklyn Bridge (nice!) and Soho, specifically Spring and Prince Streets and West Broadway. On the other side of the bridge, there is Brooklyn Heights. It's a bit of a walk, but interesting if you've got the time.

Ground Zero: nothing to see here, now move along. It's highly amusing when I've used the train station there to watch the hordes by the hundreds taking pictures ... of nothing. I want to sell them boxes of dehydrated water ("Just Add Water!").

The West Village has perhaps the most charming collection of streets in Manhattan: it's west of Sixth Avenue, south of 14th St and north of Houston. You can walk here for hours and never tire of the small, beautiful stuff (buildings, churches, parks, squares).

Central Park: not far from Carnegie Hall. Lots of things to do here.

Wow, I'm impressed ... an 8th Grade Orchestra playing Carnegie Hall? Go kids go! (can't help but think of that old joke - tourist in nyc: "How do I get to Carnegie Hall?" reply : "Practice practice practice..")

Welcome to New York. As mentioned, wear good walking shoes, and keep your eyes open IN ALL DIRECTIONS when crossing the streets. Those yellow cars come out of NOWHERE. Subways (with a metrocard) are the cheapest/fastest way to get around. (You'll definitely look like a tourist if you board a bus with no Metrocard!) Since you're *touring* and might actually want to *see* all the madness, use your metrocard for a ride on a crosstown bus (14th street, 23rd, are good, 42nd Street bus will plunge you right into the middle of it all!). You'll have the best seat in the house to view the street scene!

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

Archived