IGNORED

Unkown musical talents that you know - Anyone care to share their favorites?

SnowDog

I have been really bored with the commercial, over produced stuff that is generally out there on the air waves right now.

My kick lately is more of the non mainstream second tier artists that are really talented. Many of us don't realize these people unless someone stumbles across them or someone they know introduces you to them. I would like to find more.

So I have been into this

lately since I really like acoustical guitar.

So, does anyone have a personal favorite that they would like to share?

Paul,

that guy rips!!!!

I got turned on to Broadjam by a friend who lists his jazz combo out there

. This video is horrible, but the sound is decent.

I also check in and out with a local player who moved to Nashville to try and break the alt country scene there. Here's his site Billy Cerveny.

One guy, long dead is Stan Rogers, Canadian chap.

Another is Gordon Bok. Artists of 20-30 years ago that had some balls and didn't sing like some effet wimperer of lost love. Give an ear.... wink.gif

A friend of mine, Jazz B3 organist, Barbara Dennerlein. Well known in Europe, but not well known here (yet).

This is her with backup band on Germany's version of the David Letterman show last summer....

Watch that killer left foot of hers playing bass.

And, no, that is not Gerry Springer on trumpet. lmao.gif

One guy, long dead is Stan Rogers, Canadian chap.

Another is Gordon Bok.

Here, here!

I just got turned on to Catrin Finch. She's Welsh and plays the classical harp....but holy smokes! The jazziest version of "Puttin' On The Ritz" I've ever heard. She does things that you didn't think could be done on a harp. Phenomenal!! She's also Royal Harpist to the Prince of Wales.

Eva Cassidy. Her album "Songbird" is so pure it breaks your heart.

Check out some Rev. Gary Davis for the guitar work. Of course Doc Watson, Chet Atkins, and Merle Travis for country-style and country blues

Mississippi John Hurt for ragtime-blues.

Keb' Mo's album "Keb' Mo'" Taj Mahal always rocks.

There's a group from BC (That there's in Canada, aye?) called The Bills. Ostensibly bluegrass but they are all classically trained so their stuff is pretty eclectic, intelligent, and skillful with a solid respect for the tradition. The two albums I've heard are "The Bills" and "All Day Every Day", where they call themselves the Billhilly Band.

Then there's Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jewboys....

(Yes, Kinky Friedman, author of "They Ain't Makin' Jews Like Jesus Anymore" and "I'm Proud to Be an -sshole From El Paso".)

A friend, away at college. What are they teaching those kids these days!!! smile.gif

You gotta like anything with a ukelele solo... no? thumbsup.gif

I saw Kaki King open for Keb Mo a couple of years ago and she blew me away. I saw the movie August Rush and knew immediately that she did the guitar work.

Archived