IGNORED

BMW 520D gets better mileage than a Prius

UberXY

Yet the Prius is allowed into carpool lanes in the US, downtown London, etc. without restrictions while vehicles capable similar or better mileage are not. Terrible public policy for a host of reasons.

I wonder how many dinners Toyota had to buy to get that deal? smirk.gif

LOTS of things get better mileage than a Pious. Er, Prius,

A friend's daughter drives a 10 year old Saturn, and even IT gets better fuel economy...

(As compared to a Prius owned by a friend of hers, as measured on a road-trip they went on in the two cars with a small group - same speeds, same roads, same loads. A Honda Civic also beat the Toyota, but 'in fairness' it only had 2 girls in it...)

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Yet the Prius is allowed into carpool lanes in the US, downtown London, etc. without restrictions while vehicles capable similar or better mileage are not. Terrible public policy for a host of reasons.

Not only that, but the Prius gets it's best gas milage in stop and go, or at lest "ebb and flow" traffic where it can charge it's batteries from the braking system. So, in reality, it gets better milage in the traffic that our legislators allow them to skip by using the HOV lane than they do whilst skipping the traffic. Poor public policy on a grand scale. Now, add that Toyota spends an equal amount of money (or more) selling the Tundra, one of the least fuel efficient vehicles on the road, and their environmental record isn't so great.

Special parking at some offices too... One place I hoped would include "Alternative fuel" so I could park my truck w/ B11 in the tank. :P

Didn't cali stop with the HOV lane stuff? I thought there was some resale value to have a Prius w/ the HOV stickers on it...

Didn't cali stop with the HOV lane stuff? I thought there was some resale value to have a Prius w/ the HOV stickers on it...

There were a fixed number of permits. All permits have been distributed.

There were a fixed number of permits
Which makes sense, but only further calls into question the logic behind the program... if the benefit of hybrid vehicle use is so high that it justifies the program why limit it to to first come-first served? The answer (the number of single-use vehicles in the HOV lanes could rise to too high a number, reducing the overall net benefit vs. having no such program in place) is obvious but it also only serves to point out how poor an idea the whole thing is.
skinny_tom (aka boney)
There were a fixed number of permits
Which makes sense, but only further calls into question the logic behind the program... if the benefit of hybrid vehicle use is so high that it justifies the program why limit it to to first come-first served? The answer (the number of single-use vehicles in the HOV lanes could rise to too high a number, reducing the overall net benefit vs. having no such program in place) is obvious but it also only serves to point out how poor an idea the whole thing is.

Yes, and in fact some studies are being done right now as to the impact on several heavily trafficed HOV lanes, and the Prius' may yet get the boot- sticker or not.

Archived