IGNORED

Another good use for motorcycle gear.......Toto we ain't in Jersey no mo'

Laura

Well, we had our first initiation to a bad southern storm system. Marty and I sat in the basement with our motorcycle gear on listening to hail pelting the house and my car. The trees were bending in every different direction and the sky was black. It was time to go, so, we geared up and took cover in the basement. ATTGATT in the basement, that's a new one.

In all my years in NJ I never saw or heard anything like this. We are on top of a ridge and even the thunder sounds different. Everything is fine and we are lucky. Not everyone was as fortunate. Atlanta got hit hard last night and they are getting hit again today. There have been some fatalities in some of the counties. I pray for those not as fortunate.

Now, the sun is shining, the birds are singing, the pear trees are blooming and it smells great outside. You'd never know that we may be in for another round this evening. The weather radio is on and the gear is ready. We're really glad we have it. I wouldn't want a cow to fall on me without it. eek.gif

We're not going back to the northeast...even this beats northeast winters.

I moved in the opposite direction (further north) but also found another good use for motorcycle gear. My Darien Light jacket and pants (without pads) are perfect for skiing.

Calvin  (no socks)

Drought last year.... a little rain this year...it all comes out in the wash.....Now the Hurricanes prolly won't reach that far....but keep the gear handy... lurker.gif

See what happens when you mix politics (Gov prays for rain) and religion. eek.gif

Glad y'all are OK.

See you at BRR??

Betcha if you call the local TV station, they'd send a film crew over.

"Over-reactive snow-birds survive storm in their motorcycle gear. Film at 11." grin.gif

Glad you're safe. On a serious note, smart thinking. Cows be heavy.

Cows be heavy.... lmao.giflmao.gif

And I felt bad last weekend in the campground setting up in my frogg toggs.... Glad you guys are safe, I was riding the edge of that front all the way south on Friday, it sucked!

Glad you guys made out Ok.

I had a rattle snake get caught up in the chicken wire I installed around the perimeter of the back yard (in an attempt to keep out rabbits & gophers).

It looked like it came into the yard Ok, but after eating a rodent, could not get back out.

I suited up in my Stitch, boots & gauntlet gloves to cut it out & send it on it's way.

ericfoerster

I just PM'd Marty Hill yesterday to check his welfare. Seems every spring I've got to check on Marty on after I watch a nasty storm tear through his area on radar.

It does get nasty here in the south.

You know, actually that's a pretty good thought. The next time we have to head for the basement, which in this part of the country is at least once every spring, I think I'll grab our helmets on the way down!

Well, we had our first initiation to a bad southern storm system. Marty and I sat in the basement with our motorcycle gear on listening to hail pelting the house and my car. The trees were bending in every different direction and the sky was black. It was time to go, so, we geared up and took cover in the basement. ATTGATT in the basement, that's a new one.

In all my years in NJ I never saw or heard anything like this. We are on top of a ridge and even the thunder sounds different. Everything is fine and we are lucky. Not everyone was as fortunate. Atlanta got hit hard last night and they are getting hit again today. There have been some fatalities in some of the counties. I pray for those not as fortunate.

Now, the sun is shining, the birds are singing, the pear trees are blooming and it smells great outside. You'd never know that we may be in for another round this evening. The weather radio is on and the gear is ready. We're really glad we have it. I wouldn't want a cow to fall on me without it. eek.gif

We're not going back to the northeast...even this beats northeast winters.

Welcome to tornado season! We get those every year here in Oklahoma. I've been lucky to have been in only 2 here & one in Kansas once. We just lost the shingles but my neighbor 2 blocks over lost the whole house.

So Eric, did you get any pictures of that snake before you cut him loose? lurker.gif

Laura: Glad to hear y'all are OK. One thing I don't miss about Texas is the tornadoes.

......eeek....keep yer gear handy. That's a scary sucker.

Since the tornado season peaks in March and April....we've moved all of our gear to the new "gear closet" next to the bunker (new name for basement) door along with water, flashlights, whistles, batteries, weather radio.

I guess if you've lived here for a while you get used to this but for us rookies it's pretty frightening.

Lone_RT_rider
Drought last year.... a little rain this year...it all comes out in the wash.....Now the Hurricanes prolly won't reach that far...

Funny you should mention that Calvin. The lakes around here are down (just as Lanier is in the ATL area) at least 20 feet. Most of the locals are hoping for the remnants of a few good Hurricanes to make it up this far. They swear that's the only thing that going to take care of the water issues in the lakes. crazy.gif

Shawn

Joe Frickin' Friday
As a matter of fact....

Backyardrattlersmall.jpg

smile.gif

Yikes!

<hijack>

OK, so just how did you free this guy? Seems like he'd bite right through gloves if you get your hands anywhere near there to snip the chickenwire. if it happened to me, I suppose I'd grab a sheet of Lexan and lay it over the top of him, with one edge flush with the chickenwire; that way I could snip the wire loops around his body, and be able to see if he's trying to get his head around the edge of the Lexan to bite at my fingers.

lurker.gif

Aluminum_Butt

Seems like he'd bite right through gloves if you get your hands anywhere near there to snip the chickenwire.

Amen to that. I'd put on my Stich and gloves, then use my shotgun to "free" him from the fence. blush.gif

OK, so just how did you free this guy?

Basically I herded it so it stuck its head back out to the other side (of where it is in the shot) & was then able to hold the body/neck to prevent it from getting to me whilst I cut the wires.

Between the two houses (similar terrain), I typically find one every other year.

Just last week I relocated a small one perhaps 2-3 years old based on the rattles (one rattle/year) that I may have seen (almost stepped on!!!!) & relocated 2 years ago.

After being trapped for overnight, it seemed grateful to be free.

On my very first one I did kill it but soon noticed rodents.

I figured it was Gods way of telling me to "live & let live".

The house backs up to open space & its better to coexist with nature.

Although I'll aggressively go after destructive varmints that the predators seem to miss.

Archived