IGNORED

Autocomm Installation

sirfallsalot

sirfallsalot

OK, so bought the Autocomm, and am about to install. Instructions suggest installing under seat near taillight. Have a friend to had his installed by local BMW dealer, and they put it under faring in front. Anyone have tips/guidance on good places to install this thing?

Ken -

I see lots of people talk about putting their Autocom in the tail section.... but how do people then attach an MP3 player, FRS radio, etc?

Trying to figure out the best way to set up this bike....

Thanks!

Jim

I put mine in the glove box. Drilled a hole in the aft side of the box(with a grommet) for the wires to exit. Used duolock to secure the Autocom in the glove box. A little trouble to adjust the settings, but once I got mine set, I haven't touched it in 2 yrs.

OK, so bought the Autocomm, and am about to install. Instructions suggest installing under seat near taillight. Have a friend to had his installed by local BMW dealer, and they put it under faring in front. Anyone have tips/guidance on good places to install this thing?

Much depends on which accessories you want to connect to the Autocom and where you're going to mount them.

If the Autocom is going to be mostly an intercom, with a cell phone connected to it either in the rider's pocket or from a tankbag, then the tail cone of the bike is a good place. If you're going to connect accessories that mount to the handlebars, then you will need extensions for your Autocom accessory cables.

If you are tall enough to use the 1100/1150RT's seat in at least the middle position, then you can install the Autocom atop the air filter lid (it won't fit with the RT's seat in the low position). This is one of three excellent locations as your rider leads will reach so they can come out from under the appropriate rider/passenger seat, plus you can connect handlebar-mounted devices without resorting to extension leads.

Another good place is the glove box, although you will need an extra headset extension lead for the passenger.

My personal favorite place is inside my tankbag. I've electrified mine and installed everything there.

malcolmblalock

Mine is velcroed to the rear fender under the seat. It's not in the way of anything and accessible for getting leads where they need to be. Adjustments are also easy there.

Mine is velcroed to the rear fender under the seat. It's not in the way of anything and accessible for getting leads where they need to be. Adjustments are also easy there.

+1 on same placement location for mine, put B2B radio in rail section

This is where I put mine

I've got mine in the same place. It's dry, convenient to get at and I use standard leads for GPS and iPod.

Archived