IGNORED

I need a picture of an R1200ST pannier (mounting question)

brianbmw

I would like a picture of an R1200ST Rear case where it mounts to the bike. I'm specificlly looking for a pic of the latch tab that locks the bag to the bike. I bought a set of K1200GT bags and the tab is an L shape and it doesn't fit. I know i can modify it and make it work, but the MAXBMW microfiche shows this same pc (#23) on the R1200ST bag. As far as i can tell a bag with this pc won't work on a 1200ST without modifications. What does your ST latch look like?

STCase.png

It doesn't look like No. 23. It's straight and moves upward into a slot under the tupperware. Unfortunately I don't have a photo of it to share. I have the booklet that came with the cases which shows the latching system. I'll scan it and/or snap a pic of the latch (if someone doesn't beat me to it). I can't do it tonight, but will try to remember tommorrow. wave.gif

Thanks Ben, part #23 is just a snap on pc that can be replaced if broken. If i just remove that part it works fine there just a little loose. I am Just wondering what the stock ST bag latch looks like.

Brian

On the 1200RT BMW changed the pannier mounting system some time after my bike was manufactured (2005). The original mounting tab was straight and was replaced with the bent one which comes in different thicknesses to allow for wear. The problem with the original system was that some panniers were loose and no adjustment was available. My panniers (less lids and locks) were changed to the new ones under warranty after I complained about loose panniers. I assume the same modification was done on the ST's as the panniers are the same.

Ian

The issue is the bent tab does not fit into the reciever on a 1200ST. It's not a big deal i can make it work, i just wanted a picture so i could see what the stock R1200ST bags have.

Here are pictures of the back of the bag and the mounting point per your schematic.

My bag does not have the bent tab. There is nothing for it to contact on my R12ST, anyway.

1009852-bag_side.jpg.b90f7571aa8b72c07bcd773058be797d.jpg

I believe that when BMW changed the bags they also changed the receiver as well. If you have the first generation bag mounts and second generation bags then they won't fit right. You could perhaps buy the new part and install it. If you did that it would likely result in the bags not being loose.

The issue is the bent tab does not fit into the reciever on a 1200ST. It's not a big deal i can make it work, i just wanted a picture so i could see what the stock R1200ST bags have.

You need to order the adaptor kit. I have the part number at home and will send it to you Sunday when I return to Austin.

You'll need to remove the L-Tab--it pops off and in place of it install the non L-Tab onto your later model side cases.

I send you numbers and picture tomorrow.

Thanks Limecreek, that adapter kit part number and picture would be very helpful. I have a 2005 R1200ST, the bags i have came from a 2007, that is the problem.

Thanks guys.

Thanks Limecreek, that adapter kit part number and picture would be very helpful. I have a 2005 R1200ST, the bags i have came from a 2007, that is the problem.

Thanks guys.

Brian

As I said it appears the bags for the ST were modified the same as the RT, therefore if you want tighter bags (updated ones) it would be better to get the receivers for the bent tags.

Ian thumbsup.gif

Ian i suppose that is another option. Probably a little more expensive, but it might be the way to go. I think i will try the adapter kit option first and see how it goes.

Brian

Interesting. I never realized there was a difference in the '05 versus later mounting system for the cases. I have the stock '05 system and always thought it was a little loose. grin.gif Thanks for bringing this to light.

I realize this provides little value at this point, but wanted to share it anyway in case it helps someone lurking was curious. tongue.gif

266309933_cxkgf-O.jpg

I looked at the clips that came with my new inner bags. The kit comes with 3 clips, a standard, a +1.5mm, and a +2.5mm. The standard clip was modified to fit my '05 reciever by cutting off the extension.

BMW's instruction for removing the clip.

Remove the case. To remove the clip, press firmly on the extension, if necessary use a small flat-bladed screwdriver

to pry it open and remove the clip.

Here is a picture of the modified standard clip.

94266168.jpg

You can clearly see where the extension was cut off at the top.

I'm going to assume you will go forward and cut off the extention. If you screw it up you can order another set of clips. Part Number 46 54 7 712 002. $6.00

For reference my '05RT has the same reciever as pictured in Ben's image.

I haven't see anywhere that carries 3 different sizes. I would like to try the larger ones to tighten the bags up a little bit.

I haven't see anywhere that carries 3 different sizes. I would like to try the larger ones to tighten the bags up a little bit.

Brian

The whole idea of the upgrade (bent tabs) is to make the panniers tighter and allow for replacing the tabs with thicker ones to take up wear which will keep the bags tight. If you just cut of the tabs I think you will miss out on being able to take up wear later. As I said BMW replaced my panniers with the upgrade (less lids and locks) under warranty when I complained about loose panniers.

Ian

It seems like the upgrade would have to include the reciever part also correct?

Brian I think that is the case, but if you went this way you would be able to adjust later for wear and have the updated cases.

Ian

Archived