IGNORED

PDA's... Any one have experience with a Palm?

TracerBullet

TracerBullet

I am thinking about moving into the PDA market.

I don't need a new phone and I have a laptop already. I am looking for something to carry contacts and more importantly, my calendar.

And cost is a factor

Do you guys / gals have any insight on these newfangled things?

Paul_Burkett

I have had two Palm T/X units and I realy liked them. Unfortunately they both died two weeks after the warranty ran out. Other than that, they worked very well.

I had a Palm IIIx that I used for about 5 years and then got a Palm Tungsten C that I'm using now. No problems, work great for me.

Sal--

I've used Palms for a long time. My current one is pretty darned old, I guess. It's a Zire 71.

The lineup changes constantly, but the MSRP for the cheapest current model is $99. If you're just interested in keeping up with your calendar and contacts, that model will more than suffice.

With the possible exception of the iPhone, which has very advanced features, nothing beats a Palm for its ease of use and the intuitive nature of its user interface. One caution, though--make sure you install the Palm Desktop software on your PC and synchronize your calendar and contacts frequently. It doesn't happen very often, but I've had an occasion or two when my Palm has burped and lost data. It's extremely easy to restore through simply synching it with your PC. However, if you don't synch often you're taking a chance of losing everything.

I've had three or four of them over the years. Currently a T|X. I like Palm OS but the units aren't that reliable. And with today's phones doing just about everything, I don't think I'll say with caring two separate items in the future.

Very happy with my Treo 700p.

It's not Windows Mobile, and that's just how I want it.

I synch (bluetooth now!) with corporate Outlook Calendar and Contacts. (Not email!)

I have used the IM client on it as a trial, and found it quite useful, but not worth $ every month to me.

Firefight911

This from a LONG time Palm user.

Do you have an Ipod? You can carry your Outlook calendar and contacts with that.

I have had the Zire, the Plam based Treo 600 and now have the window based Plam Treo 750. Absolutely love them.

Had the Treo for just over 2 years with zero problems. Had to replace it when I lost it on a call at work. Not a problem with teh windows based Treo either.

I use a Garmin iQue 3600 (PalmOS with built-in GPS, about $180 via eBay), and sync the contacts and calendar info to/from it via Microsoft Outlook. I also one-way sync two cell phones. Works great and supplies in-car GPS map navigation for all of North America.

steve.foote

I've used various Palm models over the last 12 years or so, and am currently using a Treo 700w. I prefer the windows mobile OS to Palm and sync my Treo over the internet to my offices' Exchange server. Works very well.

Archived