IGNORED

Best RT Tires, Best places to Buy?

flienlow

Sorry if this is 205, but I did search (with little results)

What are the best tires for the RT, is it a combo or the Pilot Road 2's?

Where is the best places to buy? Ebay?

Thanks for your help as usual guys!!

TotallyOpposed

after reading some tire tests, I am looking forward to trying the new Dunlop Roadsmart tires.

Dual compound with outstanding wet performance.

I usually buy from my local Cycle Gear when they have semi annual sales events.

Sorry if this is 205, but I did search (with little results)

What are the best tires for the RT, is it a combo or the Pilot Road 2's?

Where is the best places to buy? Ebay?

Thanks for your help as usual guys!!

What's 205?

Re: tires...my .02 cents worth..

My Bridgestone Battlax 020's were fine on my '04GT. I replaced the 020's with Avon Azaros. They were also fine for my purposes.

For my new/used RT, which came equipped with 020's (8,500 miles on 'em), I just bought a pair of Bridgeston Battlax 021's. 021's are the replacement/evolution tire for the 020's.

I'm confident that they'll also be fine.

$223.00 shipped from SWMoto in AZ.

DMilan

My RT came with Dunlops. I replaced those with Metzeler Z6s, but have since run several sets of Pilot Roads. I think I'll stick with those (no pun intended). Can't help you on where to buy, given where I live.

ShovelStrokeEd

Stick around a couple of weeks, I am picking up a pair of Dunlop Roadsmarts for the Blackbird this evening, mounting tomorrow morning and off on a couple thousand mile one way trip to Shreveport, Los Alamos and then Golden, CO. Should be able to give pretty good feedback on performance on both freeway and mountain road performance.

I do have a bit more HP but loaded weight is comparable and average speeds more or less the same. I'm faster than some, slower than others.

I'm picking up my bike from Bob's BMW tomorrow with new PR2's installed. The Dunlop 220 rear was gone a few hundred miles ago (it's in for its 6000 mile service) so I was pretty disappointed with the mileage as well as the noise. The front still had about 2000 left on it, but I decided to replace both. NOT cheap! About $600 mounted for both. The same as replacing the rear tires on my M3 Convertible, but I get about 12,000 miles out of them. I'll post a ride report in a couple of weeks after I put some miles on them. While I'd like more miles out of them, I really just want some quiet. The howling from the 220's was deafening.

I'm picking up my bike from Bob's BMW tomorrow with new PR2's installed.

I'm curious to know what you paid if you don't mind sharing. My local dealer wants $417 for the pair. I figure their must be a hundred dollar bill taped inside one of them.

One place I found in florida says 289 shipped, but they aren't stock, due any day per their rep. Every other place I called in the Portland Metro area does not have the 180/55, but almost everyone has the front. SW moto ships the pair for $316, rear is out of stock, no eta.

AdventurePoser
after reading some tire tests, I am looking forward to trying the new Dunlop Roadsmart tires.

I believe I have one of the first sets of Roadsmart tires in the area on my R1200RT right now. After a thousand miles, I am so far very happy.

They are quiet tires, do not follow rain grooves, and are incredibly sticky. In fact, after an hour of VERY spirited two up riding on Glendora Mountain road the sidewals were almost gooey, like a hot race tire....so, I do wonder about the mileage for those aggressive riders who spend all their time in the mountains!

Overall mileage? Only time will tell what the long time road test will show in terms of mileage, but so far, I like 'em!

BTW, love the Avon Storms too, but these RoadSmarts have a tenacious grip!

Cheers,

Steve

ShovelStrokeEd

Won't be able to comment on grip till I get out of Florida and into New Mexico, but, if weight is any indication, there is a lot of rubber on the Roadsmart rear. I'll bet that thing is 5 lbs heavier than the Pilot Road it is replacing.

From Cycle Gear, $160 rear in 180/55-17, $130 front in 120/70-17, 10% discount so $261 for the pair. That savings is offset by the dealer, who doesn't stock them, wanting a $20 surcharge to mount tires not purchased from him. Sigh, at least he is willing to mount them.

To be fair, he did have BT-021's in stock and I was happy with the BT-014's I had on there before. I've paid more for tires when on the road so it won't be the worst I've seen. Just want to keep trying for something that will not square off in the rear so badly. The Pilot road was down to the wear bars in the center at 8K miles, plenty of beef on the sides. The Power 2CT on the front was not too bad but, had started to cup pretty badly due to all the freeway riding and one bad session where I ran it at too low (32 PSI at the end of the day) a pressure.

Just a note to flienlow...I think it is apparent that asking which tire is best is equivalent to asking which oil is best... there isn't such a thing.

Each rider, who pays attention to this sort of thing) has his or her own opinion.

I like my Azeros...

I'm picking up my bike from Bob's BMW tomorrow with new PR2's installed. The Dunlop 220 rear was gone a few hundred miles ago (it's in for its 6000 mile service) so I was pretty disappointed with the mileage as well as the noise. The front still had about 2000 left on it, but I decided to replace both. NOT cheap! About $600 mounted for both. The same as replacing the rear tires on my M3 Convertible, but I get about 12,000 miles out of them. I'll post a ride report in a couple of weeks after I put some miles on them. While I'd like more miles out of them, I really just want some quiet. The howling from the 220's was deafening.

As I'm planning to get a PR2 rear soon from Bob's, your price quote is disappointing, to say the least.

BTW, I get cage tires (with a BMWCCA discount) from Radial Tire Co. in Montgomery Hills. Have you tried them for your M3?

Tom

TotallyOpposed

I believe I have one of the first sets of Roadsmart tires in the area on my R1200RT right now. After a thousand miles, I am so far very happy.

They are quiet tires, do not follow rain grooves, and are incredibly sticky. In fact, after an hour of VERY spirited two up riding on Glendora Mountain road the sidewals were almost gooey, like a hot race tire....so, I do wonder about the mileage for those aggressive riders who spend all their time in the mountains!

Overall mileage? Only time will tell what the long time road test will show in terms of mileage, but so far, I like 'em!

BTW, love the Avon Storms too, but these RoadSmarts have a tenacious grip!

Cheers,

Steve

Gooey sidewalls and tenacious grip, two of my favorite things in life!

yes, I do alot of canyon riding so this sounds like the perfect tire for me.

It's my understanding that the dual compound tread provides great wet weather performance and excelent mileage, so please keep every posted.

thanks

I have used them all and without a doubt the Pirelli Diable Strada last longest, gives superior handling and are cheaper than the Michelins, Continentals, etc. I have purchased from Arizona Moto, but usually buy locally at RoadRider in San Jose CA.

My PRs were wearing thin after about 9000 miles. I had no problems with them and they road nicely in the rain and snow. I now have Dunlop Roadsmart tires and am quite happy with them. I bought them on February 29th and have about 700 miles on them---many of the miles are from two days at Willow Springs at Jason Pridmore's STAR school. The tires performed nicely. I have had no problems with them so far. I bought them at the BMW dealership that I frequent; the price was competitive.

ShovelStrokeEd

Another perspective on the Roadsmarts.

I had a set fitted at my local dealer, bought them from Cycle Gear. I think I mentioned all this in an earlier post to this thread.

Just did around 400 miles of slab on them this afternoon.

Nice tires. Very stable in rain grooves, don't heat up much at near max load, at least with 42 lbs in the rear.

I did notice something a little strange about them but remember, I'm on a Honda Blackbird, not a BMW so geometry is different. The tires are very stable when heeled over and very stable when running a straight line, however, they are just a tiny bit tippy in the transition. Nothing alarming and might have more to do with profile compared to the Pilot Power/Pilot Road combination I was running. There is just this little "feeling" as you transition to about 15 degrees of lean where the steering just gets a bit lighter. A more aggressive turn and the feeling isn't there. Now that I think more about it, it is more that they are just a bit heavy steering just off center and then lighten up and get stable.

I don't anticipate any high speed curve strafing till I get to New Mexico and, by then, I will be more used to them. I'll let you know at the end of next week if the feeling persists.

Here's the damage: $247.95 for the rear tire, $317 total installed. Front was $192.95, $277 installed. I had a coupon that would have saved $65 if I had remembered to bring it!

The first 200 miles today (with the first 50 very careful) left me impressed with them. I'm sure part of it is just the "new" feel, but the turn in was crisp, and grip seemed good/better then the 220's.

My 2005 R12RT came with Michelin Pilot Roads (not Pilot Road²) installed when bought new. They wore about evenly, front and rear -- and that's the first time ever on any bike that has happened to me. I got 12,844 miles out of the set and replaced them with a set of the Metzeler RoadTec Z6's. I was happy enough getting 13K from the Pilot Roads but I've had good experiences with Metzeler before so I'm trying the Z6's.

After 6K on the Z6's I'm pretty happy with them.

On my 1983 R80RT I really liked Metzeler's ME-88 Marathons, front and rear. I can't find my notes now but am certain I got 18K miles on the rear, and 30K+ on the front. They were sticky enough for me so I was very happy with that.

I wish the newer Marathons would fit on the R12RT but I don't think they do.

So I, too, am looking for a good high-mileage tire that sticks well enough. My preference is for a Michelin tire (German on German, that's why) but I won't insist on that. I'll go with whichever tire gives me the best performance and value.

I wish the newer Marathons would fit on the R12RT but I don't think they do.

The ME880 rear isn't available in a 180/55 size but it is available in 170/60 which is very close in size and will fit on thr R1200. That's what I'm currently running on my R1200RT. Other posters to this forum have also used the ME880 170/60 on ther 1200s.

My preference is for a Michelin tire (German on German, that's why) but I won't insist on that.

Well, last time I checked Michelin was not German! Unless they they have invaded France again!

eek.gif

I am currently running Avon Storms and find them very good.

I had been using the ME 880's which last a long time but don't give as much confidence as the Storms.

I think I will try the Road Smarts next time.

Andy.

Paul Mihalka

"I wish the newer Marathons would fit on the R12RT but I don't think they do."

The current replacement for the Metzeler ME88 Marathons is the ME880. It does not come in the stock R1200RT rear size, 180/55x17, but it comes in 170/60x17 which is a good fit. For high mileage IMHO there is none better.

I use Metzeler ME 880's front and back, bought from Dennis Kirk online. Tire prices here are terribly expensive.

Larry

Archived