IGNORED

need riding suggestions for Colorado in Mid May

phillip914

I will be riding up from Texas through Colorado on my way to Yellowstone in Mid May and am looking for ride suggestions.

I have a couple of day to play with so looking for scenic routes that are fun on the bike too. Plus any other destinations like Pikes Peak etc that we should consider would be appreciated.

Thanks

Phillip

You'll find some ideas in this recent discussion.<linky>

Spring is a beautiful time in the mountains, but beware that there can still be wintry weather in the high country in May (and June, too), and that the roads could be sandy or in rough shape. Checking the forecast and road conditions frequently should be helpful.

The road up Mt Evans(South from I-70 on CO103, CO5) is, I think, the highest paved road in the US, it is often not open until Memorial Day. The Mt Evans road is a dead end, you come back down the same way you went up. Peak to Peak Highway (CO119, CO72, CO7) from I-70 north to Estes Park is a great "high speed" mountain road, it is open all year. Trail Ridge Road from Estes Park to Granby (US34) is not to be missed if open, it also is often not open until Memorial Day. Poudre Canyon (US14) from Ted's Place to Walden is nearly always open. Either way (14 or 34) will let you hook into US40, run that to US119 and then north to Flaming Gorge. Have a great ride!

Archived