IGNORED

bicycle trainer item

randy

ok, time to meet reality. I have gained XXXX pounds in the last 6 years. To much time spent at the office, raising kids and just not doing the right thing.

I have a treadmill, and I have started walking. However I have a very nice old street bike. I want to buy one of those contraptions that your rear wheel mounts in and you basically make your bike a stationary bike.

Any suggestions on good models. Remember I am just a fat old person looking for some low impact (need to save my knees) good workout. I have a nice basement and plan on setting it up down there. I watch NBA games about 3 times a week, so while I am watching the game I plan on riding or walking during the game.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

thanks, I was looking at the 150.00 range. I am no professional bike rider, so just a basic unit will do. the one you posted to looks like it is on sale for 170.00. I could do that, thanks.

whatever trainer you get also mount a big ass fan in front of bike w/ towel underneath you. used trainers religiously back in the "day" for short, intense workouts. my real advice is to ride outside...way more freakin fun!

yea, but if you ride outside you cannot kill two birds with one stone. I only get to watch about 4 hours of TV a week. 3 NBA games, and 1 race. I have 60 pounds to get rid of, and 4 times a week on my treadmill is to hard on the knees. So I plan on riding the bike for 30 minutes - 40 minutes and then hoping on over to the treadmill for 20 minutes, 3 - 4 times a week. Along with a diet change, I am hoping for 5 pounds per month.

I have a Cycleops Magneto Trainer:

117.jpg123.jpg

I stayed away from the fluid ones simply because I've read reviews that say if you use them a lot they will start to leak and make a mess. Since I use this in my living room, the idea of leaking silicone fluid on the carpet isn't too comforting. The fluid ones are definitely quieter, but I ride with earplug headphones (both bicycle and motorcycle) so I just pop those in and watch a DVD or listen to music for my 45 minute workouts and I don't hear the trainer whatsoever. The one I have isn't abhorrently loud anyway.

It works quite nicely in that I can maintain a ride in 3-5 comfortably and get a great workout while switching gears to 3-6 and 3-7 for hard sprint intervals. When I've used it in 3-8, it is very difficult to maintain which is perfect in that I'll never become so buff or strong that I'll outgrow the limited resistance of the machine. You can buy others that have their own gear systems, etc., but my bike has enough gears to where those top ones are very hard to pedal and provide plenty of resistance for me.

You also want to make sure and get one of those "climbing blocks" pictured above not so much to simulate "climbing" but to level the bike out since it sits a couple of inches off the ground and without it you'll be "falling" forward into your handlebars too much, which puts unnecessary pressure on your arms. You certainly aren't looking to simulate going downhill.

Yes, it's boring and I prefer to bicycle outdoors on trails, but during the winter it's the only way to retain my stamina and bicycle skills while keeping the weight off. Then when spring comes and I go back to outdoor riding, I haven't lost anything nor is my buttocks surprised by the bicycle seat again.

It also works great when I need a ride after work but the weather isn't cooperating and it's raining.

This Cycleops Magneto trainer is currently $199 at Amazon.com. Add $20 for the Climber accessory.

I use the Cycleops fluid trainer. Smooth, never leaked, good, steady resistance.

I've ridden hundreds of hours on this trainer. It's a good workout. Try sprinting through the commercials.

Firefight911

I use the Minoura 850. Great tool. I like the fact that it is rim drive as I have mountain bike tires on the mountain bike and it is much smoother as a result.

thanks for all the postings. Yes I should have stated, for right now the roller units are out, and just from a cost perspective so are the fluid units. Sound is not a problem, my TV has headphone out and I just plan on riding with my molded earplugs connected to the TV.

I borrowed a unit from a friend at work and plan on using it for the next week. That should help me make the right choice.

Archived