IGNORED

malware HELP!!!!!!

GelStra

Something got into my system. Redirecting Google search results. 404sorry.com is grabbing & won't let go. Even after I blocked that site in my Restricted sites list.

I looked it up and it seems to have site affinities for Autobytel & Carsdirect. Great. I'm in the car biz........

It even sent me to some lame http://www.russellisa.com. AGH! THE HORROR!

grin.gif

Ya know I'm cheap so don't bother sending me to Computer Fix-it store to crowbar open my wallet. Any anti-virus downloads you recommend? I've done:

Adaware

Avast

Trend Micro's House call

Spybot search

and this thing is still there!!

Any one care to help without the smart@$$ comments on what sites you think I might have visited or what software I illegally loaded, etc.?

bakerzdosen

OK, a coupla suggestions (from a decidedly anti-windows person no less)...

Reboot the computer.

Try a different browser (if you're using Internet Explorer, try Firefox or vice versa). If the problem persists, it's probably OS related. If not, it's browser related.

Make sure windows is as updated as possible (http://www.update.microsoft.com/ from IE)

As far as free anti-virus, try AVG.

Anyway, that's some stuff to start with. Good luck.

Hmm. OK. I'll try those after I get done running the AVG, which I just downloaded.

T'anks!

Reboot into safe mode and run the antivirus programs from there.

Andy

If you're using Internet Explorer, what is the IE search defalt set to currently (look at the dropdown next to the IE (not Google) search box, usually in the upper right-hand corner of the browser window)

Aluminum_Butt

Looks like it must be relatively new. McAfee, Symantec, and Adaware don't list it as a threat yet. There's not much information about it when I Google.

You may have to resort to some manual means. You might want to try a restore point. If that doesn't work, see THIS LINK for some ideas on general removal techniques. Near the bottom are links to OS-specific pages.

Are you comfortable editing the registry?

Jerry Johnston

After you've run your antivirus checker, you just might find what-ever you have is called something else and just redirecting you to 404sorry.com (which seems to be a legit site) If you can you should try running the virus checker in safemood with system restore turned off. Once you've corrected the problem turn system restore back on.

There are so many things for you to try I think it would be hard to put it all in one reply but checking the registry for 404sorry.com is one of the things I would do. If you delete anything from the registry back it up first (using export). You should also check under program files, startup and see if somethings been added. Using Ctrl-Alt-Del check the processes that are running........and on and on etc.

Good luck. Sometimes its quicker to reinstall XP but you want to be sure you really have a virus first.

Archived