IGNORED

xm radio

gasser

Thinking of buying an xm radio for my bike. I have the Garmin 550 that for $250 I can buy the xm antenna or I was thinking of the Roady XT for $59 from Amazon. I can use the Roady with my fm radio. Any thoughts?

My experience with the XT was not good. I couldn't keep it from vibrating out of the craddle and resorted to using rubber bands to keep it in place, but with limited success.

I ended up finding an older Roady 2, without a craddle to solve the problem.

Stay away from the XT for moto use.

Firefight911

Get the GXM-30 for the Zumo and call it done. The integration os very good.

I've had both and love the Zumo any day over the Roady XT.

As Lime states, you need to handle the cradle issue. I used 2 zip ties just tight enough to hold it all in place. I'd slide the zips off when I needed to remove the radio.

Zip loc bag for waterproofing the Roady.

I'm about to pull the trigger on some type of xm unit myself. I have the Zumo, but don't want the GXM-30. I used the Zumo a bit for MP3s and don't like having to switch away for the nav screen to adjust the channel etc. I want the separate XM unit to have two displays, each for a single purpose. Same thing with my ipod for music. Plus $200ish for the GXM-30 is steep.

The only counter argument I came up with is the GXM-30 is waterproof and wouldn't take as much dash space.

My sat mount for the co-pilot shelf arrives tomorrow, I'll go sat shopping then.

Good luck.

I dumped XM completely 3 months ago--all three subscriptions. After four years I got tired of the spotty coverage and lack luster audio.

Since then I've been using my MP3 player, but I have to admit, I do miss some of the programming and variety XM offers and am close to signing up for a new subscription.

[/hijack]

daveinatlanta

I bought a Roady2 several months ago (About $29), got the XM subscription for $77 the first year (based on advice I got here) and integrated it directly into my bike's autocom. If possible, a direct connection is much better than connecting thru your FM radio. I mounted it on my clutch reservoir with a $20 mounting suggested by a an XM subscriber here. The antenna is located on top of the mounting bracket. Works great.

Coverage occasionally drops out when I'm in the mountains where the satellite signal is temporarily blocked. The XM Satellites are over the equator at 85W Long (passes just west of Atlanta) and 115W Long(passes near Las Vegas). St. Louis is in the middle of these and St Louis' Latitude is about 38N - (compared to where I am at about 33 North) - not so far north as to have the sats low on the horizon. Bottom line, seems like St. Louis would be an ideal location for sat coverage.

Thinking of buying an xm radio for my bike. I have the Garmin 550 that for $250 I can buy the xm antenna or I was thinking of the Roady XT for $59 from Amazon. I can use the Roady with my fm radio. Any thoughts?

Hi,

Look around,the XM30 antenna is available for under $200.

JR356

I pretty much have the same setup as Dave with the Roady2 mounted on top of the clutch reservoir. The Roady2 is cheap and still is available. It is always on the bike and I don't have to worry about it too much. I don't always have my Zumo 550 mounted.

One disadvantage to the Roady2 is the lack of volume control. Having the antenna for the Zumo would be nice, but for $200, I'm having a problem deciding if I really need it.

I'm currently using the Roady XT after my Roady 2 got a loose power connection. The only problem I've had with it coming lose from the cradle was when I went over a very rough dirt section of a road under construction. Mine is mounted between the bars so that probably reduces the vibration. One good thing about XTs or Roady 2s is that they are very cheap. I picked up a spare radio on ebay for about $10. I use the small regular antenna velcroed to the brake resevoir. A small in-line volume control from Radio Shack rounds out the package.

daveinatlanta
One disadvantage to the Roady2 is the lack of volume control.

True. But I have an Amplirider, an inline amp, that I use before either the iPod or XM feed get to the AutoCom. The AutoCom's amp was just not enough when I wear earplugs. The Amplirider has a vol control and it works well.

"One disadvantage to the Roady2 is the lack of volume control"..HUH? There is volume control on both the Roady and the Roady2 through the menus. I have mine going thru my autocom, and have the volume set on 4 for listening through the helmet speakers with custom earplugs. I turn it down to 1 when using my in-ear speakers.

I rode with the Roady 2 for quite a while. I did not use the cradle, I velcroed it to my homemade dash mount. You can turn volume up and down by menu. However, I don't think those riders using in helmet speakers will be satisfied with the available volume. When using earbuds I did not use the volume all the way up. They are cheap and readily available on Ebay.

That said I would no give up my Zumo/ GXM 30 combo. After getting the Zumo and realizing it had to have the GXM 30 to access XM I was rather unhappy with Garmin. Especially after talking to the tech line and being told all I had to do was hook up a satellite antenna like I had on the Roady! Not to mention the outrageous price they ask for the GXM 30. However, there are used (unused?) GXM 30's available. These are delivered with some of Garmins other GPS units and buyers not interested in XM regularly sell the GXM 30's. So much easier to use than the Roady 2 and easier to package as well.

CruisinCruzan

I have a Zumo 550 and a Roady XT works great and it was free after the rebate (last year). I use it because I don't like to listen to music when riding but my wife does, so the only way to have her listen to music without me hearing it is to have the Roady connected to one of the fader controlled inputs on my Autocom. That way I can still hear my GPS without hearing music. The Nano is connected to the other fader controlled input (wife likes music, gotta keep her happy)

Dave McReynolds

I'm very happy with the XM antenna for the Zumo 550 on the bike. However, what if you want to use it in your car? The speakers in the car adapter mount are pretty chintzy, and I don't think the car adapter mount has an earphone outlet. Does anyone know of a way to integrate it with your car sound system?

I'm very happy with the XM antenna for the Zumo 550 on the bike. However, what if you want to use it in your car? The speakers in the car adapter mount are pretty chintzy, and I don't think the car adapter mount has an earphone outlet. Does anyone know of a way to integrate it with your car sound system?

If you have a cassette player in the car, then a cassette adapter works perfectly. I know cassette players are old generation, buy my 02 Benz has one behind the radio. The GPS xm comes over the Bose car speakers.

Dave McReynolds

If you have a cassette player in the car, then a cassette adapter works perfectly. I know cassette players are old generation, buy my 02 Benz has one behind the radio. The GPS xm comes over the Bose car speakers.

I just got home and looked at the car adapter for the 550. It does have an audio out jack, so I guess that solves the problem from Garmin's standpoint. I don't have a cassette player in my car, so I can't use that option. So far it's theoretical, since I haven't taken a long trip in the car since I bought the 550, but if I do, it would be nice to get XM, other than on the speakers on the adapter. I guess I'll have to find out if they make something that plugs into the CD slot, like your cassette adapter.

I mounted my Garmin GPSMAP 378 to a dash installation with the GXM-30 antenna. That combination allows me to receive realtime weather radar that displays on the highway maps. The Zumo series does not support that weather radar option. The BMW Zumo 550 has sateliite disabled since BMW cars are with Sirius.

The weather radar has kept me out of severe weather with hail many times in Colorado where rounding a bend without this device has led to some exciting moments.

Archived