IGNORED

Rumor/talk of new Honda touring bike

eakins

They may in fact release the X-wing but the idea they are dropping the Goldwing (or merging the ST and GL) doesn't make sense. The GL2000 already exists....will be released when Honda wants to release it, but what that has to do with the ST is anyones guess. I would expect them to make major changes to both on the 10 year cycle they seems to use for major model changes (non-sportbikes) but have heard nothing about the ST specifically.

Hard to believe they would drop the Wing.

How many decades has it been around?

While it may be a rhetorical question, a buddy of mine bought the first year wing in spring of 1975. It was red, a "standard" bike w/o any appreciable body work with one thousand cc water cooled flat four motor. One arcane attribute was the kick starter; the lever was stored in a side compartment of what looked like the gas tank (actual tank was below seat); when starter motor failed you'd access lever, attach it to male threaed stub and have at it (placement was similar to beemer boxer kick start levers). I recall my buddy and I tried the kick just for fun and found it extremely resistent to our efforts at turning over engine.

So Eric, that'd be 3.3 decades of wing.

Wooster

They may in fact release the X-wing but the idea they are dropping the Goldwing (or merging the ST and GL) doesn't make sense. The GL2000 already exists....will be released when Honda wants to release it, but what that has to do with the ST is anyones guess. I would expect them to make major changes to both on the 10 year cycle they seems to use for major model changes (non-sportbikes) but have heard nothing about the ST specifically.

Hopefully the new model will have addressed the overheat issue - that they have never formally acknowledged

ShovelStrokeEd

I agree.

There has been considerable speculation about a "super VFR" over on the XX boards mostly with fond hope as year after year we get nothing but "bold new colors".

IMHO, the GW can continue as it is. A blend of VFR and Pan would be OK so long as it had something like a 1200cc+ V5 say? I nice sporty but quick package with factory luggage strikes me as perfect. I would probably even get rid of my Blackbird for one so long as it wasn't too heavy.

Honda will drop the Gold Wing right after they drop the Accord. I think somebody's been smoking wacky weed. smile.gif

Agreed. I think that the Goldwing brand (~1972) has been around even longer than the Accord brand (~1975. Too much brand equity in either to toss +30 years of investment out the window. One of the basic concepts of Marketing 101 is to leverage brand value of a cash cow as long as you can. Much of the promotion investment was made years ago. The only sane reason to toss a brand name is when it's costing you money and not returning earnings.

I just found a link on the Honda Canada site that indicated the Varadero will be sold in Canada as an "exclusive edition"...

There's also a CBF1000A - sporting standard...

Linky: Honda Brochure

Correct. It's old news, though. Canada gets the Varadero and CBF; the U.S. doesn't.

I wonder what it would be like to buy one off the used market from a Canuck... wink.gif

That CF-F is a nice looking scooter. The varadaro looks a lot like a VSTROM to me.

I wonder what it would be like to buy one off the used market from a Canuck...

MCN did an article on buying a bike from Canada. Didn't sound easy, but if that's your dream bike it's do-able.

I dunno...

I've always thought there would be a market for a mid-weight tourer...

does the old GL1200 ring a bell?

Updated w/modern suspension, ABS...and LESS WEIGHT.

And a wee bit easier to handle than the GL18 of late.

Goldwing "classic" smile.gif

Archived