IGNORED

Made a bracket to mount the Stebel horn on R1100RT

ArthurKnowles

ArthurKnowles

Before I head in to surgery on Friday for my kidney transplant I wanted to get my Stebel horm mounted. With a propane torch, vise, and a bit of elbow grease I came up with this ...

DSC01221.jpg

And it looks like this mounted to the horn ...

DSC01222.jpg

When I get out of the hospital early next week, I'll consider wiring it up and getting a picture of it mounted on the motorcycle. It does fit without binding and is quite secure.

Arthur, that looks like a lot of weight to be hanging out on the end of a long strap like that.. Unless you add a second restraint it will probably eventually break off from vibration induced harmonics..

Can you add a 2nd attachment to stabilize it somewhat.. If not possible then maybe make sure that it can’t fall into something important when it eventually breaks off..

Twisty

Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy return to riding.

Probably many offers will be made to ride the bike for you so it is ready when you are.

Wis I was closer.

ArthurKnowles

Twisty,

If you check my other thread, you'll see that Keith used a lighter metal strap and his is still going after 12K miles. This strap is big, but not heavy. It's an alloy and not steel. It also does not flex. It's pretty rigid. Much better than the previous strap I used. I will check it periodically to make sure it is still attached, but I really don't think there is much chance of that. smile.gif

As for my surgery, well I just finished changing the fuel filter in the RT's gas tank and will put freash fuel in in when I can ride again. The LT is getting Stabil in it today. It should only be a month before I can ride again, but could be longer.

One thing I can tell you is it will be a long month...

Twisty,

If you check my other thread, you'll see that Keith used a lighter metal strap and his is still going after 12K miles.

Had to go and open your big mouth didn't yagrin.gif? I read your post here while I was at work. I then left work on my bike for the evening commute home. I came up to a stop sign where I turn left, but the handle bars wouldn't turn as far as they normally do. So I look down the forks, and what do I see? MY STEBEL SITTING ON THE TELELEVER ARM.......the metal bracket was nicely snapped in half. I then proceeded to a gas station about a 1/2 mile up the road, disconnected the wires, and tossed it in the top case. While doing this, I also noticed that my fork seals were absolutely puking oil. Lovely evening for ride though.....grin.giflmao.gif

Looks like I'll be thinking up a different way to mount it.

the photos didn't come thru, I'd sure like to see what was done. I mounted the same horn to my GS's and really wondered about the old horn attachment I used. anyone else have photos of how they mounted the horn?

Archived