IGNORED

Audio Books

Ron_B

I've never been a big reader, usually 3 to 5 books a year. In the 4 years since my stroke, I've only read 5 books, not including a couple that I picked up and didn't finish.

One of the effects of my aphasia, besides having difficulties speaking, is eventual loss of concentration when reading something lengthy. I don't know if it qualifies as ADD, but it now takes me a long time to read any book, as I tend to lose concentration after 4 or 5 pages. When that happens, I suddenly find myself mechanically reading the words, but not absorbing and comprehending. I then have to put the book down and pick it up some time later. Distractions make it worse, even listening to music. Reading articles in the paper or on the internet don't present a problem, unless they're really long, extremely complex or just badly written.

A few months ago, I discovered audio books at my local library. Wow, are these things great! Since I have wireless speakers in my house, I can go about my business, even work on my bike in the garage while listening.

I've just recently finished "The Looming Tower" by Lawrence Wright, and "Peace Kills" by P.J. O'Rourke. Presently, I'm listening to O'Rourke's "On The Wealth Of Nations." I read it last year, but I think I'm getting more out of it by listening to the audio. (I tried to read Adam Smith's original text some years ago, but quickly gave up on it. I'm not that smart)

dopeslap.gif

I've been looking for "Truman" by David McCullough, but haven't had any luck finding it at local libraries. That's the thing. Audio books seem to be expensive, many libraries have a limited selection, and the availability of used ones is rather slim. Too bad that there isn't a "netflix" kind of thing for audio books. Or is there?

Anyone here into audio books? Any favorite sources? Do you listen when driving/riding?

Is there a truck stop or Cracker Barrel near you? They rent them to truckers if I remember from the last time Richard dragged me into one a few months back.

I have gotten hooked on them too. Lucky for me the main Phoenix Public Library has 18,000 of them.

Have you asked to get the local library to get you some from other places. Most Libraries loan each other material.

Tom

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

Many municipal/school libraries can provide you access to NetLibary which has a large library of audiobooks free for the downloading (but you will need a WMA-compatible player if you want to use them on your portable.) It's a really great service, check and see if your local library participates.

Most of what I have purchased were purchased from Audible.com.

As far as borrowing is concerned, I would suggest going back to your local library and inquire about interlibrary loans. I believe that the local library in Gurnee has a pretty big selection of audiobooks.

P.J. O'Rourke...."Eat the Rich"........"The CEO of the Sofa"...........something about a bad haircut

...and........The best of all time......."Atlas Shrugged".........you want it.........I'll send it to ya.

...Audio Books have made long bike trips more fun than you should be aloud to have.........Louise and I have laughed so hard I had to pull over while listen to Janet Evanovich/Stephen Plum...........This weekend I'm lookin forward to "The Bourne Betrayal" (Robert Ludlum wrote after he diedlmao.gif)..........

Whip

BTW.....Don't forget about Dirk Pitt/Clive Cussler........he's the bomb!!!!!!!!!!!

Many municipal/school libraries can provide you access to NetLibary which has a large library of audiobooks free for the downloading (but you will need a WMA-compatible player if you want to use them on your portable.) It's a really great service, check and see if your local library participates.

That is exactly what I'm looking for. A quick check of my local library's web site confirms that they do indeed participate with NetLibary. Looks like a super asset. Thanks!

I've got an old first generation Ipod, and as I understand, WMA files can be converted with the right software. Should make the ride across Nebraska more fun!

Thanks Tom and Ernie also.

And Whip, I'll take you up on that offer. See you in Torrey???

I've got an old first generation Ipod, and as I understand, WMA files can be converted with the right software. Should make the ride across Nebraska more fun!
Unfortunately it's not that simple as NetLibrary files utilize DRM (digital right management) so the player must support protected .WMA files, which the iPod does not. When you download a book from NetLibrary it is like checking something out of a library, i.e. you have a set amount of time (usually 3 weeks) to listen to it. There is no real time restriction to listen to the book because you can simply renew the license every three weeks, indefinitely if you like (the DRM is presumably just there to protect against copies being floating around on the Internet), but still this will prevent you from using an iPod. However... you can just buy an inexpensive MTP player of just about any brand other than Apple and use that for your audiobooks, shouldn't cost very much.
Unfortunately it's not that simple as NetLibrary files utilize DRM (digital right management) so the player must support protected .WMA files, which the iPod does not. When you download a book from NetLibrary it is like checking something out of a library, i.e. you have a set amount of time (usually 3 weeks) to listen to it. There is no real time restriction to listen to the book because you can simply renew the license every three weeks, indefinitely if you like (the DRM is presumably just there to protect against copies being floating around on the Internet), but still this will prevent you from using an iPod. However... you can just buy an inexpensive MTP player of just about any brand other than Apple and use that for your audiobooks, shouldn't cost very much.

Ahh, I should have known that it wouldn't be that simple. Makes sense though. Thanks again!

Archived