IGNORED

Redding, CA to Eureka CA (part of Portland, OR -> Redding and back)

krussell

I'm heading to Redding the end of next month to do a ride in seat purchase at Russell Day Long. Due to time constraints I'm going to just go straight down I-5 (422 mi) for the southbound trip on Thursday. My pillion is flying in that afternoon and after we get the seat built on a Friday we are going to spend the weekend coming back via the CA & OR coast.

My plan is to go from Redding to Eureka on Friday as soon as the seat is done. There are two obvious routes in the 3-4 hour range. The northerly route is 299, the southerly route is 3 then 36. They are both between 3 & 4 hours. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has experience with either.

From Eureka we are just going to get up on Sat and head up 101, stopping somewhere along the way after at least five hours of riding time. Then on Sunday we will finish up by continuing on 101 to Waldport OR then over to Corvallis and in to Portland from there. The total return time from Eureka back to my house according to Google maps is around 9.5 hours.

If the coast is nasty (this will be 4/25-4/27) my first alternate is to head up 97 toward Bend then toward Portland from there via 58, 20, or 22.

If everything is nasty I can always revert to returning via I-5. If it's really bad the pillion can fly back.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

finallyabeemer

Experience? Hand held high. I've ridden both many, many times.

Both will be memorable. Which would you prefer? Here's my observations:

299W is the "main" and more developed highway west. The one 99% of the trucks and RV's take. It's mostly higher speed sweepers but some 25 mph corners and GORGEOUS scenery. Traffic can be annoying after about 3:00 pm on Friday, but there are quite a few passing lanes. Not as bad as the coastal route. There are also gas stops at least every 40 miles.

3 and 36W. Hoo boy. Best kept riders' secrets in the USA. Tight. Twisty. Unbelievable. 120+ miles of constant twists and turns and ups and downs..... Almost no traffic. Parts of it are single lane - and anything but sweeping! The route is still following old indian walking trails in some areas. Twisty, turney, see your own taillight kind of stuff. Some hate it and call it scary. Most of us love it and call it heaven. Gas and food (and people!) are almost nonexistent. Gorgeous section through old-growth redwoods on the coastal end. Not uncommon for slides to take out some sections, but it is re-opened quickly - but may be dirt road for a few hundred feet. I haven't gone over yet this year, but it has been pretty mild winter and I haven't heard of any problems so I believe it is paved all the way. Expect gravel and dirt on the road in the corners as some idiots do try to take trailers over and they end up off the asphalt and drag a lot of debris back on. But still oh so worth it!

For me, it's a no brainer. 36W is WAY more exhilerating and will balance out the tire wear induced during the I-5 trek. But it is desolate and the twists are almost non-stop. You will be lucky to maintain a 50 mph average. It will be at least 1 or 2 hours longer trip.

Fear deer at dusk on either route.

My vote is for 299. In my opinion, 36 has too many blind corners and too many very tight, narrow turns. Having ridden both enough times, I prefer and opt for 299 for the scenic value, good road surface, great sweepers, and well engineered corners.

Either choice will get you to the coast. thumbsup.gif

Just a side note...you are going to LOVE this seat. thumbsup.gif I drove up to Shasta Lake City to get mine made too. You really can go 'all day long' on them.

My vote is for 299. In my opinion, 36 has too many blind corners and too many very tight, narrow turns. Having ridden both enough times, I prefer and opt for 299 for the scenic value, good road surface, great sweepers, and well engineered corners.

Either choice will get you to the coast. thumbsup.gif

While I respect your opinion, and Hwy 299 is nice, if someone has never ridden Hwy 36, it is an unforgettable experience, "blind corners and too many very tight, narrow turns" (not that many, really) be damned. Hwy 36 may be the best motorcycle road in the universe. Hyperbole? I don't care. Hwy 36 absolutely rocks!

THANKS for all the good info.

I think I'll plan on taking 36, carefully, assuming I get out of Russell Day Long before 4pm. After 4pm I'll take 299. After 5pm I'll take 36 on Saturday morning.

Kevin

I did 36 a few weeks ago... fablous! 5' of snow on the edges and none on the road. I was careful on the blind corners though, snow melt and sanded surfaces makes for red slime. I went over on 36 and returned on 299. I was told at the gas station to watch for LEO...

barryNmarin

Hwy 36 gets a big thumbs up, but watch out for these guys on the road on 36 a mile west of Hwy 3 intersection. They gave me quite a startle as I rounded the curve!

265993755_mSKpt-M.jpg265993753_5dMoe-M.jpgthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Archived