IGNORED

Simple "Oil" Question

Rotor

Easy, I'm not trying to start anything; but…

I’m thinking of trying the Mobile 1 Synthetic. Question: Can I simply walk in to my local parts store and pick up the regular Mobile 1 Synthetic Automotive Oil, or do I need to look for a particular rating? confused.gif

I'd say yes...

I use Mobil 1 in every vehicle I own. I've never had a lick of problem. I have an Acura with 170K on it. Burns no oil, runs like a clock. I've run more than one engine over 200K with Mobil 1. I've never had an engine problem (well.. there WERE lifter issues with that piece of crap Chrysler Minivan.. but.. hey.. it WAS a Chrysler, plus I didn't switch that one over to Mobil 1 til 60K, it was right when I started using it)

My buddy with an ST1300 runs Mobil 1 in his and has 130,000 miles on it. Engine runs like new and doesn't burn a drop of oil. I use regular Mobile 1 15-50 in my RT. No issues but I only have 12K on it yet. I used it in my K1200RS as well with never a problem. I think it's great stuff....

Let the oil wars begin!!! wave.gif

"What.. you don't use BMW Brand synthetic that is blessed by the high priests of BMW and hand packaged in the Black Forest by German virgins during the full moon?"

Let the oil wars begin!!!

"What.. you don't use BMW Brand synthetic that is blessed by the high priests of BMW and hand packaged in the Black Forest by German virgins during the full moon?"

That's funny lmao.gif!

Let the oil wars begin!!!

That's funny lmao.gif!

I knew as soon as I posted it things would get off-the-chain! dopeslap.gif

It's just a question about picking up the correct Mobile 1 Oil. Don't burn me at the stake! wave.gif

Mobil 1 is good stuff. The only thing that you might want to look for is the original 'red cap' 15W-50 formula (vs. the more common 'gold cap' 15W-50 EP ('Extended Performance') version. The former has higher levels of ZDDP, a desirable additive. Not all stores carry the red cap version but it shouldn't be too hard to find, for instance my local Walmart carries both versions.

Mobil 1 is good stuff. The only thing that you might want to look for is the original 'red cap' 15W-50 formula (vs. the more common 'gold cap' 15W-50 EP ('Extended Performance') version. The former has higher levels of ZDDP, a desirable additive. Not all stores carry the red cap version but it shouldn't be too hard to find, for instance my local Walmart carries both versions.

That's what I was looking for: "Mobile 1 Synthetic, 15W-50W Red Cap".

Thanks,

That's what I was looking for: "Mobile 1 Synthetic, 15W-50W Red Cap".

Thanks,

I don't know about in the US, but up here in Canada I was using the Red cap (15W 50) in my Kawasaki Concours and then in my RT.

The last time I bought it I just put it on the shelf ready for the next oil change. thumbsup.gif

When I took a closer look at the bottle it was NOT 15W50!

It still had the Red cap but it is now 5W50!

confused.gif

I took it back and all the bottles with the Red cap are now 5W50, at least up here. I can no longer find Mobil 1 15W50.

I am now trying the Mobil 1 motorcycle oil that is 20W50.

It is much more expensive, but at least it is the recomended

grade.

Andy.

It still had the Red cap but it is now 5W50!
Darned if you're not right (looking at the Mobil 1 Canada website.) I guess they feel that a 5W version would be more popular in the Canadian climate. Maybe you can get someone in the US to ship you some 15W-50... except by the time you were done with the shipping costs you probably might as well just buy the 20W-50 motorcycle stuff locally...

I am now trying the Mobil 1 motorcycle oil that is 20W50.

I'm curious as to what results you'll look for or hope to find,that will determine whether or not you continue to use....?

I can only find the gold cap by me now. Walmart quite carrying it locally. I'll just use the gold cap...

I knew as soon as I posted it things would get off-the-chain! dopeslap.gif

It's just a question about picking up the correct Mobile 1 Oil. Don't burn me at the stake! wave.gif

Sorry John.. I just couldn't resist.. smile.gif

My "NEW!" Mobil 1 15W-50 has a Gray cap. May be the old style? dopeslap.gif
I have seen the old style packaged with both a red and silver (gray) cap. The new style is identified by a gold cap and the words 'Extended Performance' on the label.

The difference between motorcycle specific and automotive grade motor oils are that motorcycle oils do not have friction reducing additives in them, which are purported to cause slippage with wet clutches. Obviously, that isn't an issue with a dry clutches, so I would guess it would be preferable if anything to use automotive type oils given the choice.

The difference between motorcycle specific and automotive grade motor oils are that motorcycle oils do not have friction reducing additives in them, which are purported to cause slippage with wet clutches. Obviously, that isn't an issue with a dry clutches, so I would guess it would be preferable if anything to use automotive type oils given the choice.

I agree. I will note that Mobil 1 works fine in wet clutch bikes as well. I know at least 1/6 dozen LD riders that use Mobil 1 in wet clutch bikes. Plus I use it in my wifes Ninja 250. No issues...

The problem is that most automotive oils, including high quality synthetics, are not available in SF or SG ratings, which contain more phosphorous and zinc and anti-wear stuff. Auto oils have reduced these items out of environmental considerations.

Mobil One auto oil is good, but shares this deficiency. I can't find it locally, but I believe there is also a Mobil One motorcycle oil which, I am guessing (but don't know) has a higher level of the good stuff.

My "NEW!" Mobil 1 15W-50 has a Gray cap. May be the old style? dopeslap.gif
I have seen the old style packaged with both a red and silver (gray) cap. The new style is identified by a gold cap and the words 'Extended Performance' on the label.

Well...what now? Red Cap, silver cap, grey cap, gold cap, 5W-50, 15W-50, motorcycle specific or automotive, etc, etc.

confused.gif

So much for "Simple". Who knew? This thread wasn't supposed to go like this!! However, I must confess I do enjoy reading the responses. thumbsup.gif

Michael, no harm. Just didn't want it to get too far off track.

So, get the "Red Cap" 15W-50 if I can find it. Otherwise, whatever 20W-50 Mobile 1 Syn they have?

Mobil One auto oil is good, but shares this deficiency.
Not necessarily. The original red/silver cap 15W-50 automotive formulation (which Mobil re-introduced and is commonly available in stores) has a ZDDP level of 1200ppm which is considered adequate by just about every high-performance vehicle manufacturer. The motorcycle-specific version has 1600ppm but I doubt that this is worth the considerably higher price.

BTW is is not the API rating (SF/SG/SM etc.) that limits ZDDP content in newer oils but rather compliance with ILSAC/ACEA standards. 'Starburst' oils comply with ILSAC/ACEA standards but non-compliant viscosities (usually above 30 weight) are not so required. Check the back of the bottle and you will note that Mobil 1 in common automotive weights (i.e. 5W-30, 10W-30, etc.) all carry an ILSAC/ACEA ratings but the higher weight oils (including 15W-50) do not. Avoid Starburst ILSAC/ACEA-rated oils for motorcycle use, but there are several other high-quality automotive (and diesel) oils in appropriate weights that are quite suitable.

Well...what now? Red Cap, silver cap, grey cap, gold cap, 5W-50, 15W-50, motorcycle specific or automotive, etc, etc. confused.gif
Bottom-line, one sentence answer... use red/silver cap Mobil 1 15W-50 automotive oil. It is an excellent and cost-effective choice for your bike.

Bottom-line, one sentence answer... use red/silver cap Mobil 1 15W-50 automotive oil. It is an excellent and cost-effective choice for your bike.

Thanks Gang! thumbsup.gif

Have yet to switch to synthetic ( turned just 8k) and will change oil after a short trip to CA next week at over 9k. At the 12k mark I will go synthetic. On my Gold Wing I use Amsoil synthetic with good results. YMMV

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2005 R1200RT. The dealer changed me over to synthetic at the 12K mark. I just called today to ask what I can use to top it off when it uses some oil. I was told they put in 20-50 Amsoil synthetic, but if I couldn't find it (which I couldn't), almost any good grade synthetic 20-50 or 15-50 would be OK.

Archived