IGNORED

I Danced with a Tuono and Norge on Sunday

keithb

It all started about 3 months ago with a club member asking me if I would be interested in mileaging some bikes in the future with her? I said sure just give me a call. Last Monday I had a voicemail from her asking if I would be interested in riding an all Italian stable this weekend. You bet I said. Sounds like she knows how to get a guy's attention huh? Two days later I found out I would be riding a new 2008 Aprilia Tuono and a Moto Guzzi Norge. Since I did not know much about the Tuono I contacted the only person I know who has one at this our own Russell Bynum. Russell shared some insight into the handling and power of this bike. Now I was really excited. He said it is basically sport bike with upright seating and whatever you tell it it will do which works well for me. So I laid out a 300 mile ride up the 405, 14, and then on to Spunky Canyon, Bouquet Canyon, Gorman, Lockwood Valley Rd., and Rt. 33 through Ojai and back to Torrance.

Sunday morning rolls around and we all meet at in Torrance at her office. The red, white and blue rimmed Tuono is beautiful and sounds waaaay good when started. We take off up the 405 at 8 am and I am running it up through the gears and the power band to 6K rpm's. The power of this machine is intoxicating. Think about this, 5th gear, 6K rpm's and you are going 100 mph on the 405 in L.A. on a Sunday morning. I would describe the Tuono as a skateboard on rails with a jet engine between your legs. Sound good? No doubt about it mi amigo. This bike did not want to go under 70 mph all day. Based on the power I was feeling on the 405 I could not wait to get to Bouquet Canyon. B.C. it is about 10-15 miles long and a great combination of twisties, elevation changes and just flat out fun curves. The Tuono was so fluid it was effortless going thru the curves. Russell warned about getting on the gas out of corner and before you know it you are at the next corner. You were so right Russell. We stopped at Elizabeth Lake Country Club for a little breakfast at the golf course restaurant. Very good food BTW and very reasonable.

As we took off from the golf course I was now riding the Norge. Let's just say it was sedate compared to the Tuono. There is really nothing that stands out about this bike to me. The power was OK. It liked the 60-90 mph range. It handled Ok but nothing really special. The automatic windscreen was worthless and the seat would need to be changed. There were no bags on the bike so I cannot speak to their size or usefulness. I rode the Norge for 50 miles and was ready to hop back aboard the Tuono when we got to Camp Scheideck near Rt. 33.

Rt. 33 South to Ojai is one fun road. It is a combination of some high speed sweepers, and very tight twisties on the north side of the mountain. I wanted to be a bit more aggressive on the road because it is so fun but one, I was on a brand new bike, and two, I wanted to be invited back for another ride and three it was dirty from the recent storms that had passed through recently. The lean angle, wide bars (love those wide bars BTW), braking, and power is spot on with this bike. If you are in the market for a true canyon carver this is your bike. I can honestly say the one thing I did not appreciate about this bike is the lack of a windscreen. I have a sore neck and shoulders to prove it. There is no doubt about it this bike is a helluva bang for your buck and I thoroughly enjoyed riding it for 250 miles on Sunday.

russell_bynum

Yeah baby!

I haven't been up on those roads in ages, but you're right...they've got "Tuono" written all over them.

One thing on the windscreen...my '03 Tuono's got more in that department than '06 and later ones. Plus, I've got a Zero Gravity "Sport Touring" screen that's a little taller and a little more vertical than stock. To me, that makes a huge difference.

"Skateboard on rails with a jet engine between your legs"

Here's a shot of me from my Sunday morning ride:

80932-big.jpg

Yep...that sounds about right. Too bad you had to keep it under 6K. 7K is where it turns from "Man, this thing is incredible" to "Holy sh*t!"

Russell warned about getting on the gas out of corner and before you know it you are at the next corner.

Where was he when I needed help?????????????????????

For the record.........the front brake is useless when the front wheel is in the air!!!!!!!!

dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

I blame Russell for my near death experience.

So what is this "mileaging" of bikes... ?

More then you wanted to know.

All I want to know is how do I become a member of this club confused.gif

Eric the envious frown.gif

You lucky dog Keith thumbsup.gif

So what is this "mileaging" of bikes... ?

More then you wanted to know.

All I want to know is how do I become a member of this club confused.gif

Eric the envious frown.gif

You lucky dog Keith thumbsup.gif

This at least I understand:

Bear in mind, Piaggio group rarely knows when they are going to want their bikes done, so late notice might not be a good thing..just letting you all know. (They are an Italian company...)

lmao.gif

russell_bynum
Russell warned about getting on the gas out of corner and before you know it you are at the next corner.

Where was he when I needed help?????????????????????

For the record.........the front brake is useless when the front wheel is in the air!!!!!!!!

dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Funny story about that. Last week I put new Pilot Powers on the Tuono. Sunday I went out for a shakedown ride. 140 miles in the twisties.

When I got back home, the front tire still had the little nubs that it gets when it's released from the mold.

No such problem with the rear.

grin.gif

I blame Russell for my near death experience.

thumbsup.gif

You do have to work to stay ahead of it...especially coming off of an RT. I remember going into corners on the RT and just pinning the throttle at the apex. If I did that on the Tuono, I'd need a parachute to survive the landing. eek.gif

Hi Whip

It looked exactly like the bike in the picture and if I could remember how to post pics on this site or any site for that matter I would have posted a pic of me and the bike.

Russell

Speaking of nubs I had the same experience. They were gone off the rear but still on the front. I thought I was doing pretty well going through some of the corners on 33 between 70-90. Kinda hurt my pride a little bit when I saw them on the front tire. I will get them on the next ride. GRRR!

"Mileaging a bike" is basically breaking the bike in before it is delivered to the journalist that is going to ride and write about the bike in an article for the bike magazines. We mileaged 2 Norge's, the Tuono, and a RT. Forgot to mention I thought the brakes on the Norge were spongy compared to my RT. A guy at Camp Scheideck where we stopped for a bit came out and saw the bikes and said he thought he was at a bike show. All of us got a good laugh out of that comment.

VladtheImpaler

"Skateboard on rails with a jet engine between your legs" thumbsup.gif Keith you have a way with words.

Russell, that picture just kills me.

Well I guess I have my moments with the verbage. Thanks. I love the picture as well. Too bad I could not dial the bike up a bit more on 33 but it sure was fun riding it. In ways it reminded me of my Ducati. Not a whole lot of fun getting there because of the ergos or lack thereof but once you were in the twisties it was splendid.

Archived