IGNORED

Bombardier Can Am Spyder

jwurbel

Any one ride or bought one of these? They are going for around $3500 over list in the Phoenix area according to a friend who bought one.

Road one last summer. Pretty cool. Some say it likes to wander over the road, but I didn't seem to have that problem, at least no more than a two wheeler on grooved roads anyway. Plenty of power and a lot of fun to take fast corners on. I would wait a year or two before buying one though, when the price comes down to a realistic amount. I hear Corbin is working on a seat and hard bags for it.

Took one for a good test ride. Impressive. Different than the bike, much more like the snowmobile feel in turns. It's fun to ride, but not tempted to replace my bikes with it.

Engine and gearbox are SWEET.

In the end, I'm glad such things exist. If/when I can't handle two wheels, if life pushes me towards a trike, that's the one I want. Not some goldwing with Acura wheels.

I also test rode one last summer and it felt twitchy to me... It did have good power and was fun on corners. Much like a quad, it was stable. Just can't see replacing my bike with one though... Too wide to split lanes.

Tons of people test riding them at Daytona this year. They look like a great time but I was not willing to stand in line or come back to take the ride. Oh, they did get a bonus photo of themselves posing on the web after their test ride.

Baba_ORiley
Seems they should have made it to lean.

Exactly! They took the easy way out, just adapting snowmobile skis for front wheels.

As for what it should be, take a look at this patent application image from none other than Harley Davidson.

harleytrike4.jpg

full story here:

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2007/06/01/harley-davidson-leaning-trike-patent-application/

Me? I would consider buying a leaning trike. At least it would preserve one of the best aspects of two-wheeling.

Exactly! They took the easy way out, just adapting snowmobile skis for front wheels. (Ha! Spoken from that hotbed of snowmaching I see....Texas!)

As for what it should be, take a look at this patent application image from none other than Harley Davidson.

harleytrike4.jpg

full story here:

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2007/06/01/harley-davidson-leaning-trike-patent-application/

Me? I would consider buying a leaning trike. At least it would preserve one of the best aspects of two-wheeling.

No need to lean. As for that Harley patent, only one wheel in front, it NEEDS to lean for stability. There are some leaning trikes on the market......for about 30 or 40k! And what's all this crap about "wouldn't want to REPLACE my bike with one." Who the hell would? I'd just ADD one to my stable. Comparing it to a snowmachine ain't right. I've got 35 years of riding snow machines in Alaska and I can tell ya, ain't the same. If you think you can't lean a snow machine....you don't know how to ride one. Bottom line is different flavors for different folks.

Exactly! They took the easy way out, just adapting snowmobile skis for front wheels. (Ha! Spoken from that hotbed of snowmaching I see....Texas!)

harleytrike4.jpg

full story here:

No need to lean. As for that Harley patent, only one wheel in front, it NEEDS to lean for stability. There are some leaning trikes on the market......for about 30 or 40k! And what's all this crap about "wouldn't want to REPLACE my bike with one." Who the hell would? I'd just ADD one to my stable. Comparing it to a snowmachine ain't right. I've got 35 years of riding snow machines in Alaska and I can tell ya, ain't the same. If you think you can't lean a snow machine....you don't know how to ride one. Bottom line is different flavors for different folks.

Wellll, it does need to lean. For fun!!!! clap.gif

Any one ride or bought one of these? They are going for around $3500 over list in the Phoenix area according to a friend who bought one.

I sat on one, was going to ride it. The machine seems to be set-up for the 28 inch inseam crowd. It was a very cramped fit for me, so I passed........... tongue.gif

szurszewski
There are some leaning trikes on the market......for about 30 or 40k!

Piaggio makes one for a little less than that...but I suppose it probably doesn't go fast enough for most of the crowd here... tongue.gif

I know someone that has one of those (The Bombardier that is.) I've never ridden one, and no the Bombardier doesn't lean, but the reverse trike is definitely a technical improvement over a standard trike.

• 1 month later...

Saw one of these on the road last weekend. Really nice looking. I didn't know what it was at first. We're planning to test ride one this weekend. Can't wait. Rode seadoos and quads but never a snowmobile so can't wait to see how this feels. Certainly is better looking than the back wheeled trikes.

Piaggio came out with a lesser priced model that leans. It's called the MP3 and comes in three sizes. The 500cc is $8900.00 .. here are the specs.

The Piaggio is not quite as bulky and not as fast as the CanAm Spyder but it sure looks like fun! The Piaggio looks more like a three wheeled scooter than a three wheeled motorcycle.

DiggerJim
Piaggio came out with a lesser priced model that leans. It's called the MP3 and comes in three sizes. The 500cc is $8900.00 .. here are the specs.

Check out this month's Rider magazine for a review.

Check out this month's Rider magazine for a review.

Yep, thanks, read it. Between that article and the Spyder sighting we had last week, it's what started the intrique for me.

Well we had our Try a Spyder ride today.

It was a very good road test. We had orientation and a movie first then we had a test through cones to make sure we were road ready. We did about 10 miles on a variety of different road types and speeds. Very interesting machine. It was very strange at first. I think if we had more experience on ATV's or snowmobiles we would have had the "steering" down. Marty took to it faster than me. I kept trying to muscle my way around turns until I realized if I push pull the handlebars and used a little body english it was easier.

The 5 speed gearing was great....solid and smooth. It really had some giddyup and go. We only got into 4th gear but you could tell it had a lot more to go. It was kind of twitchy at speed if you even slightly moved the handlebars. The Spyder is 5' wide so where we are used to staying in the left or right side of the lane on the motorcycles you had to stay in the middle of the road. When one of the front tires hit a bump or ridge in the road you could feel it. It was just weird...a good weird but still weird. You feel like you're on a bike cause you're in full gear and it sounds like a bike but you're lower and you see those big wheels out front and you feel like you're on the street with an ATV. A few hours on the Spyder and I'm sure we'd have it down and it would be a blast.

The Spyder has a lot of great features and Marty and I are really considering it in the future after they find out what kinks they need to work out. With ABS, Electronic stability control, liquid cooled, a 6.6 tank capacity, storage room, reverse with parking brake and some really nice pick up.....I think it's something to consider.

If you won't miss leaning into turns then you can give up your motorcycle but otherwise just add the Spyder to your stable. We're hoping to do that in the future.

Well we had our Try a Spyder ride today. The Spyder is 5' wide so where we are used to staying in the left or right side of the lane on the motorcycles you had to stay in the middle of the road.

Thanks for the test report. I participated in the 17th annual Ride For Kids (PBTF) yesterday hosted at Honda headquarters in Torrance, CA and a Can Am was slotted just two bikes from mine. It was interesting checking out the double upper and lower A-arm front suspension and talking to the owner just before the ride. I followed just behind and to the left of him as the routed threaded around the Palos Verdes coastal area. Yes, he did have to place the bike (or is that "backwards trike"?) to "occupy" most of the lane.

I rode one a few weeks ago. Very cool little machine... I like the technology of it and I like the vehicle but, after riding it, I can't call it a motorcycle. I liked it a lot but at the end of the day, I want to lean into turns and I like the feel of a motorcycle better ..... but my wife wants a Spyder :)

DB

• 3 weeks later...
the hank freid

This is a very well developed vehicle with a lot of standard features and a lot of options and my personal feeling is it will be a hit. If other companies are not already working on something like this, you can bet they’ll be watching closely to see what happens. I can envision a wide range of market segments where this will do well. Check it out then come back and tell us what you think.

This is a very well developed vehicle with a lot of standard features and a lot of options and my personal feeling is it will be a hit. If other companies are not already working on something like this, you can bet they’ll be watching closely to see what happens. I can envision a wide range of market segments where this will do well. Check it out then come back and tell us what you think.

I did (see pg 1), I agree and I want one. Maybe next year.

I rode one. Since I didn't have to worry about the bike falling and trying to catch it and then rip up my new shoulder, I went to the local dealer and rode one.

I came home with a big grin on my face and Nurse Nancy said "What did you think?" I told her it was a blast. Could burn rubber in first and second gear. Light steering, responsive, great ABS brakes, nice gearbox, reverse, quick, lots of power. Like riding a street legal ATV with the wheels out in front. Didn't even try to put foot down at rest. Small screen had wind on my chest. Quiet by my helmet.

So she asks if I wanted to buy one. And I said NO, I want to know someone who owns one and ride it from time to time. grin.gif

It really doesn't replace a motorcycle, it is something else. I suspect there is a large market that they will tap and it will be very successful.

They are really trying to make owners feel part of a special group. Check out Can Am Spyder Web site

If you get a chance to try one, I would urge you to do so. If you go in with an open mind, knowing it is not a replacement for a motorcycle, I'm sure you would find it enjoyable.

PS Don't tell my DR.

Took a test ride last year and wasn't impressed. Turning is primarily upper body strength to absorb the centrifugal force as opposed to the bike suspension. I'm sure some would find it fun but the lack of a hand brake turned me off. Also, the accessories seemed pretty pricey.

I work in automotive testing, training, and marketing. BRP came to us to facilitate a focus group when they were deciding if they should bring this thing to market. I designed a closed course and rode the machine around it. I could not get off that thing fast enough...

From a marketing standpoint, this is the right machine at the right time. Seeking adventure and rich life experiences, consumers continue to broaden their avocational interests. The Spyder is an entre to wind-in-your-hair motorcycling with fewer safety issues...b/c those rich experiences cannot come with high risk.

So, the spyder looks cool, but it did not appeal to my adventurous spirit. It is not a fun ride. I understand that they worked out the steering on production models, but the effort required to change directions was extremely difficult. To corner aggressively, I had to move my body weight into the corner (like riding a sidecar outfit) and stretch great distances to keep both hands on the bars and controls, an acrobatic and aerobic exercise. Not fun. The first corner I was nearly thrown off the machine. Fun for cruising, perhaps. No fun for canyon carving.

I think the Piaggio MP3 is the right idea to get people out of their cages: it has supermoto-like grip/handling and amazing stability.

bb

I work in automotive testing, training, and marketing. BRP came to us to facilitate a focus group when they were deciding if they should bring this thing to market. I designed a closed course and rode the machine around it. I could not get off that thing fast enough...

From a marketing standpoint, this is the right machine at the right time. Seeking adventure and rich life experiences, consumers continue to broaden their avocational interests. The Spyder is an entre to wind-in-your-hair motorcycling with fewer safety issues...b/c those rich experiences cannot come with high risk.

So, the spyder looks cool, but it did not appeal to my adventurous spirit. It is not a fun ride. I understand that they worked out the steering on production models, but the effort required to change directions was extremely difficult. To corner aggressively, I had to move my body weight into the corner (like riding a sidecar outfit) and stretch great distances to keep both hands on the bars and controls, an acrobatic and aerobic exercise. Not fun. The first corner I was nearly thrown off the machine. Fun for cruising, perhaps. No fun for canyon carving.

I think the Piaggio MP3 is the right idea to get people out of their cages: it has supermoto-like grip/handling and amazing stability.

bb

Yes, I agree...it did take a lot (almost too much) upper body english to turn and by the time the 20 minute test ride was over I felt it. However, I think more practice would have made a difference. I can't imagine riding it on the very curvy roads here in North Georgia without a LOT of experience. Still, I would buy one but I wouldn't sell my bike.

We plan to test ride the Piaggio soon. although it's more scooter-ish looking the lean capabilities it has that the Spyder doesn't have might be more to my liking.

bb

Yes, I agree...it did take a lot (almost too much) upper body english to turn and by the time the 20 minute test ride was over I felt it. However, I think more practice would have made a difference. I can't imagine riding it on the very curvy roads here in North Georgia without a LOT of experience. Still, I would buy one but I wouldn't sell my bike.

We plan to test ride the Piaggio soon. although it's more scooter-ish looking the lean capabilities it has that the Spyder doesn't have might be more to my liking.

Laura, in addition to BMW's, we also sell Piaggios and Vespas. I can't tell you how pleasantly surprised I was by my first ride on a Vespa. And the 400/500 MP3 are absolutely amazing. Those things corners like a rat in a sprinkler pipe (the 250 does too, but it's a little underpowered for my taste).

You will not be disappointed.

Look again at the mirrors on the sketch, they are facing back and the two wheels are on the front of the bike.

Yup...

3716.jpg.ebf5f104e4cefb3e40c3608f842e60a3.jpg

motoguy128

My local Honda dealer is a Cam Am dealer. I sat on it, and listed to the sales guy running on about it to another couple. I had some "real" questions, and I don't think he appreciated it. I was pretty much ignored. Probably because he figured I was only pointing out all it's flaws. They then sent a 16 year old to deal with me that knew nothing about it, or any other bike they had.

The sale guy said things like "revolutionary front suspension"... what, a tpyical double A-arm front end.

So about the same power at the RT, but 160lbs heavier, but I'm guessing shorter gearing... then the added rotational weight of an extra wheel. I'm not terribly impressed. I think top speed is a little lower too with the large frontal area.

The lack of hand brake pretty much ended my interest. Prtty stupid IMO to have a traditional foot shifter and hand clutch but not use a hand brake.

I love car and bike sales people. I almost always know more about the product than they do and love watching them fill the air with BS.

The lack of hand brake pretty much ended my interest. Prtty stupid IMO to have a traditional foot shifter and hand clutch but not use a hand brake.

The lack of handbrake was a VERY insecure feeling. My fingers were grabbing at nothing and it was a little scary riding something so different but with a motorcycle type set-up without a handbrake. I agree, it's a mistake on their part and would be hard to get used to if you have both the Spyder and a motorcycle and switch back and forth. At least it would be for me.

Thanks Effbee.....we plan to get to the Piaggio dealer soon.

If anyone here is serious about buying one of these, get it out for a real road test. The power steering that makes it manageable goes away at 55 mph. Crowned roads and gravel in corners give the compensating computers fits. Tar snakes seem to be extra treacherous, I thnk the computers were correcting slower than my personal corrections so I had a lot of over correction going on.

There were several times on my test ride where I was really concerned about an accident. I cannot believe that this thing in the hands of average people will not turn out to be truely dangerous. Be careful out there at speed.

motoguy128

I heard the salemen explain that the steering actually tightens up at higher speeds to so he rider doesn't steer too quickly. Thsi makes sense because normally a car's steering gets looser as speeds increase. Unlike a motorcycle which is inhernetly stable and gets naturally more difficult to turn, a car is the opposite and get less stable.

Sounds like lawyers programmed the computers. Too consrevative. I suspect they have their work cut out preventing that thing form flipping over at higher speeds. I expcet that they built-in quite a bit of understeer make it manageable.

Archived