IGNORED

airhawk seat consideration

majordad

how effective has an airhawk custion been for those who've purchased them? I saw a picture of one on ebay and thought the concept was good but didn't know if there were functional problems keeping it on the seat eg. not sliding around.

Rider1200RT

I have one and like it a lot. It comes with two, albeit weak, straps to keep it on the seat. I had a custom seat and for the $$ the Airhawk is a better deal. Each person will have a different opinion as all of us are different, but IMHO as far as comfort goes, the Airhawk can't be beat. Just my 0.02 Ct's. YMMV

I think a good custom seat such as a Russell is certainly better, but the Airhawk is a very effective measure at 1/10 the price. No real functional issues and I didn't have a problem with mine moving around and I never even used the straps. It will raise you about 1" in the saddle.

I think a good custom seat such as a Russell is certainly better, but the Airhawk is a very effective measure at 1/10 the price. No real functional issues and I didn't have a problem with mine moving around and I never even used the straps. It will raise you about 1" in the saddle.

I have an AirHawk and I'd say that for the price, it's hard to beat. My experience is that it will only raise you about 1/2" which is also what the AirHawk literature states.

My experience is that it will only raise you about 1/2" which is also what the AirHawk literature states.
Yeah, I agree, it's more like a 1/2".

I didn't like it at all and returned it to the vendor. Just didn't like the feel and felt disconnected from the bike. I also shift my weight a lot when riding hard and felt the seat compromised this.

markgoodrich

Buy one from an authorized dealer and you have 60 days to try it, no questions asked return, according to the info in the box. It solved my tailbone pain problems, something a custom and a Sargent couldn't do on their own.

I have one wide strap of black elastic around the saddle and just slip the Airhawk under it - the four supplied retainers were ridiculous

I used an AirHawk on a few bikes and for a few months on my RT. Overall, I'd say it does what it claims to do. I found it to be comfy on the butt and certainly a relief after a few hundred miles on the stock seat. I had custom seats made for each bike (Rick Mayer) so the Airhawk got bumped.

For me, the downside of the Airhawk was two-fold:

First, I felt totally disconnected from the bike; this was more so on the RT than any other (weight/size?). There is a sensation of floating above the seat and for this reason, I decided only to use it for highway travel. The second issue is height. I felt like it put me a mile up but in reality and as a few have mentioned here, it was more like a 1/2" or so. Doesn't sound like much but it will certainly change the feel of your ride.

I don't think you will be disappointed if you get one,so long as you have realistic expectations. Good luck deciding!

I have one I used on my RT until I got the Russell Saddle. It is very comfortable, but as others have said it raises the seat height and isolates you from the bike. I only used mine for long distance highway riding. I have an Alaska Leather sheepskin, and just slid the Airhawk under it.

I would primarily use it for long trips, like the one I am going to take to Colorado this fall. I will look into the sheep skin too. thanks.

We both use one when riding over 150 miles.We use an Alaska Sheepskin all the time.

For the long trips, Airhawk under the sheepskin as stated above.

Can ride all day.

Important to follow inflation directions and not overinflate. Designed to just raise you above the seat and reduce pressure points. For me. that's more like 1/4 inch.

HIghly recommended.

R&L who was mentioned in the GIVI thread also sell Airhawks.

http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/home/default.htm

Best wishes.

Tried one because of the background of the compamy and experience of Mother-in-law with medical cushion.

Very happy with it. Used under an Alaska sheepskin, and the single strap of the sheepskin holds both in place.

As mentioned the amount of air will determine your satisfaction. Too much air and I believe you get the unattached feeling, too little air and there is not benefit.

As just as tires and other inflatables air temperature can change the volume, changing how the seat feels.

The amount of air also makes the cushion infinitely adjustable.

I myself can highly recommend, and the quality is top notch in my opinion.

• 1 month later...
sardineone

FYI to those out there with R12ST's with the stock seat. I have an AirHawk and it can't overcome such a poorly designed seat.

I had one, hated it really a bad idea/ Not only disconected from the bike It moved alot. Went to the Alaskan sheepskin and I love it.

Save your money!!!

I have one on my RT and love it. Leave it on all the time. Really important to get the right amount of inflation. It doesn't move around on me. maybe 1/4" lift from seat, no complaints. Just got home from a 8 hour ride totally comfy!

Bill

Archived