IGNORED

Bike Blown over

LGannon

Sitting here minding my own business and I heard bang, door bell rings and Bike is on its side, its been pretty stormy here last couple of days but I never thought an RT could be blown over, right side mirror is smashed as is the housing and the small spike on the front footrest, the part I most worried about is the cast alloy latch on the pannier can this be replaced or am I looking at a new case?

Does anyone know how to dis-assemble the latching mechanism on a side case? I've drilled out the rivits on the inside of the case but can't seem to remove the mechanism

you could probably tig weld it for just a few bucks. that funky latch thing is bogus. it should be stainless. i doubt i am the first person to bend it when it has not been fully retracted.

Sitting here minding my own business and I heard bang, door bell rings and Bike is on its side, its been pretty stormy here last couple of days but I never thought an RT could be blown over, right side mirror is smashed as is the housing and the small spike on the front footrest, the part I most worried about is the cast alloy latch on the pannier can this be replaced or am I looking at a new case?

Was it on its side stand or center stand? Whichever one it was on, do you think it wouldn't have blown over if it was on the other. Did you have it under a cover that might have acted like a sail, of was it uncovered?

Sitting here minding my own business and I heard bang, door bell rings and Bike is on its side...
Did the RT ring the door bell?
you could probably tig weld it for just a few bucks. that funky latch thing is bogus. it should be stainless. i doubt i am the first person to bend it when it has not been fully retracted.

It looks like a cast alloy to me, can it be welded?

I'll bet the cover acted like a sail and caught the wind. If that's the case, it probably would have blown it off the center stand too.

Sitting here minding my own business and I heard bang, door bell rings and Bike is on its side...
Did the RT ring the door bell?

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Same thing happened to me. I found a used latching mechanism (all the parts inside the small interior plastic case) but it was from an older bike. I ended up swapping just the broken latch hook. It would have been easier to build a grandfather clock. Lots of parts...difficult to take apart...a Rubik's Cube to reassemble. That was around four years ago and back then you could buy just the latching mechanism, separate from the cases. I would suggest to check your local dealer for a new or used one (same year or close) and swap the entire mechanismin into your case. Good luck trying to swap latch hooks.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It looks like a cast alloy to me, can it be welded?

I think we're talking about the latch hook, not the orange locking tab under the handle. The latch hook cannot be reliably welded.

Rider1200RT

The sidestand is actually more stable due to triangulation. From what I saw in the Dutch newspapers, more wind is on the way so you may want to keep the bike inside if possible..

My RTP has not blown over but I have had bikes blown forward if on a side stand and on a slight slope fwd. wind came from behind and rolled sidestand back, so it was more of a blown fwd. than over.Same result though.

I'll bet the cover acted like a sail and caught the wind. If that's the case, it probably would have blown it off the center stand too.
I hate covers for just that reason. Had a Honda that blew over twice with a cover on it before I wise up and ditched it.

When I broke the one on my RT, I just bought a saddle bag that the latch mechanism was fine on from a wrecked bike, and drilled out the latch mechanism, and placed it on my saddle bag. I then just swapped the locks and I was back in business for like $50 and that included the cost of the rivets. All in all about an hours worth of work to fix.

Even with no wind it's really not too tough to roll the bike forward and off the side stand. If you, or a buddy happen to lean on the top case it can be disastrous. It is particularly easy with an LT. (don't ask me how I know :-)) I have developed a habit of always parking in 1st gear to avoid mishaps.

SCOTTIE

Thanks, I got it apart, it looks like I need part#1 basically the whole latching mechanism, great!

You may well be able to get a second-hand assembly from Motorbins or Motorworks, then reinstall your own lock tumbler.Make sure you tell them which model it is for.

Andy

More than likely a zinc alloy. Generic term "pot metal", a decent casting alloy but not real strong. Mythically there are people who can repait this. I have been in industry for over 20 years without finding one. Replace it and feel lucky that it is that easy.

Archived