IGNORED

Side case liners for the RT

JayW

There is a brand new pair of the BMW OEM liners on e-bay that I am considering, but I have never actually seen a pair in real life. Does anyone own these and recommend them? Do they have handy pockets and other useful functional features? Are they worth it, or should I go with the "Kathy's" available at Bob's BMW? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Jay

I have a set of BMW bags that came w/bike they have pockets to divide smaller items. I had a set of Kathy's bags for an LT I had, they work well also. I'd really go by price, (I wouldn't have bought the BMW bags if the bike didn't come with them.) Although they do have the roundel. lmao.gif

Had a set of the Kathy's liners for my LT and thought they worked really well and were well made. Price was right and lifetime warranty. Not much more to ask for I guess !

Those Motorad bags that list for $92, I have them. Harder plastic/rubber type bottoms, suitcase type material the rest of the way, couple side pockets, zippers. They fit the panniers nicely. I haven't seen or experienced others so I can't judge which might be better. These are OK. I bought my left over 07 RT a few weeks ago and had these thrown in as part of the deal.

Had a set of the Kathy's liners for my LT and thought they worked really well and were well made. Price was right and lifetime warranty. Not much more to ask for I guess !

I agree - and it's so much easier to carry the liners in to a hotel, rather than the somewhat awkward 1200RT bags.

Tom

I have the BMW OEM bags for the side cases (and the 49 liter top case as well).... they are expensive, but worth it... I think they are much nicer than the bag liners I had for my old RT (they were the Kathy's bag liners). I paid about $92.00 per bag and the topcase was a bit more.

The only thing I don't like about the BMW bags is how you load them. The top zipper only, compared with side zippers means strategic placement of your clean undies is much more important. blush.gif I know, TMI. grin.gif

Pat

There is a brand new pair of the BMW OEM liners on e-bay that I am considering, but I have never actually seen a pair in real life. Does anyone own these and recommend them? Do they have handy pockets and other useful functional features? Are they worth it, or should I go with the "Kathy's" available at Bob's BMW? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Jay

I just purchased bag liners for my RT off of flea bay.

Cruiserworks, or something like that, very straight forward transaction.

$49.99 for THE PAIR plus shipping. They are fine for my purposes, I don't require many bells and whistles in a bag liner. Well constructed, excellent fit.

Very nice for grocery shopping and the occasional road trip.

Search R1200RT or K1200GT... they'll pop up.

Check 'em out and see if the have the features you want.

DMilan

I have the BMW OEM bags for the side cases (and the 49 liter top case as well).... they are expensive, but worth it... I think they are much nicer than the bag liners I had for my old RT (they were the Kathy's bag liners). I paid about $92.00 per bag and the topcase was a bit more.

Those are the ones I have. I can say I'm happy with them.

Thanks for all the responses. The aftermarket ones seem like a better value.

If anyone is looking for OEM bags, the e-bay item I referred to has 0 bids so far, the bidding starts at $125 for the brand new set, and ends at about 10:00 Central time tonight. I think the factory price is about $200/set. You can find them by searching under R1200RT. I am not the seller, nor do I know him/her.

I especially like the Cee Bailey's 2-sided zipper arrangement, and the price seems right.

Jay

I bought a set on this site for $125.oo used but like new.They are very nice,well made,fit well in the side cases.Alot nicer than the earlier model bags.They have handles & a shoulder strap for carrying.

Thanks for all the responses. The aftermarket ones seem like a better value.

If anyone is looking for OEM bags, the e-bay item I referred to has 0 bids so far, the bidding starts at $125 for the brand new set, and ends at about 10:00 Central time tonight. I think the factory price is about $200/set. You can find them by searching under R1200RT. I am not the seller, nor do I know him/her.

I especially like the Cee Bailey's 2-sided zipper arrangement, and the price seems right.

Jay

Cool Jay! GLuck with your purchase. I'm sure you can't go wrong. CB vs. BMW vs. Other... hey, in the end they're all doing the same thing. Go for the value factor.

Don_Eilenberger
+1 on C-Bailey's
+3 - look for them on Ebay - Cee Bailey sells them there once in a while, a few bucks cheaper than on their website..

Jay,

Value is subjective.

Cost is not. (Unless we get into "opportunity cost").

I have both the BMW and aftermarket.

The BMW ones fit better, and IMO, are better made.

That said, I also have a set of Kathy's as they were the only "expandable" ones available at the time I put the Touring lids on my system cases.

I use those bags for touring, 2 up. They work very well. Should last a long time w/no problems.

I use the BMW bags (now about 10 years old) every workday.

I carry books, luch, water, papers, ID, etc...

It get tossed about, thrown in corners, etc...it will last a lifetime IMO.

Both bags work. I wish there had been BMW expandable bags available as that would be my first choice based on the many years of daily use. Mine still look brand new. thumbsup.gif They also have an adjustable shoulder strap built in.

Kathy's did not(doesn't?), at least in the expandable version. Small issue, but when you are carrying 3 liners, helmets, etc... into hotel it is an annoyance.

Good luck w/your choice. There are many out there.

Archived