IGNORED

Weather Tips for Trip Planning

Rotor

A couple of us are planning a trip to Colorado and surrounding states the first few weeks of June. For you west/central members, what weather can we expect around that time; Lows and Highs, wet or dry?

We’ve never been in that area so I’m looking for a little advice.

Thanks,

I special ordered a heated vest for my first trip the the Rockies years ago. It was plenty much warm the whole time. But weather can do stuff whenever it wants. Bring along the electrics and the vented stuff too! wave.gif

Depending on your elevation, you can encounter just about anything. The high passes/roads can be very cold and it may even snow in early June. Layers are your friend, and don't forget something for your head. I would have a balaclava as part of my clothing.

www.intellicast.com is a great source for historic averages regarding temps and precipitation. We use it a lot when planning long trips.

My wife and I did a 9 week late summer cross country trip in our convertible, a lot of which was through the areas you mention. The elevation changes had, by far, the biggest effects on the temps. 40 degree swings during the day were very common. In the mountainous areas, you also lose the sun very early as it sets behind the peaks. We had mostly dry conditions, but check the Intellicast for a better prediction.

On a bike, an electric vest with controller is perfect for these conditions. I would not take it without one.

+1 for Intellicast...I cross reference it with noaa.org and rarely get surprised...at least by the weather... lmao.gif

FWIW, I've also found Intellicast to be pretty accurate for overseas travel to Europe/South America (mostly major cities) as well... thumbsup.gif

Bill_Walker

Colorado, particularly in the mountains, is one of those places where the locals say "Don't like the weather? Wait 5 minutes." Could be hot, cold, sun, rain, snow, wind, thunder and lightning. The odds are good for mostly sunny, most of the time, but you need to be prepared.

A couple of us are planning a trip to Colorado and surrounding states the first few weeks of June. For you west/central members, what weather can we expect around that time; Lows and Highs, wet or dry?

We’ve never been in that area so I’m looking for a little advice.

Thanks,

It should be nice. That said, it can be very unpredictable at times. I've gone to Vail most summers for a week in July and have enjoyed excellent weather most of the time. It can turn though, and it turns very vast. I've been in heavy falling snow on the afternoon of July 4th at the top of Vail Pass (10,6000). I've also been enjoying a nice sunny calm day only to be deluged with hail and a 30 degree temperature drop. You'll want to be ready for anything, including lots of sunscreen on anything exposed.

Thanks Kevin, that's good information. I hope it's nice. Either way, I expect to enjoy whatever the weather offers. I just wanted to be prepared for it. smile.gif

Archived