IGNORED

recurring valve check results

jjg3

Recently (last month) added a 96 R/RT in the garage with an 04 Triumph America and a 72 Yamaha R5C. The RT has 25k miles with a 24k/annual performed just prior to my getting it. Now it goes to the shop tomorrow for a clutch replacement. But that's another story. I'm wondering if the community of oilhead owners-at-large who routinely do their own maintenance find a substantial change/reduction in valve gap at recurring 6k checks or if the valves tend to settle in? I know the check is a relatively simple matter, but with an upcoming 9k+ mile 2 week trip coming up I expect to do a service before leaving and would rather limit on the road maint to an oil change if pushing a valve check 3k past is not super critical in an objective sense. Still wonder what the good German engineers were thinking with a measure of 15-30 and no tolerance.

Thanks for any advice,

John

My Motorcycle Albums

Hi John,

Welcome. I've owned my 1150rt for a year now and checked the valves when I brought the bike home last January. The dealer I purchased it from did a 36K service on the bike at 34k miles, or so I was told, that's why I checked the gaps anyway. After 10K+ miles the first 9 months of ownership, my valves are still within spec (didn't move). I think you'll be fine for your trip.

thumbsup.gif

- Jason

What valve checks? On my old boxers and the RTP, once they hit several 10 Kmiles the valves don't change much and I rarely bother to check. When I do they are in spec. Just set them loose a bit to start with and Fagetaboutit! wave.gif

Same here. I check mine at regular intervals, but I haven't needed to adjust them over the last 18,000 miles or so. What I find is more likely to need minor tweeking is the throttle sync. Once I got mine set the first the I did the sync, I haven't had to change much and not every time.

Recently (last month) added a 96 R/RT in the garage with an 04 Triumph America and a 72 Yamaha R5C. The RT has 25k miles with a 24k/annual performed just prior to my getting it. Now it goes to the shop tomorrow for a clutch replacement. But that's another story. I'm wondering if the community of oilhead owners-at-large who routinely do their own maintenance find a substantial change/reduction in valve gap at recurring 6k checks or if the valves tend to settle in? I know the check is a relatively simple matter, but with an upcoming 9k+ mile 2 week trip coming up I expect to do a service before leaving and would rather limit on the road maint to an oil change if pushing a valve check 3k past is not super critical in an objective sense. Still wonder what the good German engineers were thinking with a measure of 15-30 and no tolerance.

Thanks for any advice,

John

My Motorcycle Albums

John, you shouldn’t have any problems as once the initial valve seating & break-in occurs they don’t move much..

About the only time you will see a problem is if the pushrod ends come loose or you get valve recession from overworking the engine..

I always run my valves a little on the loose side any ways & have never seen a gap close up..

You might want to check the alternator belt before the trip as that could be a problem if at higher mileage now..

Another thing to think about is the HES sensor,, those can be a problem on the older 1100 bikes & that WILL leave you dead in the water if it fails on the road (some people carry a spare)..

While the dealer is replacing the clutch have them check the rear torque tube bearings for ANY signs of looseness & have them check the rear wheel bearing for any signs of excess play or metal particles on the drain plug magnet.. (a failed rear final drive bearing will ruin your trip in a hurry)..

Have a good safe trip & post a follow up when you return..

Twisty

Thanks all for the welcome and information! The alternator belt was replaced at the 24k so it should be good to go. I've heard tales of the HES and will ask the shop if they have a spare they can let go of. As for the lack of change in valve clearance, I suspected as much but it's good to hear from first hand experience. The Triumph served well thus far as a commuter and performed relatively well on a couple of long haul trips. But it's a bit underpowered crossing mountains and trying to maintain high speeds out west. For a trip from VA to AK and back with a visit to Pike's Peak in the middle it seemed something with a little more go was in order.

Ride safe and thanks again,

John

My Motorcycle Albums

I checked and adjusted mine every 10,000km( 6 k miles) up to the 50,000km mark. Mine settled in nicely at 30,000km (20 k Miles).

I only had to do the odd time minor adjust from 50,000km to 230,000km and only checked them every 20,000km during that period. Now I'd feel comfortable going 30,000km between checks. TB adjust every 10,000km only just for something to do.

Archived