IGNORED

Chatterbox communicator question

Beembish

Hey all

I am looking at buying a Chatterbox HJ50. I have custom ear plugs (we are both hearing aid dispensers)that my wife and I use while listening to an IPOD. I think I can plug the IPOD into the chatterbox so I won't need the ear speakers but we will need the boom for each of us to talk. What should I order? Can this be done?

Rob

It depends on the type of helmet you use.

If an open-style helmet, you need the boom. If you have a full-face or modular (flip-up) style, then the mic will be on a wire that velcros to the chin bar of the helmet in front of your lips.

I've owned two of these systems, and they are nice when they work, but the workmanship on them is not very good.

You will be able to plug in your iPod with the proper cable. HJC (Chatterbox) sells a multimedia cable that works well, and is a "curly cord" that takes up its own slack.

WyreNut

I don't want this to come off smarmy, but you really need to consider something better than a Chatterbox. Autocom, of course, is the best IMO. But if price is an issue, then even something less, like a Starcom, is better than a Chatterbox, although you really shouldn't go cheap on something like this. Nothing worse than a system that sounds like exactly what you paid for it.

John Bentall
Nothing worse than a system that sounds like exactly what you paid for it.

Especially if you're using highly-sensitive in ear speakers - even if one is hard of hearing!

I don't want this to come off smarmy, but you really need to consider something better than a Chatterbox. Autocom, of course, is the best IMO. But if price is an issue, then even something less, like a Starcom, is better than a Chatterbox, although you really shouldn't go cheap on something like this. Nothing worse than a system that sounds like exactly what you paid for it.

support EffBee's comments.

I had a Chatterbox and it was only ok, wind noise in background is a problem, but you can live with it. My biggest gripe was the box bolted to the side of the helment - I continuously got it hung up on my collar looking during left hand turns or quick looks over the shoulder during traffic manuvers.

I got an Autocom Super AVI and the system is fantastic, Autocom has different models (with different features) at specific price points.

Good luck with your search.

Luis

Archived