IGNORED

Blue Ridge Parkway Planing!!!

Motorrad4fun

Motorrad4fun

going to take 3 days and ride the Blue Ridge Parkway. Please give me any must sees. I think I will have more than enough time to see a lot of things......Also, any places you can suggest to stay along the way/////

I like the Folk Arts Center on the parkway in Asheville just to see the woodcrafts and get ideas for Christmas presents that I can make. If you haven't been to Mabry Mill, I would think it's a must see. Only other suggestion is not to bother with Mt. Mitchell this time of year. You already know what dead trees look like and what cold, damp and windy feel like.

Paul Mihalka

When are you going to travel? The Folk Arts Center in Asheville is open year-round, but most other places are closed to close to Memorial Day. Remember there is no gas on the BRP.

lurker.gif I'll be listening to this thread. I'm planning the trip the second week of June. Any good alternate routes back down the parkway instead of just turning around and coming back down the same way?

Any good alternate routes back down the parkway instead of just turning around and coming back down the same way?

Rt 221 from Roanoke south is a great ride. thumbsup.gif

Motorrad4fun

The Folk art center sounds great. I did not know about the gas situation. I guess I will have to go into towns to get gas.

I will be traveling April 9th through the 11th.....

Open for anybody wanting to come along, so far we have 2 confirmed and one on the fence. lurker.gif

Any other info would be great, and thanks for the replies so far!!

Motorrad,

I live on Highway 9 just south of Lake Lure and Chimney Rock (great foto ops). I have some great roads through Tryon and Saluda and on Highway 11 over to Caesar's Head (SC) and back into Brevard. From Brevard you can go through the Pisgah National Forest and catch the Blueridge Parkway again from there. Going west from there will take you to the Cherohala and Deal's Gap not to forget the infamous Dragon's Tail. I'd be happy to meet you somewhere and tag along for awhile if that's allright with you?

Bruce

Paul Mihalka

Traveling early April watch out for the weather. At one of the spring El Paseo rides around Asheville we had a snow storm on the last weekend of April. It can be freezing on the high spots.

I've stayed at the Peaks of Otter Lodge on the parkway several times. It's expensive but I guess you're paying for the atmosphere. Good food, warm, dry, nice walks to get stretched back out after riding. It's at mile 80 or so--the north end of the parkway.

I believe the KOA in Boone has a couple of cabins you can rent. Again, warm, dry; good food down the road at a seafood place. About mile post 280.

If it's a clear day, there's a side rode up Roanoke Mt. with great views of the valley. It's a steep, one lane, first and maybe second gear, but a nice break; somewhere around milepost 120.

NC151 just flat rocks!

Maybe you should try to adjust your trip and come down for the Blue Ridge Rendezvous! <hint> <hint> lmao.gifwave.gif

Traveling early April watch out for the weather. At one of the spring El Paseo rides around Asheville we had a snow storm on the last weekend of April. It can be freezing on the high spots.

2005, I remember Mark's stories on having to call a flat bed to carry his bike a mile down the road because it was snowing so bad on Sunday.

I was in Blowing Rock and on my way when the weather reports started to change for the worse. Between that and the Tour De Georgia I changed my plans..

Motorrad4fun
NC151 just flat rocks!

Maybe you should try to adjust your trip and come down for the Blue Ridge Rendezvous! <hint> <hint> lmao.gifwave.gif

Sure wish I could, however the dates are firm!! It sound like it would be a blast, have a great time!!

Archived