IGNORED

Introduction and Noisy engine on start.

turbochaz

Hello everyone,

Let me first introduce myself. My name is Charlie. I've been lurking around here for a little while and like the kind of information shared here. I've become the recent owner of an '02 R1150RS and absolutely love the bike. It's my third Beemer and favorite to date.

Now on to my problem. Hopefully someone out there has come across this problem in the past and offer some advice. The bike only has 11K miles on it. Upon start there is a loud rattle until the engine builds oil pressure, then all is quiet. I suspect a timing chain tensioner has gone bad, but after looking at one at the dealership, it appears to be such a simple piece, it seems like it couldn't fail at such an early age. Has anyone had this problem that could lend some advise?

Thanks

Charlie

You probably have a left-side chaim chain tensioner that is leaking down. There are some easily-installed upgraded parts to prevent this:

07119963308 SEAL RING

11317656922 PISTON

11317688629 CYLINDER

Hello everyone,

Let me first introduce myself. My name is Charlie. I've been lurking around here for a little while and like the kind of information shared here. I've become the recent owner of an '02 R1150RS and absolutely love the bike. It's my third Beemer and favorite to date.

Now on to my problem. Hopefully someone out there has come across this problem in the past and offer some advice. The bike only has 11K miles on it. Upon start there is a loud rattle until the engine builds oil pressure, then all is quiet. I suspect a timing chain tensioner has gone bad, but after looking at one at the dealership, it appears to be such a simple piece, it seems like it couldn't fail at such an early age. Has anyone had this problem that could lend some advise?

Thanks

Charlie

Charlie, it hasn’t actually failed.. As you noted it is so simple it really can’t fail.. But on the other hand they don’t work either..

The original design mounted the R/H tensioner piston correct side up so the oil would stay in them even after shut down.. The L/H one (your noisy side) is mounted so the piston is coming up from the bottom so all the oil runs out after shut down (a long known problem).. Upon start up they allow T-chain slop until refilled with oil..

The BMW 1200 addressed that problem & released a new design that corrected the noise on start up problem by placing a piston within a piston so the oil stays in the darn thing..

The 1200 parts will fit your 1150 but there have been some part number & design changes so call your dealer for the latest parts (they will know as it is a common problem)..

If you want to save a few $$ call Chicago BMW as they will know the correct parts & will give you a nice discount for mail orders.. May take little longer to get though..

Twisty

DavidEBSmith

If you want to save a few $$ call Chicago BMW as they will know the correct parts & will give you a nice discount for mail orders.. May take little longer to get though.

Actually Chicago BMW usually has all the necessary parts for the tensioner upgrade in stock and sitting right behind the counter ready to go. Last time I noticed, they had a whole big bunch of them.

If you want to save a few $$ call Chicago BMW as they will know the correct parts & will give you a nice discount for mail orders.. May take little longer to get though.

Actually Chicago BMW usually has all the necessary parts for the tensioner upgrade in stock and sitting right behind the counter ready to go. Last time I noticed, they had a whole big bunch of them.

David, that is good to know.. Still their shipping is none too fast,, I’m only one state away & usually takes 4-5 days (probably takes a while to get it in their system for shipment).. Takes CONSIDERABLY longer if they don’t have the parts is stock..

They (Chicago BMW) are friendly,, don’t make many mistakes,, knowledgeable,, I do always get my parts,, & give they give a good discount so I like to deal with them..

Twisty

Well that's still better than the three months it took me to get my order fulfilled (they were on back order.) If Chicago BMW has seen fit to keep these items in stock that's a thoughtful move on their part.

Jeff from Massachusetts
Well that's still better than the three months it took me to get my order fulfilled (they were on back order.) If Chicago BMW has seen fit to keep these items in stock that's a thoughtful move on their part.

I also had problems with Chicago BMW. After a couple of months and no response I called them and the guy I talked with was very rude I cancelled my order.

FWIW I didn't consider the delay to be CBMW's fault in my case... the parts were on back order in North America. I don't think anyone else would have gotten them to me any sooner. I was just saying that maintaining a stock of these high-demand items is a good idea on their part.

If you do end up changing your left tensioner out, it would be best to also replace the "O" ring on the throttle body.

Hopefully someone can chime in with the part#.

Wow! Thanks for all the valuable information. This board has a bunch of great people on it. I hope I can make many contributions in the future. Thanks again!

Charlie

I'm another newbie, having acquired a 1999 RT with 65,000 miles on it about 4 weeks ago. Cold start the engine is quiet, but there is a slight rattle that quickly goes away on a hot start. From replies so far, it sounds like this is a minor issue, and not worth worrying about.

"I'm another newbie, having acquired a 1999 RT with 65,000 miles on it about 4 weeks ago. Cold start the engine is quiet, but there is a slight rattle that quickly goes away on a hot start. From replies so far, it sounds like this is a minor issue, and not worth worrying about. "

You have correctness, honorable sir. The noise is just that -noise. It does not harm the engine in any way. Mine has been doing it for 126,000 miles.

Archived