IGNORED

Scratched Pannier

Semper_Fi

Sooo as i was getting ready to go ride the bike yesterday i put the kickstand down (or so I thought) to close the garage and as I walk away the bike does one of those famous RT drops frown.gifeek.gif looked just like the video (with the mirror pop off and everything), unfortunately it was mine dopeslap.gif.

Damage minor - more spiritual than anything else - the left head was protected as it has the engine guard - worked as advertised.

The left pannier - not so good - several good gouges and scuffs to the plastic.

I was thinking Maaco - any other recommendations or suggestions??

A Blue Biarritz panel from Max is $402.00

Thanks

Luis

I did the exact same thing, except I ended up having to walk it down. Left pannier was scratched up on the bottom - have to bend over to see it. Engine guard protector - well worth the investment.

I bit the bullet and just take it to my paint guy and he repaints the entire lid - painful but I hate to see it scratched up.

Now, I visually confirm that the stand is down and I now am in the habit of gently kicking it forward just to make sure.

Live and learn. crazy.gif

Robert - who was your "paint guy". If i may ask what was the charge?

+1 on kicking the f$%&ing kick stand!!

Luis

I always leave mine in first gear when I park it so it can't roll off. The older K1200RS's were famous for this (Mine went down). Got me in the habit of checked the stand AND leaving it in gear so it can't roll...

You can get it repaired and painted.

We do it all the time.

About 1/2 the price of new, sometimes a bit more.

I am in Denver...didn't notice where you are...but I had one of mine painted by a local shop for $80. Mine is dark graphite, and he did a great job of matching the three colors of pearls under the paint. Shopping around is well worth it, and good luck on getting her patched up.

Hey Luis, sorry about the drop. If you don't have a local shop you trust, you could call Mike at Cutter's Auto Body in Tewksbury (978) 851-5421. I had him paint a set of bags on my 03 RT. He did a great job matching the Biarritz Blue. thumbsup.gif

Pat

Luis, as we speak i'm having a guy paint both lids to match my bike. I bought a used set of bags that were red. He will be painting them Granite Grey metallic. The price is about $200 for both and i have to supply the paint. Car quest in Worcester has the paint (508 752 5122). My paint guys name is Bill his number is 508 269 2962. He is in Mansfield, MA and could do your job quickly. He does great work, if you call him tell him you got his number from Brian Anderson, i told him i would get him some more work.

Thanks,

Brian

We do it all the time.

if I mail you my silver one will you paint it? grin.gif

not two hours into owning mine, I tried to ride up my steep driveway in 2nd and it stalled causing me to lay the bike down. I scratched the left pannier. My 11 year old daughter told me I had a potty mouth. frown.gif

Hey Luis, sorry about the drop. If you don't have a local shop you trust, you could call Mike at Cutter's Auto Body in Tewksbury (978) 851-5421. I had him paint a set of bags on my 03 RT. He did a great job matching the Biarritz Blue. thumbsup.gif

Pat - thanks for the information - will look into it.

Luis

Pat

Luis, as we speak i'm having a guy paint both lids to match my bike. I bought a used set of bags that were red. He will be painting them Granite Grey metallic. The price is about $200 for both and i have to supply the paint. Car quest in Worcester has the paint (508 752 5122). My paint guys name is Bill his number is 508 269 2962. He is in Mansfield, MA and could do your job quickly. He does great work, if you call him tell him you got his number from Brian Anderson, i told him i would get him some more work.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian - this is great - now 2 sources - really appreciate it.

Luis

Luis, here is a little more info. If you call carquest for the paint talk to Jason, he's my best friends dad and he's been selling automotive paint for about 40 years.

The guy Bill that is doing my paint does show quality car restorations. He only has room for one car in the shop at a time so when he gets a car in there, he likes to do small stuff like bike parts on the side. I dropped my stuff off today and i should have it back by the weekend. From what i saw his stuff comes out perfect. I was suprised how reasonable his price was.

Brian

We do it all the time.

if I mail you my silver one will you paint it? grin.gif

not two hours into owning mine, I tried to ride up my steep driveway in 2nd and it stalled causing me to lay the bike down. I scratched the left pannier. My 11 year old daughter told me I had a potty mouth. frown.gif

No, but will drop it on the other side for you. dopeslap.gif

Luis, here is a little more info. If you call carquest for the paint talk to Jason, he's my best friends dad and he's been selling automotive paint for about 40 years.

The guy Bill that is doing my paint does show quality car restorations. He only has room for one car in the shop at a time so when he gets a car in there, he likes to do small stuff like bike parts on the side. I dropped my stuff off today and i should have it back by the weekend. From what i saw his stuff comes out perfect. I was suprised how reasonable his price was.

Brian

Brian - will call Bill/Jason - thank you cool.gif

For all the other members who provided information/support - thanks thumbsup.gif

This is trully an awesome forum.

Luis

Robert - who was your "paint guy". If i may ask what was the charge?

It's a guy here in So. Cal. Many people actually ship their stuff to him. I do not recall the amount for the pannier as he also did the top case for me. He does beautiful work. I could not tell the top case was not factory painted.

He was referred to me by Eddie at Brown Motor Works in Pomona, Ca. They are closed today but I will call Eddie and get the name and number for you and let you know.

I just pulled mine apart entirely to have the locks re-keyed. I would recommend doing them one at a time and take a lot of pictures. There are a million pcs. in there and they're very complex inside. I would consider myself a mechanical person and i found it to be diffucult and it took me about 3 hours to get them all back together and working correctly.

Brian

Doesn't sound too bad. I've dropped mine... four times. Three times stationary and once at about 10mph. The moving drop did the most damage and I replaced the right side lid. The other drops are still with me. On my way to Florida I had and ST1100 rider ask me if my RT was brand new. "nope" I said. It has 54k and almost three years on her. He didn't notice the scratches from the drops. My point is it may not be that bad... but having dropped it, you notice but others probably do not. Regular folks do not notice mine has been dropped. Heck, bikers do not notice either. 55k on her now... and getting faster. She will now redline in top gear. Zumo said 144... Bags and trunk on... And she still looks brand new. Not bad for an old man's bike :-)

Are you asking how to take the saddlebags off or apart?

Apart. I'll likely take both sides and top box top off and ship to painter. Thanks again.

Archived