IGNORED

Anonymous Internet Posting..... Illegal??????????????

Whip

Francois_Dumas

Although I agree in principle - I don't like people hiding in anonymity and am suffering from warez pirates and their 'customers' daily - it is a pretty naive action methinks.... not a hope in hell, I'd say ! grin.gif

Although I agree in principle - I don't like people hiding in anonymity and am suffering from warez pirates and their 'customers' daily - it is a pretty naive action methinks.... not a hope in hell, I'd say ! grin.gif

The U.S. Supreme Court has definitively ruled that the right of free speech includes the right of anonymous free speech. It's hard to square the proposed statute with that principle.

Dave McReynolds

As one of the few people on this board who won't be in jail for not using his or her real name, I pledge to try to keep the spirit of this board alive. Maybe I'll still ride out to Torrey now and then and raise a glass in your memory, and then pee on one of Bob Palin's plants, although whoever is living there then will probably think it is an odd thing to do.

Maybe Rep. Couch had a bad experience with the 15 year old girl whose parents don't understand her that he met online.

Seriously, he mentioned bullying as the problem he wants to fix. Not being a young person on Facebook or Myspace, maybe I'm missing something. If someone is bullying you in cyberspace, wouldn't you just go somewhere else?

Francois_Dumas
If someone is bullying you in cyberspace, wouldn't you just go somewhere else?

Joking aside, it IS a real problem nowadays actually. Especially for (younger) children who do not have the whit to go elsewhere, to understand that the 'other' can be somebody or something totally different from what is perceived, or to just not bother.

Actually, that is not just bullying on the internet, but also being (negatively) influenced by the onslaught of public advertising, tv programs and other ways to influence and brain wash youngsters these days.

As one of the few people on this board who won't be in jail for not using his or her real name, I pledge to try to keep the spirit of this board alive. Maybe I'll still ride out to Torrey now and then and raise a glass in your memory, and then pee on one of Bob Palin's plants, although whoever is living there then will probably think it is an odd thing to do.
I haven't read the link in Whip's original post and am totally confused by this post!
I haven't read the link in Whip's original post and am totally confused by this post!

I think he means......cause none of us use our "real" names the board will be closed.

....and he wants to show you his ....private parts.

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Whip

Dave McReynolds

I think he means......cause none of us use our "real" names the board will be closed.

....and he wants to show you his ....private parts.

Only it wouldn't be Bob I would be showing them to, as he would be in jail with all the rest of you imposters....so I may have to rethink this second part of my salute to the former BMWST board.

I'll plead for probation for using just my first name.

Meantime, note to self: stay off those Eastern Kentucky DB's. Sticks and stones might break my bones, but harsh DB posts would kill me dead. smirk.gif

Bill_Walker

So, how would they intend to go about verifying that the identity with which you registered is actually yours?

Nope, sorry, not gonna work without a whole bunch of other infrastructure around it.

Please remain still until the retinal scan is complete...

Thank you, William J. Walker, 123-456-7890.

Your post has been approved.

Changes have been posted to your credit report. Click here for details.

Your refrigerator reports that you are low on butter pecan ice cream. Click here to have a pint delivered today.

Call your mother.

We could have people arrested on our own board.......

http://www.wtvq.com/content/midatlantic/tvq/video.apx.-content-articles-TVQ-2008-03-05-0011.html

Your first..."BUSTED"grin.gif

Imagine the enforcement issues on this one.

Hey Billy......go arrest that lady for not using her real name when she posted that recipe for pumpkin pie.

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

This will all be covered in the Revolution's Manifesto.

Tom

We could have people arrested on our own board.......

http://www.wtvq.com/content/midatlantic/tvq/video.apx.-content-articles-TVQ-2008-03-05-0011.html

Your first..."BUSTED"grin.gif

Imagine the enforcement issues on this one.

Hey Billy......go arrest that lady for not using her real name when she posted that recipe for pumpkin pie.

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

This will all be covered in the Revolution's Manifesto.

Tom

Tom,

I'm looking forward to a productive working weekend..This Hurricane Katrina thread has got my blood boiling anyway..I'm ready to to get to work! Power to the people!!.. grin.gif

Notacop or the real me, You still wouldn't appreciate the opinion. Would it matter? Besides Keith B and Olgeezer know who I am and still stop by for a Flamingorita.... lmao.gif

This Lawyer must have no life and has been one upped by a mystery poster!

I would absolutely never use my real name or identity in an Internet post.

Are you serious, or kidding? If serious, I don't understand that at all. And it's the part of the internet I want very little to do with, frankly.

Are you serious, or kidding? If serious, I don't understand that at all. And it's the part of the internet I want very little to do with, frankly.

I agree, I may use a nickname but I certainly don't conceal my identity and am suspicious of people that do (though not very).

Oh I'm serious. I have both a personal, and a professional requirement to not have a presence on the Internet. There are certain people that I don't want knowing what I'm up to, and I also have a job requirement to stay out of any public spotlight. It wouldn't be a big deal if forums weren't searchable, but they are.

Oh I'm serious. I have both a personal, and a professional requirement to not have a presence on the Internet. There are certain people that I don't want knowing what I'm up to, and I also have a job requirement to stay out of any public spotlight. It wouldn't be a big deal if forums weren't searchable, but they are.
An implication of all that is that you can never meet any of us in person since we'll know who Mister_Tee is and can't be trusted not to tell. Of course since we know you are an intel/security analyst in Northern California who has an R1200RT and a GSXR it wouldn't be that hard to identify you anyway. Or are you Daniel?
An implication of all that is that you can never meet any of us in person since we'll know who Mister_Tee is and can't be trusted not to tell. Of course since we know you are an intel/security analyst in Northern California who has an R1200RT and a GSXR it wouldn't be that hard to identify you anyway. Or are you Daniel?

So what if you can - this brother isn't particularly worried about that anyway. What does concern me more is people I do know, that actively might be trying to check me out.

Oh I'm serious. I have both a personal, and a professional requirement to not have a presence on the Internet.

Whatever. If that's really true, you don't have any business being on the internet at all. It's quite easy to find out who anyone is.

Oh I'm serious. I have both a personal, and a professional requirement to not have a presence on the Internet.

Whatever. If that's really true, you don't have any business being on the internet at all. It's quite easy to find out who anyone is.

IMHO, a little harsh don't you think. Why make it easy for some thug to find you?

Many people don't want others knowing who they are mainly for security reasons. I certainly don't want some creep finding this hot chick and stalking me or worse. Also, if my son wanted to register on some sight, you best be damn sure I would NEVER let him use his real name. He is just too cute!

In this community, we know a lot of the members personally, but I would still not put my real name in a post. How about an ounce of common sense people!

Di Out!

russell_bynum

In this community, we know a lot of the members personally, but I would still not put my real name in a post. How about an ounce of common sense people!

Common sense will tell you it's pretty easy to figure out who people are from their web postings with a bit of research. Using a fake name isn't going to do a damn thing. It's like leaving the keys in the ignition of your convertible with the top down, but locking the doors and thinking it is secure.

But I am not going to make it totally simple for them. Yes, I realize the risks I take. I am an adult with common sense. Children on the other hand don't.

I just don't think I care to have the whole world google my name and see what I am doing, where I ride to and if I am doing shots at that moment.

russell_bynum
But I am not going to make it totally simple for them.

That's what we're saying. Using a fake name makes it a little harder, but not much.

Do a google search on the info in your profile here and see what you find. It really doesn't take much to connect the dots. If someone reads one of your posts and says "What can I find out about this person?", they'll find a bunch of stuff. Pictures, email addresses, etc. If someone snaps picture of your bike at a ride and gets your plate in the shot, that's more info I can use. Some forums post the IP address that you used when you were posting. That tells me your ISP and often your geographic location down to a surprisingly small area. There's likely gobs of information about you out there. It takes a bit longer to piece it together than if you did everything under your real name, but it really isn't that hard.

I just don't think I care to have the whole world google my name and see what I am doing, where I ride to and if I am doing shots at that moment.

That's all well and good, but don't think that because you use a fake name, that someone can't connect the dots and figure out who you are, where you live, what you drive, etc.

Some forums post the IP address that you used when you were posting. That tells me your ISP and often your geographic location down to a surprisingly small area.

If one truly wants around this, it's quite easily doable through various anonymizers and other techniques. IP address geolocation information is based on guesses. For most people not trying hard, they're generally correct, but they're hardly definitive. (e.g., When I worked at Autodesk, all Internet traffic was routed from all offices around the world through our data center in Petaluma. Even those people in our Indian and Swiss offices looked to be in Petaluma to all the world.)

Of course, coming to a site like this and trying to be anonymous only diminished the nature and quality of the communication.

russell_bynum
Some forums post the IP address that you used when you were posting. That tells me your ISP and often your geographic location down to a surprisingly small area.

If one truly wants around this, it's quite easily doable through various anonymizers and other techniques. IP address geolocation information is based on guesses. For most people not trying hard, they're generally correct, but they're hardly definitive. (e.g., When I worked at Autodesk, all Internet traffic was routed from all offices around the world through our data center in Petaluma. Even those people in our Indian and Swiss offices looked to be in Petaluma to all the world.)

Of course, coming to a site like this and trying to be anonymous only diminished the nature and quality of the communication.

Absolutely. Same with internet traffic from our company. but that can just be more info for the file.

Access the site from work and from home...now I've got your ISP (and probably your geographical location) and your employer.

Yes, it is possible to be reasonably anonymous on the internet, but that's not "common sense" stuff like not using your real name.

Absolutely. Same with internet traffic from our company. but that can just be more info for the file.

You missed my point, which was that there's no geographical meaning to an IP address. IP addresses may enter and exit regional registries. Blocks may be seized to be CIDRized. The databases that try to guess where an IP is located have to contend with that, as well as internal restructuring at ISPs.

Yes, it is possible to be reasonably anonymous on the internet, but that's not "common sense" stuff like not using your real name.

Well, let's say I'm Mister_Tee. If I'm truly paranoid (and my employer is truly paranoid), I'm not going to log in from work. If I'm not using TOR or some remote anonymizer, at most you've got my IP. Then what? As an individual, there's not much you can do. If my provider gives you my name, they're legally liable. If you pretext to get it, in California, you may find yourself in jail. So, you've got wait for me to slip up.

Now, if you happen to work at my ISP, you've got a better shot at getting me, but then you're also potentially looking at criminal sanctions. And a good question is whether I'm Mister_Tee anywhere else; I've caught a couple of people trying to remain pseudonymous because they use the same username in multiple places. But let's say I've got a bevy of distinct, unique names everywhere I register.

Daniel provided a lot of correct information about himself while also providing a lot of bogus information. Someone who's reasonably careful and uses only a pseudonym and exposes nothing but an IP address is probably reasonably safe from anyone but private investigators (who will take the risks for the right price), law enforcement (who can get the information if they pay their bills), and parties to civil suits.

Obviously, if I expose much of anything about myself, I throw it all away.

If I did know you offline and were trying to check you out, I'd know that you recently bought an R1200RT and that you might well be looking online for information about it. That would lead me here. A search on this site for "Sacramento" in the last 3 months yields a short list of users.

Looking at your posts, I'd see a part-time mc instructor in Sacramento who also has a GSXR which he rode bone stock for many miles. Ding! Add to that a number of opinions and specialized knowledge that you've shared. Ding! Ding! And, what's this? He's an ex-military intel analyst too? Bingo.

I don't know who you think you're hiding from, but let's hope your employer doesn't care to enforce that "no internet presence" requirement.

IMHO, a little harsh don't you think.

If it's your opinion, then what I think doesn't matter that much, right? grin.gif

Hey, I'm not all that concerned about whether or not it's harsh--I'm more concerned with whether my point was true.

And here again is my point: if it's critical for Mister_T to not divulge his identity, he's already crossed that line by a long stretch, and so his concern is either misplaced or he isn't being very careful.

That's all I'm saying. Besides, anybody who thinks they're anonymous on the web (save for very tech-savvy people like Greg) is fooling themselves. Heck, Russell masquerades as a 15 year old teenager and we figure him out constantly! tongue.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
Heck, Russell masquerades as a 15 year old teenager and we figure him out constantly! tongue.gif

What do you mean he's not 15?

russell_bynum

You missed my point, which was that there's no geographical meaning to an IP address. IP addresses may enter and exit regional registries. Blocks may be seized to be CIDRized. The databases that try to guess where an IP is located have to contend with that, as well as internal restructuring at ISPs.

I didn't miss the point. I'm just saying...it's another bit of data.

Well, let's say I'm Mister_Tee. If I'm truly paranoid (and my employer is truly paranoid), I'm not going to log in from work. If I'm not using TOR or some remote anonymizer, at most you've got my IP. Then what? As an individual, there's not much you can do. If my provider gives you my name, they're legally liable. If you pretext to get it, in California, you may find yourself in jail. So, you've got wait for me to slip up.

Now, if you happen to work at my ISP, you've got a better shot at getting me, but then you're also potentially looking at criminal sanctions. And a good question is whether I'm Mister_Tee anywhere else; I've caught a couple of people trying to remain pseudonymous because they use the same username in multiple places. But let's say I've got a bevy of distinct, unique names everywhere I register.

Daniel provided a lot of correct information about himself while also providing a lot of bogus information. Someone who's reasonably careful and uses only a pseudonym and exposes nothing but an IP address is probably reasonably safe from anyone but private investigators (who will take the risks for the right price), law enforcement (who can get the information if they pay their bills), and parties to civil suits.

Obviously, if I expose much of anything about myself, I throw it all away.

Exactly.

Everywhere you post, you open yourself up more. If it's a place like this and you ever go to any real events, then you risk having your picture, a picture of your bike (maybe with license plate visible), etc.

It's all just bits of information that you're dropping all over the 'net and it usually isn't hard to (legally) figure out a bunch of stuff about a person just based on the stuff they post on the interwebs.

Post here using a fake name, but put your email in your profile. I google your email and find a complaint you filed with XYZ company at their website regarding some stale Cheetos you bought from them. That gives me your first name. Etc etc etc.

Like I said, it's definitely possible to be reasonably anonymous, but just using a fake name as your display name isn't going to do it.

I think a few of you are really missing the point. If someone here really wants to put the time and effort to track me down, I DON'T CARE! I would never divulge anything confidential, or criminal for that matter, even anonymously. I'm neither worried about men in black suits, or the police - it's the casual surfers I'm shielding myself against.

And I see a lot of pseudonyms here - I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one with the same concerns.

BTW the local dealer in Sacramento wouldn't budge on price, so I didn't buy my RT there.

Archived