IGNORED

The Desert in Bloom March 08

azkaisr

After riding back yesterday, I left the GT in the garage and took out the Mr. G along with my parents to see how much the desert was in bloom.

263870160_YQirp-XL.jpg

The ride out to the Apache Trail was crazy busy but once the pavement ended most of the cars turned back.

263868737_f8VJE-XL.jpg

263871089_XG7ym-XL.jpg263872085_2ZWhZ-XL.jpg

263873205_JcrTD-XL.jpg263877953_xKpvJ-XL.jpg263879505_4bSro-XL.jpg263891052_WWtHn-XL.jpg

263891681_U32wW-XL.jpg

All in all a good day.

Now that is fine... uhhh I mean Worthy!

With any luck, I'll be riding that road Friday. Would you say an RT would be ok on it through to Globe?

So good that you are feeling better!

Jan

Joe Frickin' Friday

Except for the cacti, that doesn't like like anything I'd have thought would be classed as a desert.

Fantastic; thanks for the pics. thumbsup.gif

Except for the cacti, that doesn't like like anything I'd have thought would be classed as a desert.

Mitch,

It's a La Nina (don't let Francois hear). Wet year. Check out this site. I am so ready to see this for myself! clap.gifcool.gif

Jan

With any luck, I'll be riding that road Friday. Would you say an RT would be ok on it through to Globe?

Jan

Jan

You will be totally fine on the RT. If you are going East on the Trail from Apache Junction there is a small water crossing that is paved right outside Tortilla Flat. After the road turns to dirt, you will go down a pretty steep grade into Fish Creek. Again with not a lot of traffic, no issue for the RT. About mile marker 224 there is some light road work that may have a little loose dirt but should be worn enough that you won't feel uncomfortable. Right around Apache Lake is the loosest gravel and it isn't bad. The road gets a little rougher (not bad at all) until you get to the dam.

If you turn right to Globe to come back into town two things.

1. Go check out the Boyce Thompson Arboretum. It is worthy.

2. There is a Renaissance Festival going on just before you get back into town. Not sure but I think it is open Fridays so you may have some traffic.

Jan

Jan

You will be totally fine on the RT. If you are going East on the Trail from Apache Junction there is a small water crossing that is paved right outside Tortilla Flat. After the road turns to dirt, you will go down a pretty steep grade into Fish Creek. Again with not a lot of traffic, no issue for the RT. About mile marker 224 there is some light road work that may have a little loose dirt but should be worn enough that you won't feel uncomfortable. Right around Apache Lake is the loosest gravel and it isn't bad. The road gets a little rougher (not bad at all) until you get to the dam.

If you turn right to Globe to come back into town two things.

1. Go check out the Boyce Thompson Arboretum. It is worthy.

2. There is a Renaissance Festival going on just before you get back into town. Not sure but I think it is open Fridays so you may have some traffic.

Tom,

Thanks! Howard said it was fine, but there's nothing like an "I was just there" kind of report!

The route as we have it now is to run through Tortilla Flat to Globe and out 70 to Clifton, then up 191 to Springerville for the first night. Google Maps is telling me it's ten hours of saddle time. I think we're going to have to hit it early and hard. The arboretum sounds like my kind of place, but I don't think we can stop this time.

That leaves us an 8 hour day through Monument Valley to make Moab on Saturday night.

Hey, I think that pretty new K-bike needs another ride to get the sides of the tires scrubbed in. You got to erase those chicken strips you wore into them on all that slab to San Diego and back! That Apache Trail would be just the thing see how that new machine handles with the cruise control off, if you know what I mean. Sure you really have to work Friday morning?

Once again, thanks for the pictures!

Jan

DenverWayne

I agree the RT can handle the Apache trail road with no problems. The other day rode up thru Tortilla Flats to the Roosevelt dam then on the Globe. The flowers were prominent about mile post 205 as you approach Tortilla Flats. The paved road turns to gavel about five miles past the Flats. It is a good gravel road with several steep spots but very manageable.I think it had a oil base at one time but is not covered with gravel. I just told my RT that it was a GS for a day.

Today I rode up the Bush Highway to highway 87 that goes on to Payson, Highway 87 is a controlled four lane highway with a few curves. Payson is a good place to stop for lunch. The flowers along the Bush highway were even more prolific and the road is entirely paved. Have a good ride.

Currently at Usery Regional Park

Francois_Dumas

Great pictures Tom (oh, next time, hit a 'carriage return' in between them? smile.gif ).

And Jan, I HEARD ! tongue.gifgrin.gif

Francois

Great pictures Tom (oh, next time, hit a 'carriage return' in between them? smile.gif ).

And Jan, I HEARD ! tongue.gifgrin.gif

Francois

Yes Dad crazy.gif

thumbsup.gif

PhillyFlash

Fantastic; thanks for the pics. thumbsup.gif

Come visit in the summer. You'll believe it's the desert. Even in the spring, when you're out in the middle of it, it's defnitely a desert. It's not the Sahara, where there's endless miles of just sand. The Sonoran Desert is very lush with desert vegetation, but most of the time it is dry, stark, and dangerous. Just ask the dozens of illegal aliens who sneak across the border to our south and end up dying of thirst, exposure, and/or dehydration - Summer, Winter, Spring, or Fall. Even Bear Grylls would find it a challenge, especially right before the monsoons hit.

PhillyFlash
Thanks! Howard said it was fine, but there's nothing like an "I was just there" kind of report!

The route as we have it now is to run through Tortilla Flat to Globe and out 70 to Clifton, then up 191 to Springerville for the first night.

Did it both ways on my 1200RT, following Bounce and Lisa. Not a problem, but you do need to watch your speed. Also, take it slow going down Fish Creek Hill. Some of the turns are very rough, and the cars coming up tend to drift into your lane, when you actually have a lane.

If you reach Globe around lunch time, and you're hungry for Mexican, stop at the El Rey Restaurant. It's on the left side of US 60, just as you reach Globe, right after the Italian Restaurant (also on the left). El Rey has great green chili burros enchelada style (the only way to get them), cheese crisps, chicken enchiladas, and other basic Mexican fare. Looks like a dive from the outside with a large dirt parking area, but don't let that fool you. It's a local, and not-so-local, favorite. Ain't that so, Tommy.

PhillyFlash
Today I rode up the Bush Highway to highway 87 that goes on to Payson, Highway 87 is a controlled four lane highway with a few curves.

A few curves???

PhillyFlash

As nice as the desert looked, Tom was still about a week or two or three too early. It just keeps getting better, and with the amount of Fall and Winter rain we had this year, it promises to be a stellar wildflower season.

Archived