IGNORED

CENTRAL MICHIGAN TECH DAZE

Godfather

The second annual “Central Michigan Tech Daze” will take place on Saturday May 10, 2008 in Cadillac. We will be doing all basic maintenance tasks…Fluid changes, Valve adjustment including rocker end play adjustment, Throttle body sync, Clutch adjustment and Tire changing. If there is anything specific you would like to do, just post it. I will have The BMW Factory manual, Clymer Manual, Haynes Manual, and most all necessary tools on hand such as wrenches, sockets, torx bits, T handle allen wrenches, Torque wrenches, Twinmax, HF tire changer equipped with “Mojo Blocks” and the world famous “Mojo Lever,” Air compressor, drain pans, rags, large hammer (for the stubborn parts), etc, etc.

Coffee, sweet rolls, lunch and non alcoholic beverages will be provided.

Now…who wants to help with the mentoring? Please PM me if you can help out. clap.gif

Post up if you will be there so I know how to plan.

If you want to have tires shipped to me before hand, I will have them on site for you Sat am.

I will be posting directions as we get closer to May 10th.

Hope to see you there! thumbsup.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
Now…who wants to help with the mentoring?

I'll be there. Will bring tools and a Haynes manual. My RT doesn't need anything, but I'll be glad to help others work on their bikes.

Make sure Nevets is bringing the correct funnel. If you are using the TOP part from BMW with threads on it the 2002 TOP is shorter and has fewer threads than the TOP for the 2003 and newer models. Don't ask me how I know. If you are using the mini stan with a regular stopper with no threads of course you are good to go.

Hi,

Had such a great time last year! I will be there again this year. Susan and I will both ride up. Probably stay over night at McGuires afterwards. Susan loves learning how to work on her bike.

Cool! I am confident she will be wrenchin' like a pro...wait, that's not allways good lmao.gif...she will be wrenchin' like someone who wants the job done right!

BTW McGuires is real nice.

OK, too much. You have the kick butt place to hold the Tech Daze...

must convince spouse to spen the evening in Cadillac...

I'll be there.

thumbsup.gif

I'd love to learn how to do the valves and TB sync on my R1200RT. I presume we arrive Friday evening and start Sat morning? I'd be coming up from Cincinnati.

Dave

I'd love to learn how to do the valves and TB sync on my R1200RT. I presume we arrive Friday evening and start Sat morning? I'd be coming up from Cincinnati.

Dave

Dave, We will start Saturday am around 8:30ish +/-...McGuires Resort in Cadillac is a nice place to stay, family owned and operated for 3 generations, Restaurant, bar, two 18 hole golf courses etc. Reasonably priced too!

Steve, So far, one service(I assune 6K) and maybe tires. One valve adjust and TB sync. plus several I'm in's...13 in all...but we are still 5 weeks out. thumbsup.gif This is gonna be GOOD!

Planning on clutch fluid and possibly teathering my mirrors, can someone tell me what to bring for the mirrors? Nevets, I may still be looking for that bleeder, if you can throw it into your tool kit I would appreciate it.

I used two (1 per mirror) 30lb test, 12" long nylon coated stainless multi-strand leaders. Premo. $1.59 each at Meijer. I got one spare I'd be willing to sell for, oh, how about nothing.

Yea, I'll bring the brake bleed funnel and assorter tools... Although, being a month away, somebody remind me!

thumbsup.gif

Just an idea...What do you think about having a MINI swap meet ie; Flea market where attending Tech Daze folks that may have some motorcycle related items, laying around collecting dust, bring them to sell. Nothing elaborate, just lay them out with prices attached and your name so interested party can pay the appropriate seller...let me know what you think. It may add another dimension to an already great day. thumbsup.gif

hmm, maybe...

..as long as we don't take it too seriously

I do have a slightly used clutch friction disc and a spline shaft (with a lot of character) that I would let go for not much. eek.gif This might be a good chance to unload some one-off stuff, etc. Will require thought.

oh yea, and one 30lb test, 12" long nylon coated stainless multi-strand leader, suitable for a mirror tether. $15.99.

thumbsup.gif

I would like to go this year to Cadillac, however there are a few items affecting if I will be able to or not.

1) If my boat is ready for launch

2) If I can get my bike to run eek.gif

Number 2 is my biggest issue and hopefully I'll have the time to figure it out by then so I may make it to the event and see everyone. I have always had fun at these and I know this one will be just as good.

Bottom line I am a definite maybe on being there. grin.gif

Most of the snow is gone now and the weather is starting to look like spring. We have aprox 14 participants so far with a few unsure. We are only 4 weeks away clap.gif, so if you have not done so yet, start making your plans now to attend. Let me know ASAP so I can be sure to have enough food and supplies on hand. I will be posting directions in the near future. thumbsup.gif

Great News! I have, in my posession, the infamous traveling "Spline Lube for Proctologist" tool. clap.gif It is pre loaded with Moly Lube. All you folks wanting to do this procedure...will have the tool to do so. I will try to get a can of compressed air for pushing the lube into the splines.

Great News! I have, in my posession, the infamous traveling "Spline Lube for Proctologist" tool. clap.gif It is pre loaded with Moly Lube. All you folks wanting to do this procedure...will have the tool to do so. I will try to get a can of compressed air for pushing the lube into the splines.

Ack! Timing isn't good for me since I just did my tear-down and rebuild, but I definetly want to get photographs and measurements of this tool.

thumbsup.gif

Any electrical gurus going to join us? i need to add in some wired items and need help picking out a good keyed lead to hook up a a Centech panel to hook my other goodies to. Currently, I have too many direct battery leads. I have seen some stuff done, but want to get some additional opinions.

Any electrical gurus going to join us? i need to add in some wired items and need help picking out a good keyed lead to hook up a a Centech panel to hook my other goodies to. Currently, I have too many direct battery leads. I have seen some stuff done, but want to get some additional opinions.

I don't know about guru, but I am an electrical engineer. Would this type of connector not work for your application? They are very common.

pACE2-982225reg.jpg

or maybe even these

FemaleSpadeCrimp.jpg

A few questions to consider:

- Do you know what the maximum current draw will be?

- What size (gauge) wire are you using?

- How many poles (wires) do you want to disconnect?

- How often you want to disconnect?

- How much space do you have for connectors?

Are you sure you want or need to use connectors at all? Soldered connections would really be you best bet if you don't need to disconnect items.

PM me if you have questions or want help (I live in Cascade...I think we met before).

Actually, I have lots of the items you showed. What I am trying to do is clean up the wiring and install a centech to help protect the systems. I want to figure the best way to wire in this fuse panel, that I can then run the comm system and the power to the IPOD and/or Phone to, as well as rewire the dongle for my radar detector. I did add it all up once and it was within load. What I want to eliminate are the runs from the front of the bike, directly to the battery. I would like to go from the electrical box, to the fuse panel, and then run the leads forward. I currently use an SAE disconnect at the tank bag, so I can pull it off, and leave the rest of the wires inside. The line back though, runs to the battery. Same with the Comm system power. The radar detector is using the power plug from the speakers, which have sat in a box since purchase. As said, want to do a clean, fused install, with one step from the battery.

1029625-CEN-AP1-sm.jpg.86dbd4c91a275928742320d05789ef95.jpg

I admit to being a litle confused on what you are asking. Perhaps a drawing/schematic of what you are trying to accomplish would help. If you posted the question on the "Bike Related Things" forum you would get some more visability and ideas.

thumbsup.gif

Sounds like he is looking to install a terminal strip or a fuse block of some kind unless I also misunderstood. Can't wait to see the outcome on the 10th.

Actually, if you go back to my first post on this topic, I asked if there was anybody going to the tech daze that was a good electrical person. I like being able to talk over and point when hooking stuff up. I have heard and read about folks using a lead off the stock fuze panel to run any number of electrical stuff. I am looking to wire in the centch panel, to a switched source. This is the part I need someone to point at and grunt along with me. I will then hook a number of items to the new fuse panel. These things include the power for my J&M CB Radio, the leads for my IPOD, and the lead for the radar detector. Most of these are currently run to the battery positive terminal. They have in line fuses, but it is not the cleanest install. Since there will be smart folks in Cadillac, I was hoping to hear from someone going that had done a switched hookup.

Thanks

Actually, if you go back to my first post on this topic, I asked if there was anybody going to the tech daze that was a good electrical person. I like being able to talk over and point when hooking stuff up. I have heard and read about folks using a lead off the stock fuze panel to run any number of electrical stuff. I am looking to wire in the centch panel, to a switched source. This is the part I need someone to point at and grunt along with me. I will then hook a number of items to the new fuse panel. These things include the power for my J&M CB Radio, the leads for my IPOD, and the lead for the radar detector. Most of these are currently run to the battery positive terminal. They have in line fuses, but it is not the cleanest install. Since there will be smart folks in Cadillac, I was hoping to hear from someone going that had done a switched hookup.

Thanks

okay. can grunt and point (and bring my DVM)

thumbsup.gif

I'll show you how I have my Autocom hooked to the switched power off a spare fuse location. it's simple, but works fine.

See ya there.

grin.gifDIRECTIONS TO THE TECH DAZEgrin.gif

US 131 exit 183 Boon Road. West on Boon Rd 2 miles to Walker Road north 1/10th mile. Fastenall is on the corner of Boon and Walker. There will be a large BMW logo Tech Daze sign for your added convenience on the corner as well.

If comming from M-115, Walker Road is 2.7 Miles east of M-115 on Boon Rd.

The doors will be open at 8:30 and the coffee will be ready to go. thumbsup.gif

...What I am trying to do is clean up the wiring and install a centech to help protect the systems. I want to figure the best way to wire in this fuse panel, that I can then run the comm system and the power to the IPOD and/or Phone to, as well as rewire the dongle for my radar detector. I did add it all up once and it was within load. What I want to eliminate are the runs from the front of the bike, directly to the battery. I would like to go from the electrical box, to the fuse panel, and then run the leads forward. I currently use an SAE disconnect at the tank bag, so I can pull it off, and leave the rest of the wires inside. The line back though, runs to the battery. Same with the Comm system power. The radar detector is using the power plug from the speakers, which have sat in a box since purchase. As said, want to do a clean, fused install, with one step from the battery.

Hi scout. I wont be able to attend the tech daze, but maybe I can throw a couple of ideas your way.

I think a good way to do this would be would be to power the centech directly from the battery and not from the "electrical box" -(which i think you are referring to the bmw fuse box?). Since you want it switched I would put a relay between the centech and the battery, and then control the relay from a +12v switched source such as the fuse box or ignition lead. From looking up some of your posts I assume your doing this on an '02 RT? If so you should have a radio harness you can connect to that has a +12v switched lead. I would avoid trying to tie in to the bmw fuse box because there is not a lot of room to work with in there, and more importantly, that box is made to be weather proof. To connect to anything in there you would have to compromise the integrity of the box and then try to seal the hole you made.

I would run the relay switched lead wire through the radio box grommet (which is very easy and made for that), and connect it to the +12v switched radio wire on the radio connector block. you could pop the wire out of the block and connect them together, or if you have a radio installed, connect the relay wire using a wire tapping addon connector. Depending on how much power you need, choose a relay that will handle that power such as a 15 or 30 amp, etc.

I attached a little diagram as an example.

edit: on the diagram I show a ground coming off the centech. I'm not sure if it has a ground lead since I've never used a centech.

1032190-centech.jpg.7f1fac4910f1c9c63daeee17de8ec46f.jpg

Joe Frickin' Friday
Anybody going up to Cadillac Friday evening? Im thinking about it, but cant decide

Rich Kisler and I will be riding up from Ann Arbor early Saturday morning. If it was any farther I'd seriously consider a hotel for one or two nights, but Cadillac is juuuuust within reach...

Rich Kisler and I will be riding up from Ann Arbor early Saturday morning. If it was any farther I'd seriously consider a hotel for one or two nights, but Cadillac is juuuuust within reach...

Are you coming through GR, and if so about what time? I'll be heading up early Saturday from GR.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Are you coming through GR, and if so about what time? I'll be heading up early Saturday from GR.

Detouring through GR would add 30 miles to our route. Haven't discussed with Rich yet, but I expect we'll either go via Bay City or Lansing.

Detouring through GR would add 30 miles to our route. Haven't discussed with Rich yet, but I expect we'll either go via Bay City or Lansing.

OK. I'll see you in Cadillac.

Everything is set to go. I am going to have a glass of wine then it's off to bed. See yall in the morning. Ride safe!

Central Michigan Tech Daze number two is in the books. We had a GREAT day and I want to thank each and every one who came to Cadillac and help make today such a huge success.

The expertise of Mitch...aka Joe_Frickin_Friday, Burt, Steve...aka Nevets, Reinhard, and many others all contributed to todays event.

There were a lot of tires changed, valve adjustments, TB syncs, cluthh bleeding, and even a major electrical job and accessory re-wiring to a Centec done.

Although most of the wrenchin was on oilheads, we had everything from vintage to airheads to oilheads to K-bikes show up...It was awesome!

Again, a heartfelt "Thank you" to all who participated to made today something special.

Mike

Let the word out, Godfather hosts an awesome tech day and surrounds himself with guys that have a lot of knowledge and are eager to help. Of course they will break your fingers if you screw something up, I think it is that Godfather thing. All kidding aside thanks for a great day, food, fun, fellowship and let the wrenches spin.

Archived