IGNORED

Fuel line quick disconnect cracked

drjay

I was changing the fuel filter on my 2002RT yesterday and not much to my surprise, one QD cracked while trying to disconnect it. I know there is a recall on my bike about this. I was going to bring it to the dealership after doing my 24000 mile maintenance and once the weather was cooperating a bit more here in Maine, but now I have to do something in order to get it there. Here are my options as I see them: 1)get an inexpensive quick disconnect at my NAPA store for about 10 bucks so I can drive it to the shop so they can do the recall while I wait for 2 hours, 2)Buy a new one for the broken one for $30. This is the same as what they will put in and is again plastic, or 3)buy two metal ones from A&S cycles for about $80 with shipping and be done with it. Just wondering what most folks would do? Thanks for the input.

I was changing the fuel filter on my 2002RT yesterday and not much to my surprise, one QD cracked while trying to disconnect it. I know there is a recall on my bike about this. I was going to bring it to the dealership after doing my 24000 mile maintenance and once the weather was cooperating a bit more here in Maine, but now I have to do something in order to get it there. Here are my options as I see them: 1)get an inexpensive quick disconnect at my NAPA store for about 10 bucks so I can drive it to the shop so they can do the recall while I wait for 2 hours, 2)Buy a new one for the broken one for $30. This is the same as what they will put in and is again plastic, or 3)buy two metal ones from A&S cycles for about $80 with shipping and be done with it. Just wondering what most folks would do? Thanks for the input.

Jay, maybe call your dealer & see if they will trade you the old disconnect for a new one (or ones).. As long as they are willing to do the recall why not allow you to do the work & they take the credit for it..

The other recourse is; -IF- it falls under the recall it (the bike) should be picked by the dealer as you had a failure & it should be covered including towing..

Give your dealer a call to see what they have to say..

Twisty

.... one QD cracked while trying to disconnect it. I know there is a recall on my bike about this.

Not 100% sure on this, but I'm thinking the recall was for the "O" ring(s) only.... Not the actual QD.

If your weighing your options, it would be best to call your dealer & get their take on this.

Personally, I'm thinking this is a good time to upgrade to a metal type QD or the hybrid option presented by FB several months back.

If you are going to keep the bike and you seem to enjoy or at least appreciate working on it your self, I would replace it with the A & S metal ones as a permanent fix! You'll probably also want metal high pressure screw down fuel injection fuel line clamps for that size hose as well. If your not going to keep the bike then let the shop replace them under warranty! Just my $0.02! AndyT

As I plan on my RT being my last road bike (other than a scooter for running about town), I decided to buy the A&S steel quick connects because I'll have to do all my own servicing when I retire, as I do now.

The fact that the R1150RT requires an annual brake system flush is reason enough for me to ensure that the connectors are tough and easy to deal with.

If I was planning on moving it on anytime in the foreseeable future, I'd replace them with the cheapest "best" option.

Linz smile.gif

Archived