IGNORED

* SPOILER* Daytona 200 Results

JerryMather

daveinatlanta

Good show for the fledgling BMW crew. Anybody know what happened to Nate Kern? It looks like he did not start.

...and this shows my lack of knowledge re racing - but if BMW has a 160+HP bike in the K1200, why not use that as a race platform rather than the boxer? Being an "R" driver, I glad they have but I wonder...

I think that you will see Brian under the San Jose banner compete in the FX series, comming from 60th to 7th in the Daytona 200 is an amazing feat, especially after a crash.

Good show for the fledgling BMW crew. Anybody know what happened to Nate Kern? It looks like he did not start.

N8! crashed on the first lap, along with another of the HP bikes and finished next-to-last. The remaining two finished 6th and 7th, which are great finishes for bikes w/ basically stock engines. We can expect to see more of the BMWs this year in Formula Extreme. clap.gif

daveinatlanta
N8! crashed on the first lap

I saw the first lap crash of the #411 bike and another BMW crash and I replayed it twice but didn't pick up his name or his bike number (111 I think) from the broadcast.

Regardless, what a strong showing against riders with much more track experience and against factory teams and bikes that have years and years of experience and commitment to racing.

Just finished taslking to Chris, to say the least unbeliveable excitement as no one expected such an achivement. When Brian got off the bike at the end of the race, he pulled off his helmet, a big smile not a bead of sweat and he simply asked for some water. One of the great things of racing with Brian is the total lack of drama, he communicates what the bike needs, he helps in any way he can, takes adversity in stride, a total professional gentelman, never any excuses for anything and an absolute delight to be associated with.

Brian was dead last after the crash and fought to 7th. The reason for the crash was cold tires due to several delays getting started, he is perfectly OK.

This is the second time that BMW has amazed all in a major US venu.

The first was at the first 8 hour Moto ST at Daytona, BMW whispered to us " It would be unbeliveable and beyond expectations if we got on the podium", we won.

The second was with this Daytona 200, the hope was a top 20, BMW got a 6th and 7th.

I wonder what would happen if BMW decided to make a real racing motorcycle..........and put it in the hands of Chris, Brian and Coop??????????

Re Nate, he crashed in the warm up laps earlier in the day hurt his wrist real bad and was unable to continue after the first lap due to the pain.

The remaining two finished 6th and 7th, which are great finishes for bikes w/ basically stock engines. .... clap.gif

Twin cam 140hp is is not basically stock.

Earl

The remaining two finished 6th and 7th, which are great finishes for bikes w/ basically stock engines. .... clap.gif

Earl

Ummm...I quote from the BMW website "With a staggering 130 horsepower, the HP 2 Sport features the most powerful Boxer engine ever designed by BMW Motorrad. For the first time ever, double overhead camshafts are included in our famous opposed twin cylinder motor, kicking out even more revs."

I believe that an additional 10hp sounds pretty close to a "basically stock" engine to me. Sorry to hear about N8...he's a pretty cool dude.

russell_bynum

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Congrats to Josh Hayes...errr...I mean Chaz Davies for the win, but IMO these long races are about as interesting as watching paint dry.

Superbike was another colossal snoozefest, too.

And instead of showing us Supersport and Superstock, they took two and a half damn hours for the 15 lap superbike race, replayed the supercross race, and wasted a half-hour in the beginning of their coverage of the 200. Supercross is cool, but they already showed that...why take up time playing it again when you've got other races that haven't aired yet (especially with Supersport...a class that's generally got some pretty interesting racing)?? And why did I need to see 10 minutes of Neil Hodgson/IoM b-reel footage?????

Bah.

When is the next World Superbike race? grin.gif

Earl

For an HP2 Sport it is. You can go to your dealer with about $25k and buy the exact same bike.

I heard that if BMW decides to support the team for the entire Formula Xtreme season now, expect some race prepped motors. thumbsup.gif

twins can be 1200cc, fours are limited to 1000cc

Andy

Wrong race......600cc for four cylinder bikes.

Ducati gets to use the .....848

Triumph....675

BMW....1200

Go Figure....

twins can be 1200cc, fours are limited to 1000cc

Andy

Wrong race......600cc for four cylinder bikes.

Ducati gets to use the .....848

Triumph....675

BMW....1200

Go Figure....

Twins at 1200 only if they are air-cooled in FX. In Superbike I believe it is 1200 twin, 1100 triple and 1000 fours (all liquid cooled)

motorman587

Saw it live and very cool race to watch in person. Glad I went. Hats off to BMW. I remember when Harley was racing the V-Rod engine and never believe they finshed a race.

Brian was dead last after the crash and fought to 7th. The reason for the crash was cold tires due to several delays getting started, he is perfectly OK.

I had a few friends over watching the race. One of my buds swore that the "crash" was due to Brian looking at his GPS while trying to switch tracks on his i-pod. lmao.gif

It was pretty funny....

...and this shows my lack of knowledge re racing - but if BMW has a 160+HP bike in the K1200, why not use that as a race platform rather than the boxer? Being an "R" driver, I glad they have but I wonder...

Dave,

Nate crashed in the infield during the morning warm up and injured his right hand. He tried to race the 200 but pulled off after the first lap as he still did not have full feeling in his right hand. It is hard to twist the throttle if you can't feel it.

harleyjohn45
Saw it live and very cool race to watch in person. Glad I went. Hats off to BMW. I remember when Harley was racing the V-Rod engine and never believe they finshed a race.

the VR finished several races, but not the daytona 200. In 1996, Thomas wilson put the VR over the finish finish line first at the Mid Ohio superbike race. however a red flag was thrown out on the last lap and the finishers were backed up to the prior lap and Pascal Picotte got the win. The VR podiumed several times in its 13 year effort, but never won. It had 1 pole position start, and that was Chris Carr at Pomona. it still had a horrible record, just not enough power and Harley wasn't willing to spend the money. frown.gif

motorman587

the VR finished several races, but not the daytona 200. In 1996, Thomas wilson put the VR over the finish finish line first at the Mid Ohio superbike race. however a red flag was thrown out on the last lap and the finishers were backed up to the prior lap and Pascal Picotte got the win. The VR podiumed several times in its 13 year effort, but never won. It had 1 pole position start, and that was Chris Carr at Pomona. it still had a horrible record, just not enough power and Harley wasn't willing to spend the money. frown.gif

When I saw them in Daytona, again couple of years ago, they would do well, until the first pit stop. They would lose much time and sometimes never come out. I always wondered if it was because the always had a double swingarm. But hey who am I??? I also enjoyed them going around the track.

Archived