IGNORED

digital gear indicator on 97 R1100RT

bmwterry

Can someone tell me if the indicator works with the key on and engine not running?

I just installed a reman trans and wanted to check the neutral and gear position switches before I put the swing are back on. The gas tank is still off, so I can't start it. My neutral light works, but no gear indicator.

TIA!

The RID won't work unless the kill switch is in the 'run' position and the sidestand is up. If you still have the bike apart the sidestand switch position may be preventing you from seeing the gear indication.

Can someone tell me if the indicator works with the key on and engine not running?

I just installed a reman trans and wanted to check the neutral and gear position switches before I put the swing are back on. The gas tank is still off, so I can't start it. My neutral light works, but no gear indicator.

TIA!

Terry, it should work with the just the key on..

Make sure the KILL SWITCH in not turned off..

Make sure the kick stand is not down..

If still no workie__

Check the kick stand & trans switch connectors for being hooked up & no pins pushed out of position..

Make sure you hooked ALL the ground wires up on the trans..

Check the fuses..

Twisty

You guys were right. Side stand was down. I never use the side stand, so have never experienced this before.

Thanks!

You guys were right. Side stand was down. I never use the side stand, so have never experienced this before.

Thanks!

I'm curious. How can you 'never use the sidestand'?

I've always used the centre stands on all the bikes I've owned. I've had this oilhead two years and can't remember ever using the side stand.

The odd situation does come up, like a soft unever shoulder of a road etc.

ShovelStrokeEd

It's simple, really.

There is a tang to deploy the side stand. You just don't push on it with your foot. grin.gif

To be serious, it is possible to dismount from the bike without using the side stand. Takes a little feel for the balance but you can get off. The you put the bike on the center stand or just lean it against a tree or handy wall.

Or you just push on the centerstand tang rather than the sidestand tang and pop the bike up on the centerstand then dismount.

I always use the center stand (except when parked on uneven surfaces) but when I turn off the engine, I put down the side stand, dismount and then put it on the center stand. I feel more comfortable having both feet on the ground after watch my riding buddy drop his 02 RT on the right side after not having good footing before attempting to put his on the center stand.

Archived